Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    I'll just leave these here....
    Spotted at Eagle claw campground in Tok. I didn't get any pics of the full rig but I can tell you it was pretty cool, towing a trailer too. 20190813035732_IMG_0989.JPG 20190813035545_IMG_0988.JPG
    dazzadm and Dave Young like this.
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    The nation that seems to have cornered the market on sidecar innovation, design flair, & the sheer number of really nice sidecars running around seems to be the Dutch. I know that if I win powerball, I'll be booking flights there, in order to get something special made.

I didn't photograph this one (but should have), so have stolen a photo from farcebook. I just happen to be in it. The owner was South African, & had this built in Holland in 2008... the sidecar is an EZS. Additional steering & wheel mods on the tug.

[​IMG]
    Honda-50 likes this.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    44th Cold Kiwi – Part Three

Clear night meant a cold crisp morning. Not so much a frost, as sheets of ice on the tents. Slept better Saturday night. The rum helped, but also someone dealt to the idiot bike thrashers, & I was better prepared & warmer in my tent.

[​IMG]

Brilliant sunrise, & the mountain was pearly white just over the hill.

Sausages, eggs & chips for breakfast. Very nice, if not that healthy.

[​IMG]

Easy pack up (just pretty much throw stuff in the chair, sort it out at home).

Ken, MD, & I were joined by Jan, on his K100LT. Into Waiouru for gas, then rip down Turakina Valley Rd (gravel).

[​IMG]

To Kaka Rd (gravel), Koeke Rd (sealed but winding), across to Tiriraukawa Rd (sealed), which runs into Watershed Rd (most excellent Gravel). Jan may have had a brown trousers moment when chunky gravel appeared as a fix to some of the damage logging trucks had made on that road – or he could have just been pulling over for me. Yeah, right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right onto Kiekie Rd, as a backroad to Hunterville. Decided to stop at the Alex Simpson Scenic Reserve for a brew up & quick lunch. Quite a pleasant place, but had more of the cockatoos screeching over head there.

[​IMG]

The others split from me there, to head home - MD & Ken heading down SH1, & Jan down Vineger Hill Rd. I'd not had enough, however, & decided to head round Sandon Block Rd (more logging truck damage in there).

[​IMG]

Then across to Peep’o’day Rd, & through Kimbolton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visited mum & dad for a bit at PNth, then hit the main road at 4.00pm aiming to be home at 5.30 -6.00 – before the light went. Unfortunately hadn’t counted on congestion before Otaki, & after Raumati – which resulted in a slow 3 hr trip. Bugger, might have mucked up on timing a bit...
    dazzadm, Manakau.KTM and Night Falcon like this.
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Palmy - Welly trip time is so traffic dependant. When my daughters come home for a weekend they can be at home in the central city in an hour and a half if they leave after 7:30pm on a sunday night. It's two and half hours minimum getting to our place if they leave Welly before 6pm on a friday.
  5. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report. I was looking at the day on Sunday from work, thinking, would be great to be riding...

Rangiwaea Junction used to be home to the Bemaha bunch. We had a house just back up the Waiaruhe road. Brings back memories that photo. :jkam
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Upgrades:
    Interesting. Jacked up the 19" sidecar wheel to just clear the garage floor. The wheel rotated slightly, & stopped when the wheel /tyre hit the high spot. Probably not the greatest wheel / tyre combo around (or oval anyways - lol). And the chrome is shot.

Replaced with another R1200C 18" wheel.
    • Basically a straight replacement, as the axle is a 20mm jobbie, which matches the stock wheel bearings.
    • I've used a gearbox bearing inner race as a short term spacer, but have some proper spacers to come to fit that role.
    • The tyre is another DR200 take off - a Bridgestone ($30).
    Doesn't look like it would take too much to fit a disc brake. A project for the future.

[​IMG]
    As swapped...

[​IMG]
    Fitted...

[​IMG]
    On Gus...

The wheel finish is a little variable. Chrome over alloy doesn't work well. It started to peel, & was subject to a product recall. The PO spray bombed them black to stop the corrosion. I've stripped that, & will monitor the situation going forward. Gus's front wheel was another from a R1200C, but the chrome on that was far easier to remove, & that's now polished up nicely.

Note the Tonneau cover. I whipped this up on my sewing machine prior to the Cold Kiwi. Made in a fairly light weight vinyl, which I expect the UV light will cause to deteriorate in the next year or so. But it will do for now, a quick win. Still to put some holes in it (with flaps) to accomodate the windscreen.

Still thinking on whether I should shift the HPN tank across to the sidecar. Bought another seat to accomodate that.

Maintenance - 11th Sept '19 - 57,394 kms:
    Polished the front & rear wheels. The front has come up real well. The rear - well, not so much. Reflects it's owners lack of care over the last few years, I guess.

Disassembled the front mastercylinder, & cleaned & reassembled this. All to resolve a dragging front brake issue, which was aggravating a small pulse from the brake disc. Also flushed the brakes lines with new brake fluid..

Scraped some shit out of the RHS fork seals from the Cold Kiwi ride. This was causing a seal weep. Resolved that, but caused a new weep from the LHS. I'm on top of that now too, but am putting on seal savers to prevent a recurrence.

Painted the rear top to bottom brace. High tensile bolt replacements at the bottom.

Changed the rear brake shoes.

Next rides:
    The Distinguished Gentlemans Ride - 29th Sept. I've done a few of these now. But if you feel like contributing to a worthy cause (prostate cancer & mens health), here's the link to my fund raising page.

GS Rallye - 9th Nov. Will be riding to this with four or more sidecars, & some accompanying solos, via a fairly circuitous route. Should be about 2.2k kms all up. Hoping that there will be no mechanical adventures this time round...
    dazzadm likes this.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Hinekura & Admirals Roads 22nd Sep '19:
    Rowan had advertised another Motomart ride to Stronvar that I was keen to ride. But I made the mistake of inviting Mrs Box.a.bits along. Anyone that know us, knows Mrs Box.a.bits is not at her greatest in the mornings, & has issues with time management at the best of times. So really no surprises when we were late at the meeting place. And there was no one there...

Over the Remutakas at pace, but by Featherston Mrs Box.a.bits needed a comfort stop (it was the cold, don’t you know). So, bugger....

Still headed to the 2nd meet point, but the guys had gone.

So having accepted we were on our own, what to do? Well, Mushrooms...

Let me just say here - having a large boot on the sidecar is a super fine thing.

Having taken on board a 2.25kg box of the finest edible fungus (from Parkvale - buttons & flats), Mrs Box.a.bits was amenable to whatever I decided the day would bring. So, coffee was next on the agenda. Martinborough seemed the likely best spot, to sit in the sun & watch the world come & go. This time no adventure bikes- all squids at the Village Cafe (not that there is anything wrong with that)... 2x heated herb & cheese scones (yummy), a pot of tea for Mrs Box.a.bits, & a bowl latte for me.

[​IMG]

Some time later, we decided to go back to Carterton for lunch (because Mrs Box.a.bits really enjoyed Wild Oats on the way back from the Mt Bruce wildlife reserve last summer). But best take in the sights of the Hinekura / Admirals Rd loop first. Which Mrs Box.a.bits didn’t really recall from the last time we did this (in the car). But enjoyed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild Oats only has the best customers (there was also a McLaren parked outside), but blotted it’s copy book with me with an extra salty Beef, Beer, Onion & Mushroom pie. But the additional coffee was nice. Mrs Box.a.bits had a vegetable muffin, & fries. Pretty sure she liked those.

The drag home is always a bit like that. Speedy over the Remutakas, in part because I had a WRX monstering me, who refused to pass until near the summit.

Not the best fuel economy – just over 9.9kms/l. Filled at the new Waitomo round the corner from us, just before heading out. I understand they get their fuel from Mobil. It’s certainly cheaper. Got some pinking, but maybe that was load. Maybe I need to put the screen back on, & just ride slower.
  8. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great day. Have yet to do Admirals Road. Nice pictures. I think your wife knew exactly what she was doing.
    dazzadm likes this.
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Mrs Box.a.bits was in control of your day out...:D
    How are you finding the new tub? Doing the job?
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Mrs Box.a.bits read your comments, & laughed, but didn't deny anything, which I think says quite a bit, don't you?
    • Heavier, so tends to steer the tug more.
    • Headshake - with the Velorex I could take my hands off the handlebars & it would track true. With the new tub you don't want to do that at low speed. It'll shake it's head like a wet dog.
    • Homicidal tendencies - The new Tub is more predictable, with less tendency to want to fly at inopportune times - that weight thing again. I could have chosen to ballast the Velorex to reduce that, but actively decided not to. The light weight was useful at times. And it is quite a lot of fun to fly the chair. It had some unexpected benefits. Like making tailgating drivers drop way back :jack...
    • Less suspension on the tub means less body roll. But because the tub is suspended in the frame, it's still comfy for Mrs Box.a.bits.
    • The tub is easier for Mrs Box.a.bits to get in & out of. But on the move she feels like she is being thrown around more (more of an open tub, & less of a formed seat). It's not as warm as the Velorex, which was far more enclosed. The unexpected benefit of this is she pays more attention to what is going on, & is a more active monkey.
    • The boot is huge. Having a boot lid (rather than having to drop the seat forward) is excellent. But it's less secure. The Velorex could be locked. The M72 not so much.
    • The bottom ball & cup mounts means that I'm not able to set the wheel lead to where I'd like it. The Velorex was fairly developed. This one is just at the start of it's development cycle - which I hope means it'll just get better.
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    It looks better than the old tub did. I recommend you paint some orange racing stripes on it...it'll go faster, ride smoother, and be more reliable.
    P9220011-001.JPG
    dazzadm likes this.
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The access into and more importantly getting out of the Velorex is the thing I think we may have to think about once I get it operational. I did notice the open sidedness of the M72, a bit of Vinyl covering could help with keeping warmer?
    Do you have a steering damper mounted to help control the shakes on the bars? The PO of mine stipulated I had to have one!
  13. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Hope Steve is ok? Was expecting a solid bit of banter from him on my chair upgrade above but the lads gone south on us :scratch
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Unlike the Velorex, she can use the tonneau cover as a covering, as the front fixings are better. I'm going to get her a blanket as well (albeit we won't really need that as the weather improves). The screen is off, but may be back once I have modified it a bit (it's too tall / too much of a sail at present).

The Velorex access / egress only became an issue after Mrs Box.a.bits' arm/shoulder injury last year.
    You seem very concerned by what the PO said, don't you. :lol3 Personally I don't think the Velorex would warrant one. It's light, & you aren't changing the steering geometry.

I do have a steering damper which came with the rig. I have not fitted it. Not a big fan. I think they disguise the handling issues, rather than fix them. If I has 50mm of trail, yes I'd go with it. Gus has circa 95mm. 95-120mm should be stable. I need to make other changes to resolve the shakes. It only happens at circa 30 kms/hr, & only if I take my hands off the bars.

On the R80 I just had the steering head bearings a little tighter than would otherwise be the norm, & that was sufficient.

On Gus (with the current triples) that fix was a little harder to do. But it didn't shake at all with the more solid WP front end, the subframe, & the Velorex. I suspect when I eventually get a more solid subframe, with the geometry more in line with what I would prefer, there will be less of an issue.
    Back in the day, I lived the life of the semi retired. Then my wife sent me back out in the workforce in order to fund the lifestyle to which she would like to aspire.

Orange stripes? Yeah, nah. Possible yellow stripes to match the current bumblebee theme. Need to improve visibility.

There are a bunch of changes planned which would alter the look in any event. It's more a question of timing.
    dazzadm and Night Falcon like this.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    So in the spirit of NOT doing any major work to the sidecar a couple of weeks before a major trip away, I decided to do an engine swap to retrieve Gus's motor from the Super Tanker.

[​IMG]

It may have taken me all weekend to do this (actually until 11.00pm Sunday night, with some urgency added because I needed to ride Gus into work Monday morning).

[​IMG]

The advantage of that motor is it's a little more 'developed' than the former sidecar engine - twin plugged, twin coil, & upgraded electronic ignition, fresh top end including shaved head, RS higher compression pistons, & bigger alternator. Brought the 32mm carbs across too (& associated cabling & throttle cam), but may need to check the jetting given Gus's exhaust is a lot more free flowing than the Supertanker's. The starter is a newer valeo to cope with the raised compression - the former one was a bitsa made from three dead starters.

The former motor was way softer (from lower compression pistons & the accumulated wear of 250 k kms) compared to Gus's fresher & more muscular (but still high mileage) motor. Gus now has more mumbo everywhere, especially noticeable coming up the Ngauranga Gorge. But at the cost of a minor increase in harshness & vibration (comparatively anyways).

More to come.
    dazzadm, Night Falcon and innathyzit like this.
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    No longer worried about the 'no gas for 400 plus kms' 1st leg of the 'Slidecars take on the GS Rally' excursion. I think I may have that covered...

[​IMG]

But that did mean an oil cooler delete (we'll see how that goes), & also cutting up a new to me seat.

I'll replace the crash bars with the 'HardHead' rocker covers once I've painted these. That's more to protect the bottom plugs & HT leads from damage, than an expectation I'll crash.

Maintenance - 258,650 kms:

• New Tyres - Heidenau K60 Scout 110x80 18" front, & a Motoz GPS 130/80 17" on the rear. The Motoz is rounder than anticipated, & the central rubber strip may present some traction issues - we'll have to see how that goes. But reputed to be a longer lasting tyre & given that slidecars tend to chew rears (in particular) up at a ferocious rate... 8-9 mm front tread depth, rear10 mm tread depth.
    • Swapped in pivot pegs. Just slightly opens out the leg egos.
    • Tried to resolve the front brake pulse. Took a fraction more material from the disc mounts. Much better, but not yet fully resolved.
    dazzadm likes this.
  17. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    re the oil cooler, do you run any temp gauges?

tto trail tech do a range of coolant/oil/cyl head jobbies with a tiny digital readout you stick on somewhere out of the way. from memory some of them also have a max reading function and deg c or f button too.

i have also seen oil filler caps with little temp gauges in them. like the ones you stick in the oven roast, but smaller.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I don't usually run an oil temp gauge, but do have one in my spares. It's a (Luftmeister) turkey roaster gauge that replaces the dipstick. I'll be running that short term to see what temps Gus is running.

Other stock R100's (with the exception of the GS's & some RTs & RSs) run no oil coolers - but have slightly bigger oil pans. Gus is far from stock.

I did notice that oil consumption dropped on the (just changed out) lower compression GS motor, once I installed an oil cooler on that.

Longer term intent is to run custom (longer) hoses, to allow fitment of the oil cooler on the front chair strut. But I will need to do some more work on Gus to get that fitted.
  19. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that centre strip on the Motoz can be a pain in deep gravel. Much nicer than a K60 though.
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Why is it that after weeks of careful prep, a few days before a big ride you discover shit that you really don't have time to fix. But have to. Like a blown head gasket.

The car has also blown it's head gasket.

If these things come in three, I'd suggest that Mandy's scooter bears careful watching....
    dazzadm, wairau and Night Falcon like this.