Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Backroads to Woodville - 31st Mar 19:
    There was a choice of 3 rides this weekend. But only one that really suited inviting Mrs Box’a’bits to. That was Rowan’s (Motomart linked) ride to Woodville. That ticked a lot of boxes. Good chance of a mix of other female riders & pillions, social - good people, & a high chance of gravel.

The ride started from Motomart at 9.00am, & we only just pulled in as they were about to leave. I'd nearly made a blunder, thinking this weekend was the end of daylight savings, but the real delay was getting Mrs Box’a’bits out of bed and up & running.

We had a fairly sketchy ride over the Remutakas – not really feeling the rhythym, & even as late as Carterton there were potential distractions (ohh, look, lets go grab some mushrooms...).

The first regroup was at Mobil at Chapel St / Te Ore Ore Rd. Topped off the tank there (& the spare 5 litre jerrycan I have been instructed to carry for reasons I don’t really wish to get into). 15 other bikes, some two up.

[​IMG]

Initially rode Te Ore Ore–Biddiford Rd (promising...), but then turned into Whangaehu Valley Rd (which was disappointing). That meant lots of tight-ish seal – which is way harder work for me. Perhaps it was the group size.

Part way thru there Mrs Box’a’bits instructions were fairly firm & to the point. ‘I don’t feel too comfortable with the speed you are going, slow down.’ ‘Just trying to stay with the group, dear’.

Regroup at Bartons Line. Rowan didn’t even need to finish instructions regarding riding at your own pace, before I shot off, keen to stay out of the dust, & not be held up by other riders. We got just a wee bit of sliding action going on, which Mrs Box’a’bits completely got into. Okay...The bike seems to be handling much better now...

[​IMG]
    Mrs Box'a'bits playing at being 'Wilson'.

We stopped just before Alfredton Rd to warn an unsuspecting lady in a ute that there might be a bunch of barely in control bikes heading her way. Interestingly the first bike to arrive at the regroup intersection was a Ducati Scrambler. That slightly reordered my estimation of that bike’s capabilities. Nice.

Left, then right into Tawaitaia Rd, right onto Mangaone Valley Rd , link across to Pahiatua Pongora Rd, followed by Millers Rd/Waituna Rd/Hopeland Rd yadda yadda yadda.

[​IMG]
    Google Maps didn't quite get it right, but close enough

Lunch at Woodville, at the Black Cafe. I had a latte (weak, & not great coffee) & the big breakfast (disappointing), Mrs Box’a’bits a Hot Chocolate (sweet) & the Eggs Benedict with salmon (salmon was a bit salty). If we have to go back, we will just try cabinet food. The pies looked okay.

From there, everyone went their own ways. We headed back down SH2, gassed at Eketahuna, then Mangone Rd, Bowen Rd (a favourite), Opaki – Kaiparoro Rd, & then back out to SH2.

Stopped at Queen Elizabeth Park for a leg stretch. Then droned back on SH2. A bit more restrained over the Remutakas, in part enforced by the 2 stock trucks which caused huge tail backs on the Upper Hutt side. 27-28 degrees in Masterton, all the way back to Upper Hutt, so we were a little over it...

Mrs Box’a’bits enjoyed the day, especially the gravel. Success!
    dazzadm, Night Falcon, EVLED and 2 others like this.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice RR again Steve.

That Scrambler sure is a looker :sweeti The Ducati's are a better set up Scrambler than their Triumph counterparts IMO.... although the new 1200 Triumphs have been getting good reviews.
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, great RR. Good to hear Mrs Boxabits enjoying it, I hope the same happens when I get time to put my unit together.

I rode a Ducati Scrambler Icon and enjoyed it. I thought the bike felt too small for me and wanted to ride the Desert sled, which sitting on felt much better but it wasn't road legal... probably just as well, as I probably would have bought it.:aceI'm sure I would have heard all about it if I had...
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    not wanting hijack @Box'a'bits thread....but I don't want to take the new 790 for a test ride for the same reason.

There were 4 rides this last weekend Steve, actually 5 if you count the 200 or so Hell's angels that passed me while I was waiting in Ashurst on Saturday to catch up with Wade (on his new to him 690) & Ali who did Takapari and North Range roads. Ali took a dip in one of the mud holes apparently :D
    IMG_1660 (2).JPG
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    A bunch of riders in our group were going up to North Range Rd after lunch. I seriously thought about it, but decided that might be a bridge too far this trip.

Alastair's (Wade's old) KLR just keeps on chugging doesn't it....it's had a hard time from both of them, & just comes back for more.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I once asked my wife if I should buy a bike. She said 'Do what you think...'

Apparently that didn't mean yes.
    Zebedee and Night Falcon like this.
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeesss, I have heard that term before:doh
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    MAINTENANCE 14th Apr '19:
    Today was supposed to be a full on maintenance day, BUT I got distracted by my wife’s ‘hunni-do’ list in the arvo, so that collapsed a bit.

I had a few jobs lined up, which I’ll likely now reschedule for the week:
    • Change the grips on the sidecar;
    • Change the RHS forkleg, as this is weeping;
    • Pulling the fuel taps to figure out the mystery of the missing reserve;
    • Figuring out some short term fixes for the Mosko Moto bags.
    Changing the grips:
    I’ve worn the RHS grip thru to the heated grip resisters. I figured that any attempt to use the heating function might result on more warmth than I was looking for.

[​IMG]

These are Oxford Heated Grips, & have worn pretty well - I put these on when I first got Gus in 2010. The LHS grip was damaged when I replaced bars, so has been replaced with a used grip - still in okay condition

I looked at heated grip replacement options:
    • New Oxford Heated grips are $169 retail - I've just splashed out on a set for the Supertanker;
    • Boyds have a RHS grip & heating element for circa $60;
    • I could replace the grip for $29.
    I’ve adopted the last option because I’m cheap, there are some bigger bike related expenses coming, & I prefer the quiet life.

The old grip was stripped off to expose the heating element. The grip was cut on the inboard side so that the wiring remained in place.

[​IMG]

I wrapped the heating element in self vulcanising tape, so that when I pushed on the new grip, then the heating element remained largely undisturbed. The tape was wound from the inside of the grip out, so that the tape overlaps wouldn’t be picked up as I pushed on the grip.

The new (Oxford) grip was cut, so that the length of the grip was correct for the throttle. In this instance I cut off the inboard end, so that this would match with the residual from the old grip. I used an old broom handle to support the grip, to allow for a clean cut.

[​IMG]

The new grip was then pushed into place. Unfortunately I didn’t use quite enough glue to allow this to slide on smoothly, which is why the grip isn’t quite even.

[​IMG]

RHS fork:
    The fork seal is weeping, & cleaning the dust & oil seals hasn’t resolved this.

Given I have another RHS fork leg, I will swap this across, but will use the damper assembly from the current leg, so that the LHS & RHS valving remains matched. This is a short term solution only. I intend to rebuild the forks with new seals & bushes.

Mosko Moto Bags:
    I bought 35 litre Back Country Panniers in 2014. Those were the 1st generation of these bags. I've been using the RHS bag for commuting on the Supertanker, to keep my laptop dry. The UV has faded the cordura, & the PVC has started to delaminate in places.

The other day I noticed the bag mounts have started to break up. I've been running the LHS on the sidecar & the RHS on the Supertanker. These were HDPE plastic, & I note that Mosko Moto has now changed these to nylon filled glass. The deterioration is disappointing. I'll pop some photos of this up a little later. @Phreaky Phil & @ztaj , you might want to check yours now. New mounts are available, but are a bit spendy. I’ll need to give a lot more thought to this, given that the bags themselves are also starting to deteriorate.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  9. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    I've already had some issues with the mosko plates. Like you, I found they'd been discontinued but could be specially ordered. I didn't see the $$ but figured it wouldn't be cheap.
    I am :D so fixed it myself.
    Otherwise the bags are still in good nick IMG_20170514_105931.jpg IMG_20170514_105855.jpg
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @ztaj - Yup, that is exactly how I anticipated doing the repair. My mounts are a bit worse than that, because I didn't notice that they were breaking. What did you use to bond the pieces?
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    My left fork has been leaking as well. I recently serviced them to find the top internal spring spacer in both legs had started to rust and this had dropped in to the oil and may have caused the leak. Also appears to have been effecting the shim pack, as the damping controls have improved no end. Might pay to open it up and have a look see?
  12. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Epoxy glue, and just to Rangi it up I went over the joint with a soldering iron.
    Bear in mind this was about 3 days out from putting the bike in a container bound for Aus. There may have been a bit of a panic
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    PUKAHA NATIONAL WILDLIFE RESERVE - 28th April
    After seeing some photos from inmates here recently, & having passed the Pukaha National Wildlife Reserve on numerous occassions, we decided this would be a good time to pay a visit. We were initially going Saturday, but the weather conspired against us, so Sunday it was.

Mrs Box’a’bits packed a picnic the night before (true commitment, considering I was still dubious).

On the road at 9.15am, but still not early enough to reach the reserve in time for the 11.00am walk about tour – missed it by 5 minutes. Good job we didn’t prebook & pay for that then...

Flashed the front entrance – but bugger walking around with riding gear. Swapped to more comfortable jeans & hiking shoes. And the benefit of the chair is you can store way more shit than we’d normally carry on a bike. That’s good, right?

[​IMG]

Entrance fee $20 ea, self guided. Probably would have benefitted from a guide’s expert commentary. Pretty cool under the bush canopy. A reminder that winter is coming. Plenty off Kaka (we can see them in Ngaio), Kokako, Hihi, Koromako (Bellbird), Whio. No Takahe though, even though it’s a breeding centre. Maybe I’ll have to go to Karori to see them, I think there’s some retired ones there. But we did see the white kiwi. And they had some impressively large eels & trout (which I guess will happen if you get regularly hand fed).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I swear that the birds have been trained to make life as difficult as possible for any budding amateur photographers

Nic picced on the tables out in the carpark area – next time I’ll bring the camp stove – the thermos presented fairly luke warm drinks. Otherwise Mrs Box’a’bits prepared a pretty good lunch, & it was a pretty good day for it.

Decided not to go back in, so hit the road back to Masterton via the most gravel I could easily find. But hit a snag, Mrs Box’a’bits wasn’t into it. Should have guessed when she changed into her puffer jacket, from her riding jacket. Bugger it, I’ve been looking forward to this. Short of ditching her on the side of the road...well, she’ll have to cope. But toned down the lurid slides. Beautiful autumnal colours out, so slower wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. Basically followed the same route as the Wairarapa Wandering ride earlier in Mar. Good grip – the roads were still damp from overnight rain

[​IMG]

Gassed up at Mobil Te Ore Ore Rd, slabbed back to Carterton, grabbed a coffee at Wild Oats Cafe.

Had a bit of excitment on the downhill run on the Remutakas. The traffic had slowed ahead of us, then suddenly the car immediately in front of us was hard on the brakes , over....well, nothing really. Bet he was surprised when I slid passed him on double yellows. But it was that, or run up his arse.

Home by 5.00.

[​IMG]

Maintenance 54,778kms - 03/05/19:
    Change the rear tyre to a Shinko 705 - another donated by EddieB. 7.5mm tread depth. The prior tyre did 2460 kms from 5.0mm tread depth - was still legal @2.00mm when I took it off.
  14. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next time you visit, buy your wife lunch. The best viewing platform for the Takahe is on the outside seating area for the Cafe. It doesn't cost anything to get into the cafe.
    Takahe 2.jpg
    WR
    dazzadm, innathyzit, Muzz67 and 2 others like this.
  15. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time we were there, the Kokako in the cage likes men with glasses and beards, If you call her, she comes right up on to the front of the cage and talks to you. Was pretty cool. And yes, the cafe tables are the best place to see the Takahae.
  16. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking like a day trip in the Avensis for me.
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    TAKAPARI RD - 4th May 19
    Marty had talked about revisiting Takapari Rd for a while. Steve Ellwood was looking for someone else to ride with round PNth. And I needed a more technical ride than I'd been doing with Mrs Box'a'bits. Seemed like I could match those three.

The forecast was okay, but Takapari is subalpine, & has real variability in weather conditions. It can be fine off the hills, but have no visibility, &/or huge winds at the top.

Wellington weather was a bit misty & clagged in first thing in the morning. This improved as I went north.

Met Paul, Marty, & Steve at Allied Ashhurst. Marty led the way out, I was tail end charlie. We won’t talk about someone’s missed left hand corner. Good job there was no oncoming traffic. Marty was reliant on his GPS for direction. But I’m guessing his GPS skills need a bit of work. It was a bit of magical mystery tour via Pohangina West to get us there. That suited Steve & I well – there’s gravel that way. A bit on the dusty side though.

Regroup & chat at the Takapari Rd turn off, then into it. I led to the 1st gates, then we played leap frog thru the several gates to the forest portion. Given I don’t need to deploy a sidestand, or worry about dodgy ground, I took on a bit of that. Steve got to play a bit of tag with some recalcitrant steers, who didn’t want to move out of the way, & we got the whole sheep rush hour thing going a little further up the track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At one gate I discovered the limitations of the rear Shinko 705 I’d spooned on the night before. Sustained loss of traction on the grass berm I’d parked on.

Unfortunately by the forestry section Steve’s overheat light was solidly on, so he decided that as things were only going to get slower, perhaps he needed to turn round.

[​IMG]

The forestry section is getting rutted. It’s pretty steep & has a high clay component. But didn’t cause too many issues. Don’t know I’d want to meet anyone coming the other way on portions of it though. They'd have trouble stopping, I'd struggle getting moving again...

[​IMG]
    Photo stolen from Night Falcon's cellphone. Note the stylely shadowing on the far trees

Bounced my way along behind Marty & Paul to near the summit, until Marty decided he wanted some GoPro footage of the sidecar. Of course he decided to do this on the most technical portion of the track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking down on the bustling metropolis of Dannevegas...

[​IMG]
    You can just see the 'A' Frame Hut in the distance, to the right

No ballasting on a light sidecar has pluses & minuses. I don't tend to worry too much about the sidecar track, but I do float or fly the sidecar wheel over the top of the worst of the ruts, potholes & large rocky outcrops. But downhill off camber doesn’t really suit the chair too well, especially as it’s not ballasted. Took a few dabs along the way, & I had to pick my way down a few of the steeper descents.

Got to say this track must be hard on equipment.

Loads of water in the tub. Haven’t decided if that was from the biggish puddle I hyproplaned through, or the Camelbak leaked. Either way, the Merino I left on the seat was soaked.

The retired guys in the Ute at the A Frame hut were surprised to see a sidecar up there. We had a good chat about a load of things including the general detriorating state of the track, people riding trials bikes over the hut, & other assorted acts of vandelism. Also hunting in the area, & where some of the tracks went. Both were retired mechanics, at least one had a quad which he also brought up. We also touched on sidecars, crazy WoF stories, & other things of mutual interest. Nice guys.

Bashed the sidecar back down the track. Funny how the trip out seems to go faster than the trip in. I hit one rocky outcropping pretty hard, so had to stop & inspect the sump for damage. Fortunately the sump guard is pretty robust. Hopefully the wheels are all still round.

Slippy coming back down the forestry section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whizzed round to Steve’s for a tea/coffee. Steve was nice enough to show us the BMW R50/3 he has salted away. V.cool little bike, which I’d love to own (but definitely couldn’t afford). Spilt from the team there.

[​IMG]
    Google maps only shows the road portion.

Coffee at Otaki BP. I was flashed at Paraparaumu by a rain god driving a van (which slowed the traffic down for the next couple of kms), no big queues at MacKays Crossing, home before dark. 434.2kms for the day.

Knackered. But the sidecar went well, & needs a thorough detailing before being stored under dust sheet – which it won’t get. Well, maybe a hose down before Gus resumes commute duties Monday.

Video from Saturday's action courtesy of Night Falcon

MAINTENANCE 55,386 KMS -22/05/19:
    Oils:
    Engine & Oil filter change. Left the gearbox & final drive oils.

Forks:
    Swapped the RHS fork leg externals from the SX to EXC, but keep the damper assembly. This is primarily because that fork leg has started to leak & I need to swap in new bushes & seals. By swapping the EXC leg I get seals that aren't leaking. Cheap, but if it works...Fork oil is 600 mls of Spectro 5w, 100m air gap, 15 clicks out of rebound & compression.

Wheel bearings:
    Changed the front wheel bearings (which was a complete pain). At some stage I'll get John to spin up a spacer to replace the 16005 2RS bearing, which was what had started to fail. The other 2 are 6005 2RS's, which I've packed with more grease to keep the water out. I've swapped in new ones because the old ones were so painful to remove I think I munted them.

Sidecar Wheel Bearings:
    Felt some slop in them, so dropped some new ones in. I've packed these with extra grease. The bearings aren't protected by external seals (just the internal rubber seals they come with).

Attached Files:

18. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Nice. Bummed that I couldn't make it in the end :(
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    nice RR Steve, got some great 'chair' action video to post up .......when I get round to it :D
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    TSS RIDE - WHITE ROCK & TORA 26th May 19:
    Caught the ride invite via Farcebook, decided that the weather, destination, & timing was right, & told Mrs Box.a.bits I was outta-here.

On the drone down the Motorway realised I’d left my camera & GPS at home. Oh well, I know the way & the cell phone will have to do.

Rather than meet at TSS, or Remutex, I decided to leg it across to Martinborough first, to ensure I was set to go. No traffic on the Remutaka’s. Topped off fuel at the BP, then took a strategic seat at the front of the Village Cafe, to indulge my coffee addiction. A Bowl Latte & a heated herb & cheese scone later, & I could see some activity down at the BP, so time to go.

[​IMG]
    Two out of these four riders may have gotten a little 'close' during the ride. But in this inclusive society, we are comfortable with that...

15 Riders, no pillions, so no monkey material...Mainly KTMs (there may have been a 790R), but also an Africa Twin, Tenere 660, DR650, KLR650, F650GS, G650GS & G310GS in there. Gus fitted right in, given he’s running KTM forks, & is a member of the 2nd most represented brand there - he has a bob each way..

Volunteered for Tail End Charlie detail. Fairly recognisable I guess, & no issues with people following me, getting confused by the sidecars different cornering speeds.

Out thru Te Muni Rd (might have made a mistake volunteering to TEC – it’s a bit dusty back here), then onto the seal at White Rock Rd, passed the wind farm, oops nearly missed a left corner when I got caught out with an unexpected camber change on the way down the big hill. Perhaps I should slow down.

[​IMG]

Regroup Tuturumari (well, Stuart was waiting for me – the rest had gone on), back into gravel. Relative speed is down but compartive to the group, mine has gone up. Caught the tail enders fairly quickly & started a stop / start progression to keep myself amused. Chase down the slower riders, stop, take some pictures, lose the coffee, catch the slow riders...

[​IMG]
    This photo isn't out of focus. It's your eyes. Have you thought about getting them checked recently?

The day was a lot better than I expected, & I started getting warm. Open the zippers to let from heat out.

[​IMG]

Regroup again at White Rock, time to break out the gingernuts. No one but Stuart was keen to do the Ngapotiki Station gates. But got a splash & dash with Stuart, then got to chase down the slower riders again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Self levitating rocks. Amazing what wonders the South Coast holds...

[​IMG]
    Individual dust clouds - this photo could have been taken anytime in the last century

Regroup at Tuturumari Y intersection & out to the Tora loop. Seal, then Gravel. This road is a bit more travelled, has finer gravel, & far less of a crown in the road. Took in the sights on the Te Awaiti Rd, & realised my odo is showing 200 kms ridden – and I have a 240ish km range. Lucky I have 5 litres stashed in the boot, but did we really do 200 kms from the last fill? Worried about this all the way back to Martinborough... Sandwiches at Tora.

[​IMG]
    Whadda ya trying to say...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ngawi isn't the only place on the South Coast with big haul out tractors...

Part way back two riders ahead got distracted & tried to take each other out. No real consequences this time. Just an indicator & a tank badge.

Fueled at Martinborough. Only 14 litres to full, so I can’t have reset the ODO at the last fill. Getting around 11kms /litre.

Back to the Royal Hotel at Featherston – fries & another Latte , then home early.

Anyone want to wash a slightly grubby sidecar?
    bart-nz, dazzadm, glitch_oz and 6 others like this.