Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thought. Don't know yet. I think the seat base is stock, so suspect not. Mrs Box'a'bits would be ecstatic if we could make it work though...Me, not so much. Weight may be an issue.

I've just spent a fascinating couple of hrs figuring out how the supplied mounts work on this thing. I have been studying the trade me photos, & assembling based on marks in paint & dirt. I have a spare very corroded swan neck, which I think may connect the flat bar subframe to the bike's frame, under the swing-arm? The mounts (in total) once again weigh a shit tonne, but rely totally on the bikes frame for strength. I'll use them to start with.

My early flat bar attempts at a subframe seem advanced comparatively, and the current subframe & mounts on the Velorex are light years ahead in pure engineering terms.

The new sidecar is still sitting on the trailer looking forlorn...

Post script: Just re-looked at this. Yes I could easily lower the seat. The PO raised it for kiddie transport purposes.
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lowering the seat may reduce some weight..., lower the centre of gravity... but it has to be able to mount to the bike first before that is required. You have priorities...
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Maybe for those real greasy slopes....

Night Falcon, dazzadm and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it would be too comfortable on the open road....:hmmmmm
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    :gerg I predict a broken shaft in that bikes near future comrades :grim
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Actually a real interesting short video. A GSPD converted from a para lever swing arm to a mono swing arm. The wheel has changed to a smaller steel wheel with a car tyre. The final drive has a disc brake on it. The spare has chains on it.

When the track is bolted up, I can see another outboard shock is added to stabilise the wheel/swingarm, given the offset.

It's a steel track rather that running rubber inserts. I'd suggested that was for snowy ground rather than grass. Maybe a conversion from something else? You see similar systems set up on dirt bikes, for use in the winter in Northern climes.

Exciting day today. Taking off the Velorex, dropping in a new Emerald Island driveshaft, bolting up the new/old Chang Jiang sidecar. :clap
    dazzadm and Zebedee like this.
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    SO have you had success today or are you still toiling away, happy as larry:-)?
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Driveshaft is fitted. No fitting problems in the swing arm. This can be an issue as the EI driveshafts yolks are wider than OEM, & there are casting variances in the swing arm tunnels. Won't say it just slipped in with no issues, but there was no grinding involved, & I'm happy that I can slide it in & out comfortably enough to allow the universal joints ('UJs') to be re greased once in a while.

The old driveshaft was still good, but the phasing of the UJs was well & truly out, which gave vibration & an odd out of balance feeling as I rode the commute. In the short term, it would have wrecked the UJs & potentially the gearbox.

I've attached a wee you tube video on the phasing issue - technical

And a look at the differences between the new & old driveshaft..

The Velorex is off.

Some of the mounts that came with the new chair are on.... BUT... we have some fitting challenges.
    • The bottom mounts (that came with the chair) remind me of my first attempt fitting Gus to the Velorex;
    • One of the rear braces won't fit with the current exhaust;
    • The oil cooler may have to come off if I want to fit the HPN tank;
    • The front top mount needs to be reworked, as there are some differences between the G/S & GS in where the horn mounts live.
    So have finished for the day & am thinking about how we move forward.
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The new rig is mobile.

Three on the rig certainly attracts attention (one in the chair, 2 on the bike). Coffee & a toasted scone at the 'Beach House & Kiosk', then a walk on Oriental Parade.

[​IMG]
    Gee, I wonder what's for dinner...

[​IMG]

The rig has been on a Jenny Craig diet. The roll cage & harnesses had to go. Way too much weight. And the cage mounts stopped me from being able to get the alignment correct.

Rewired the taillight & sidelights.

[​IMG]

The screen was on to keep Mrs Box'a'bits happy, & will disappear for commute duties (extra drag if the tub isn't occupied).

Much more room in the tub. The boot fits 3 helmets & gear relatively easily.

The ride has less roll (the sidecar frame has a torsion spring, so limited movement), the tub sits on leaf springs & has a sprung seat, so comfortable for the occupant in the tub. But the whole chair / tug requires more muscling than the Velorex (that weight thing again). Part of that I can 'adjust out' in future 'alignments'.

Still to do some more work on bracing the bottom back mount.

Need to get a tonneau cover made up.

The wheel will be replaced shortly with the other 18" cross spoke wheel. Just need to get new bearings fitted, & some spacers made up. Easy fit on the existing 20mm axle.

Maintenance - 5th Aug 19 - 56,299 kms:
    Changed the gearbox oil again. Still water contaminated. Not sure if this is new or condensate, or??? I've swapped out the breather bolt for a solid one, & re-established gauze on the speedo cable sheath I use as a high breather.

Re-lubed the clutch lever while hunting for the reason I couldn't start the bike in gear. Looks to have been resolved - a loose plug.

Changed a bunch of rusty 8mm nuts & bolts round the tub mudguard to stainless, just to tidy that aspect up.

Basic alignment stats:
    Tug wheelbase (axle to axle): 1530 mm
    Tub wheel lead: 285mm, or 18.627% of wheelbase (subject to remeasure)
    Toe in: 2.5cm (back if the rear wheel, front of the front wheel).
    Lean out: 1125mm LHS, 1115mm RHS (loaded bike, no passenger - circa 0.26 degrees).
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how much of the frame brackets for the Velorex have you reused, or have you had to remove all the bracing you made up?

It looks good with out the Roll cage on it:-)
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    None. All of the mounts for the Chang Jiang are from the PO's G/S (with a couple of minor modifications). The Velorex bottom mounts are completely different - the Chang Jiang uses ball & cup mounts, & the sidecar frame is circa 700mms long compared to the Velorex circa 610mms. It would require a complete rework of the subframe Ken made up for me to be able to use that for the new application. It may be easier to start again :(

Interested in the Velorex subframe & mounts? Though the subframe would work much better with your GSPD. :D

I've been dithering re listing the Velorex, & whether I include universal mounts, or just the arms & leave it to the purchaser to find their own solutions.
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.... Would be the short answer:y0!.

The R60 is fun with out the car on the side of it. The potential new owner would not necessarily be attaching it to a BMW, so universal mounts would suffice I'm sure.
  13. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:

I did one of these onto a mono RT recently and made a similar subframe to the one I made you. I wouldn't discard your subframe yet. A couple of mods to your chair chassis should allow you to reuse the subframe if you want to.
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    And just like, the Velorex is sold. Listed at 8.00pm sold by 4.30pm the next day. Loads of interest. The new owner is going to link it onto a Transalp. Has had chairs before, & looking forward to sharing the experience with his son. :D.

[​IMG]

Going sometime this week.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    COLD KIWI 2019

The last Kiwi I went to (2017) was a mud fest, & while the organisers promised for the next year that they’d install a gravel road leading into the site, I’d decided that I’d give it a skip for a while ‘til they’d got it sorted. I’d done just under 30 Kiwis since 1981, so really didn’t feel an urge to go back, unless things improved.

When the site changed, I thought I’d give it a year to settle down.

So when MD suggested we hit it again this year, I was ready for it.

Packed carefully over the week prior. Careful checklists, meal plans, the whole nine yards. So after I arrived at Raumati, & got a text from Mrs Box.a.bits noting I’d left the weekends food in the chilly bin on the bench, I was a bit...vexed. Some rude words may have been percolating.

Only a ½ hr trip back, & then another ½ hr over that stretch of road. Three times on that road – a really pleasant sunny day.

But some uncertainty I’d catch up with the crew at Hyde Park. Fortunately they were still there, AND there was time for a quick coffee. Quite civilised really. MD, Bill (on a new to him DR650 solo), & George (on a very clean R100 mono rig, with a sister Chang Jiang tub).

MD set the route for the day. The first section was a trip thru memory lane on roads I never travel now. Under Whirokino Bridge, between the stopbanks, through some backroads behind the Foxton / Himitangi stretch of SH1 (that I remember hooning on in mum’s Mk1 Cortina), through Bainesse, nr Glen Oroua (where we used to go Duckshooting), past the Rongotea cemetery intersection (my grand dad had a heart attack & died opposite the cemetery), across to Mt Stewart (umm... close to running out of gas, guys – you know those extra kms?). Halcombe (Bro lived just up the road), & a wee break under the bridge to stop Steve getting ‘Hangry’. First gas at Marton. 252 kms without switching to reserve – a new sidecar record for Gus...

Galphins Rd thru to Taurimu Rd. Lost George here. He launched a pannier in the corrugations, but failed in his attempt to clean bowl Bill. Fended away (at the last minute) from the front wheel. George decided after that incident to continue on his own along the sealed main roads.

Linked across to Turakina Valley Rd, & then across to Whangaehu Valley Rd.

Just before the rain settled in we startled what we think were a flock of white cockatoos. These eventually roosted across the river valley from us, quite distinctive sitting in the treetops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linked Whangaehu Valley Rd across to Turakina Valley Rd, via Owhakura Rd. Then the final sprint up the last portion of Turakina Valley Rd, & right to the site.

Gaining access to the site was not quite so straight forward. I’d prepaid, & expected my phone would provide the entry email. Fail. No Spark coverage at the gate. Bugger...

The new site is much better, on well drained rolling sheep farm country, in a large paddock. The ground was a bit saturated in pockets from the rain, but generally no issues.

Set up camp, MD erected the all important Pirate Flag, & I burned dinner. The chilli hadn’t thawed yet, & the stove was a little hard to get to a temperature commensurate to a gentle reheat. Perfect.

[​IMG]
    Stolen from farcebook from Barbara Lyndsell.

[​IMG]
    Ok, out of order, but a good photo of the three sidecars & our portion of the site

The band for the night was ‘The Blistered Fingers’ from the ‘Naki. We sat outside in the misty drizzle, on borrowed plastic seats, & enjoyed the view, & sound from back stage. People pay a lot for back stage passes don’t you know....They were bloody good.

Crashed early, but was cold. My internal thermostat is still resetting from the gallbladder op. I generally pile all my gear on top of the sleeping bag, but didn’t because much of it was damp. I thought my damp socks would dry out in the sleeping bag, but they just made my feet colder. And I was kept awake by the hoons revving the snot out of their bikes until 3.30am. Seemed that was important... to someone.
    dazzadm, Night Falcon and Manakau.KTM like this.
  16. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And then...
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    44th COLD KIWI – 2019. Part Two

Saturday was fine. Sausages & eggs for breakfast. I was supposed to go off site for a ride somewhere, but was somewhat lacking in energy. Not sure why.

[​IMG]
    MD returning from battle - for fire wood for the brazier...

Spent a bit of time talking with anyone interested in the relative merits of BMW repowered sidecars from Russia, Ukraine, & China. But that became pretty repetitive after a while, so I wandered away.

Drone footage of the new site.

Caught up with Bart, & heard that the black DR650 shit the bed just outside Taihape. Looks like 3rd gear issues.

Rubber necked the bikes. A few photos of the ones I enjoyed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note I slipped a photo of the Honda sidecar into this picture. :rofl

[​IMG]
    Pensive George...

[​IMG]
    Dare I tell this guy he's got his front guard on backwards?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Briefly watched the hill climb, but lost interest. Gave some of the other events a swerve. Did watch the burnouts for a bit. The hills formed a natural ampitheatre, so being able to see wasn’t an issue. Missed the supercharged Triumph, which I’ve subsequently seen in video from the day. Bit of a sleeper there...

[​IMG]
    Stolen from farce book for your entertainment..

[​IMG]
    Gavin's R80. I need Hippo Hands too...

[​IMG]
    Kane & Jo's R100. I may have an issue with Photographing BMWs. So sue me...

Dinner was a beautiful piece of Angus Ribeye steak (with actual veggies - well, onion & coleslaw) in a burger. I may be a Masterchef. Perfect

Saturday night's band were not so great, so settled into a convivial night round the brazier with this crew. There may have been rum involved.

[​IMG]
  18. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    in depth reporting as usual :deal They'll need to plant some trees to negate the carbon emissions from the burnouts in future :gerg
  19. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always a good read
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes, the site would be improved with trees, but the site gets some shelter from the lay of the land.
    Cheers guys. More to come, as I get time.
    Zebedee likes this.