Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixing the damage from the Slidecars in the Top of the South ride.
    How it happened:
    As you may be aware, Gus sustained some damage from the Slidecars in the Top of the South. The majority of this damage stemmed from not cycling the forks through their full travel during the initial build. If I had done so I would have realised that there was insufficient clearance between the fork tops & the disc bolts in the last few cms of full compression. The other major contributing factor (to the fork damage) was that the fork springs are still slightly too soft for the ride.

On the ride, the early indicators were:

• That the speedo magnet was ripped from the mount, then
    • The spring clip that the fork guards ride on was shifted from its normal position, then;
    • A few hard hits, where I noted that the zip ties I was using as fork maximum movement indicators forks weren’t getting to full compression, then;
    • Damage resulting in the dust seals being pulled out of the fork tops, then;
    • Damage resulting in fork oil spewing onto the front brake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have purchased a replacement set of forks – these are from a 2003 200 EXC, still WP4860, but not in as nice a condition as the prior set – but I only need one fork top.

In the medium term the additional forks may allow me to set up second disc – but I would have the same issues as this one - the triples were set up for dirt bike hubs & not the wider road bike hubs, & so there is limited room to allow a dual disc set up.

Modifying the brake disc set up:
    The R1200C stock brake disc is held by a combo of bobbin, bolt & wave washer. The disc is circa 5.00mm thick. The bobbins have circa 6.5mm area on which the disc can move. The disc ‘floats’ on the bobbins, with wave washers to suppress the disc rattle. The bobbins connect to the hub with button headed bolts, which sit proud from the disc circa 9.5mm.

To gain clearance, I initially tried switching from a button headed disc bolt to a counter sunk bolt. The Bobbin was counter sunk to match the bolt. However I didn’t get enough clearance with this set up.

[​IMG]

Subsequently I ground down the bobbins to 4.5mm, & dispensed with the wave washers. This means that the discs are now fixed rather than fully floating. I have also replaced the 8mm x 20mm button head bolts with 8 x 16mm counter sunk bolts, & also counter sunk the bobbins to accept these. This takes the area proud of the disc from 9.5mm to just above 3.00mm.

[​IMG]
    Safety Third...

Once all of that was done, the disc bolts were a whisker away from the fork leg. However that didn't provide for the snap ring that the fork guards ride on. So I have filed a small amount off the hub ‘arms’ that the disc bolts to. I’ve now achieved circa 1.5mm clearance, which should be okay.

[​IMG]

Speedo Magnet:
    The speedo magnet was ripped out early in the South Island trip. That was bolting into a converted ABS ring mount. I have shortened that slightly, drilled the damaged portion out, & helicoiled it.

Repairing the forks:
    Built up a new LHS fork leg from the cartridge & lower stauntion of the original, and the fork top from the new forks. I did this because the replacement LHS fork lower had a nasty rust snarl right near the bottom compression.

This meant pulling both forks down to component parts. I needed to Dremel out the damage from the original fork top - otherwise it wouldn't release the fork seal & bushes. Ironic.

I've found a ground down 19mm socket works well with a rattle gun to release the bottom compression adjuster nut.

I have rebuilt the leg using the best of the bushes from the two legs. Here are a few You Tube videos that were helpful with that. Note in the Rocky Mountain video where he talks about three bushes, two bushes of equal apparent size, but that the thicker of the two goes on the bottom.

Rebound damping:
    Once reassembled, I noticed that there wasn't any/much rebound, & the adjuster wasn't bottoming out. Got up to 50 clicks before I realised that maybe the adjuster wasn't working. The video below helped resolve that issue. It was a combination of both issues raised in that video.

In addition to this, the clicker was missing the location prong on the base of the adjuster - the adjuster still worked, but this couldn't positively locate. By gently prying up the adjustment knob, I was able to disassemble this, which then allowed me to swap the good parts from the replacement fork top into the older fork top (I wanted to retain a matched pair).

The clickers work with a small spring bored thru the clicker, with ball bearings in each detent. Watch out for those little buggers - I have a very clear area under my work bench now after they went missing multiple times (apparently I am a slow leaner). A bit of grease helps them not rocket off so much...

Modifying the fork spring rate:
    Stock EXC spring length is 505 mm. A set of aftermarket KTM 690 springs have come up with an original length of 457mm, and a spring rate of 0.58kg/mm. I would need to reduce these by 25mm, which would up the spring rate to ...hmmm.

Starter issues
    Wayne's starter died just as I was about to take Gus out for a 1st test ride. So I needed to rebuild a starter motor sooner than expected.

Pulled the EME starter down, cleaned it & then put a valeo nose casting on from the starter Gus previously ate at the Makairo Meander. Then buttoned everything back together. It was a very noisy starter - I'm guessing something bent when the casting broke. Shortly after that it refused to start again. Bugger...

So I have made a new starter out of the remains of Gus's Makairo starter, & Wayne's planetary gears & sprag clutch. So far so good.
    Mark_S and Manakau.KTM like this.
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you have paid for your sins and won't do that again...?:pope
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The Birthday Run - 16th Dec 18:

Warning - truly hardcore content. Read at your peril...

Mum’s birthday Monday (she’s 81, not in the best of health, thank you for asking), & I’d finally got the sidecar repaired after the Slidecars in the Top of the South sojourn. I decided I’d take a ride up to see her on Sunday, via Wairarapa, to avoid the traffic chaos that is SH1 at present.

Mrs Box.a.bits decided she’d like to come along, so that changed the dynamic a bit, but okay, that’s what the sidecar is really all about.

Spent Saturday night exorcizing a wee wobble from the brake disc that was pushing the brake pucks back into the caliper. A double pump on the brakes is not ideal. And after that work, yahoo, we have functional brakes again.

Moderately quick trip over the Remutaka’s, slightly overcast day, but clearing as we went along.

An early lunch at Wild Oats Cafe in Carterton, mushrooms on toast for Madam & a big breakfast for Sir. Oh, and lots of coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Bypassed Masterton, took the back way thru Mauriceville, but oops, 'Houston, we have a problem'. The sidecar seems to have a mind of its own, and has turned right into Bowen Rd, a tight narrow, grass-up-the-centre gravel road. Bugger, don’t know how that happened. That leads onto Maungaoranga Rd, a super highway of a gravel road, & wouldn’t you know it, a short cut to Eketahuna. Perhaps the sidecar knew where it was going after all.

Thru Mangamaire, linking onto the Pahiatua Track, & round to mum & dad’s. Then Mrs Box.a.bits admitted she enjoyed the ride, even after the noise about the gravel.

A couple of hrs later, seems only fair we visit Mrs Box.a.bit’s mum. Only issue was she wasn’t there, so we burgled the place, had a cup of tea, & made ourselves comfortable for an hour or so. When it became apparent she wasn’t coming home for dinner, we left.

Because it was now late, Mrs Box.a.bits determined we would be best to go straight down SHI. I need to make it clear here that this was against my firm protests.

Now the sidecar was a bit thirsty on the South Island trip, & we’d done a few kms since Remutex, so I decided to see what we’d get from a tank. We hit first reserve at Ohau, which didn’t last long at all, & quickly flicked across to second reserve. Should easily make Otaki. Oops, no, we ran out just outside of the township, before the bridge. Bugger. Only 14 or 15 kms between Ohau & Otaki. May need to replace the petcock straws...I think

While we were sorting that out, a Nissan Skyline screamed past, between two lanes of heavy traffic, down the double yellow lines, & heading north, closely followed by 2 police cars. We were sure we were about to witness a fatality. The cops really really wanted to talk to that guy. But I don't think they did (later we saw more cops, waiting with spike strips).

Walked with the tank to get gas at the BP (45 mins in broiling heat), and was lucky enough to get a ride back. In the interim, Mrs Box.a.bits entertained a couple of motorcyclists who stopped to help, & some passing tourists on cycles, who had a ½ litre of fuel, which would just have done the trick. Oh, & I was passed by the AA serviceman, who I'd originally decided not to disturb.

Fueled up again, after yet another trip to the BP, & we enjoyed a smooth trip from there on. Until the expressway, just after the last turnoff into Paraparaumu. Where we hit traffic. Which was fully stopped. At first it was novelty. Mrs Box.a.bits was riding along without a helmet for a bit there, so she could snack & talk, & chat with the kids in the car ahead of us. But that soon paled. Inched along for the next 2 & ½ hrs thru to Mackays Crossing. Clutch & engine really didn't enjoy that. We did consider the breakdown lane – on a solo that would have been more of an option.

[​IMG]
    No, that blurriness is your eyes - really. All my pictures are perfect

Home at about 9.00. A bit of an adventure, what....I think we’ll avoid SH1 for a bit now.

Maintenance 2nd Jan 18:
    Oil changes:
    251,289 Kms - changed the

• final drive oil, which was filthy. 200 mls retrieved - 260 ml capacity.
    • gearbox oil - the magnetic drain plug had some metallic paste on it, which is in line with my expectations for a rebuilt gearbox & new first gear.
    • engine oils. Didn't do a filter change. Engine oil was fine (but dirty as expected). Given the engine oil did the long idle at Mackays crossing, i probably should have done the filter as well (but didn't).
    Jetting:
    Been annoyed by the gas consumption, & a stumble just off idle, exacerbated in the hot weather. Tried re-jetting. Noted a while ago that the spark plugs showed lean. Richened up with needle jets & then raising the needle. But that didn't help (though it showed richer in the plug chops).

Coming up Ngauranga Gorge, I noted that the Gus sped up if I slightly closed the throttle from WFO, so upped the main jet from 150 to 160. Suddenly all the plug chops were way rich (sooty). Thinking about this, I've just been using one fuel tap on, & the plug chops are usually after coming up the gorge, so I think the tap has caused a partial fuel starvation, hence the lean plugs. When I put in the 1.60 main jet I used both fuel taps.

So I initially went back down to 2nd clip up from the bottom on the needle & a 2.66 on the needle jet, & now 3rd clip up from the bottom, & (initially 2.68 but now) a 2.66 needle jet. Each clip up is the approximate equivalent of 2 & 1/2 needle jet changes. Running better. Oh, and shifted back to the 150 main jets. We'll see on fuel consumption, but plug colour is very nice & the bike is running well..

Fuel taps:
    Put some of the blame for running out of gas on disintegrating fuel taps straws, so have replaced those with brass ones. However the replaced straws weren't quite as bad as i'd thought, so quite why we ran out of fuel so early remains a puzzler.
    wairau and Night Falcon like this.
  4. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the cholesterol like these days.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    dazzadm, EVLED and steam powered like this.
  6. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that
  7. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....

20190109_083304.jpg
    Night Falcon, Mark_S and Box'a'bits like this.
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    There's a bunch of weird & wacky sidecars out there - from beer /wine /whisky barrels, bombs, rockets, aircraft drop tanks, dodgem cars, fairground attraction rides, Chariots, hearses, aircraft replicas, boats, bottles, 44 gallon drums, bathtubs, VW Vans, 2CVs, caravans, you name it someone will have built it.

[​IMG]
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  9. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    My favourite:

[​IMG]
    Muzz67, Night Falcon and Manakau.KTM like this.
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon likes this.
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Pohangina West Rd / Ridge Rd -13th Jan '19
    First full week back at work Monday, & by Tuesday I was already planning a bike ride for the weekend. The weather forecast for Sunday was spotless. I may have mentioned this to Mrs Box.a.bits, & suddenly we were committed to taking her to PNth to a family function at the out-laws. But in the sidecar was okay – the Subaru has been out of action since prior to Xmas - waiting on parts.

Of course once you’ve committed to something like that the weather forecast immediately changes. And the agreed pre 9.00am start magically became a 9.30 am start, & of course there’ll be a compulsory coffee stop on the way up.

I got to act as a wind sock heading up the motorway. Fun times. A few showers swirled through, but mainly missed us. However the weather improved the further north we went.

Coffee at the Museum Cafe, between Levin & Shannon. The scone came with jam & cream. Mmmm...

A bit of rain on warm ground just before Tokomaru – we just missed any precipitation, but just got the benefits. You know that warm moist alive smell just after summmer rain?

Did a drop & dash at the out-laws at 12.30, & headed out Pohangina Valley West Rd. Quite a bit of cloud on Takapari Rd, & there’d been showers through earlier. No real rush to the day, minimal dust once I hit gravel. And the weather continued to improve. But I decided not to do Takapari, as the potential combo of wind & rain didn’t appeal.

No action shots from here – hard to do when you’re on your own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was quite surprised by this bridge. Obviously new. But the deck is steel sprayed over with bitumen. With holes to let the water through. Seemed... temporary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instead headed up to Apiti – had chilli sandwiches sitting in the bus stop, then hit Ridge Rd back to Pohangina. Saw 27 & 28 degrees round there.

[​IMG]

They’ve been logging at the Pohangina end of Ridge Rd – some potholes & corrugations forming, especially going down Finnis Rd

[​IMG]

Back to PNth, & fueled up to avoid a re run of the Otaki embarrassment from the last ride home from PNth. The jetting I’ve done has improved mileage – from 10kms/litre to 12 kms/litre. The R80 got 14kms/litre on the same motor. More work needed, but headed in the right direction.

Queues before Otaki, & at MacKays crossing. But no where near as bad as last time. Fish & chips at the beach at Plimmerton.

Thoughts on the current set up:
    The Kenda K71 rear is just about dead. Too soft to act as a sidecar tug tyre, both in the sidewall (flex), & also in compound. Probably ideal in the Clarence however. Next up is a choice between using up the Shinko 805, or a Shinko 705, or Conti Escape, or a V Rubber V163... all 'price is right' tyres.

Comparing the current set up (R100GS) against the prior (R80 mono) -
    • A far better subframe & link into the chair;
    • A better set up for the seal & when carrying a monkey, in terms of steering effort & comfort;
    • The longer travel suspension is nice to have - but there is a price in 'roll';
    • The current gearing is actually a pain. In the headwinds I was running in 4th;
    • Not the precision tool that the R80 mono was on gravel. Slides nicely to the right, but I have trouble getting slides going to the left. Partially that is because of the lack of weight in the chair. But a chunk of that I put down to para-lever back end. It chatters over corrugations, & doesn’t drive into the gravel when I throttle on like the R80 did. I may think about a Mono rear end.
    Maintenance 16 Jan 19:
    Pulled the ICU off & gave it a good clean. The grime was so thick under the dust, it looked like the alloy heat sink had been rattle canned black. Renewed the heat sink paste between the ICU & heatsink.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Reset the timing (it was out) & balanced the carbs. I'm pretty sure that the stumble off idle will be fixed now, & will be interested as to what the resultant fuel consumption is after these tweaks.
  12. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Future project maybe...
    [​IMG]
    Zebedee and Night Falcon like this.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @bart-nz there is a lot to like in that picture.
  14. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cemetery Circuit on Boxing Day. Took a while to figure out how to best get photos of bikes going that fast. Really like that shot though. Being a beemer I had to put it on here.

Here's another one

[​IMG]

This chick was loving it

[​IMG]

I'll do a real write up eventually. Cheers
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    BTW the Gus thread clicked over 250,000 views a few days ago. But is now languishing on page 2. Only fair I guess as Gus has moved over here.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    222 I see what you did there :lol3
  17. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    it was unintentional - he's not that clever
    dazzadm, bart-nz and Night Falcon like this.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Heading over the hill tomorrow (saturday) to terrorise a few sheep. Probably the Hinakura / Admiral Rd loop. At Rimutex at 8.30ish. Possibly link up with a few people from farcebook
  19. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would've joined you for sure but dressing the Pasifika stage at Odlins tomorrow. Was over there today setting up a wedding and had the bacon and corn chowder at the village cafe. Yummmmm
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Kind'a figured that this time of the year would be busy for you with weddings & the like. Wasn't going to do this ride, but today was one out of the box, & I'm hoping that it'll continue for the morning at least tomorrow.
    Manakau.KTM likes this.