Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's sent to test us...

Then you can really enjoy the time off on the trip. At least it didn't blow on the trip...:thumb
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm sounds like you're using Mrs Box'a'bits as an excuse to eat...?

We went down to Greytown a couple of weeks ago and went past Parkvale, but alas, they were closed:(
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    why cant I see the photo's then?
    Whale Rider likes this.
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was just my phone but can't see them on my laptop either?
  5. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Pics were fine last night.....not so good now tho.
  6. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope....in typical Google photo style, there one minute gone the next :scratch
  7. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still gone on windows10 but ok on my Huawei Shanghai Spy phone. Wtf?
  8. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    You can probably see Boxa's incognito pages.
  9. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    This is crap service

we expect better

if this carries on much longer I'll have to read the words
    Box'a'bits and wairau like this.
  10. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    thats cos your computer still accesses the original files on google, it might not if you cleared ya cookies....in any event its a known google problem, they don't like sharing their files with other sites. If you continue to use google the problem will persist, albeit intermittently at times. Google are the debal :mad?
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
  12. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of Carterton Scottish Country Dancing And Other Activities 2nd-3rd Nov '19
    Mrs Box’a’bits hatched a plan to attend the Carterton Scottish Country Dance. Initially this involved me driving her across & back the same night. But the bloody Subaru blew a head gasket, so that killed that one. The next plan was for me to take her over in the sidecar. But the idea of coming over the Remutakas at night didn’t appeal, so maybe we could camp? Or maybe upgrade?

Well, I needed a shakedown trip on Gus (pre the GS rally), so maybe... Booked the Savoy.

Took Friday off to do a little finishing work to Gus. That included tappet checks, some tidy up work. Also modifiying the sidecar screen, & then the tonneau cover to match that, in order to keep Mrs Box’a’bits happy this weekend. Towards the end of the day I needed get some new seals for the chair wheel. So rode Gus out to Mana Bearings. But he just didn’t feel right, & was pinking badly on one side. Got home to discover a new oil leak on the left side, hiding under the lower chair front mount. Bugger. Blown a head gasket on Gus too.

Watched the All Blacks demolish the Welsh Friday night (on TV1 – too cheap to buy into Spark Sport), so late to bed. Then thinking about the head gasket issue, & I couldn’t sleep.

I was up early Saturday morning to allow a quick scramble to replace the head gasket. Then off to Carterton. Mrs Box’a’bits advised me she was very pleased to have the screen back on.

Once we made it to Carterton, we were advised we’d been switched from the Savoy to the Waldorf. Happy with that. But strangely, once I got there, all I wanted to do was grab an afternoon nap. No stamina...

[​IMG]

Walked Mrs Box’a’bits to & from the Carterton Events Centre that night – Gus is a bit noisey to run out of a campground after 11.00...No, I don’t do Scottish Country Dancing. Surely you jest....

Sunday morning breakfast at Wild Oats. Eggs Benedict with Salmon, & a pot of tea for Mrs Box’a’bits, the Big Breakfast and a huge (pint handle) latte for me.

[​IMG]

Suitablely coffeed up, we headed out, aiming to ride to Parkvale to buy mushrooms. But not wholely awake yet – so didn’t put my camelbak on when we left Wild Oats. It was only because we had to stop at the roundabout that I heard someone shout that I’d lost it off the back.

With the day wearing on, grabbed 2.25 kgs of mushrooms, then headed for the Admirals/Hinakura Rd loop. The temperatures were heading up. 23-27 degrees as we progressed.

Stopped part way in to take in the view, & drop a little weight once we got over the ridgeline.

[​IMG]

The new tyres are not the grippiest in gravel. Already starting to get a little dry & dusty on the roads out there.

Chased more then a few lambs as we entered the Station area.

Mrs Box’a’bits seemed reluctant to move out of the sidecar to open gates. It may have been that she’d wedged so much stuff into the tub that she physically couldn’t move... Got asked how much more gravel could she expect at about the ½ way point. But by Martinborough she’d decided it was a great ride, so...women...who can understand them.

Just after the beginning of Moeraki Rd, Mrs Box’a’bits asked me to pull over, as she wanted to grab something. I pulled into shade on the side of the road, but maybe caused a bit of consternation/excitement pulling back onto the road – it was a little steep climbing back up to the road.

Dropped by Village Cafe for a Berry Smoothie, an Iced Coffee, & a chocolate brownie. I find that Mrs Box’a’bits is happier if you feed & water her regularly.

Just before Featherston I took a detour onto Longwood Rd. Managed to sheet the contents of the ford over Mrs Box’a’bits, & to then stall Gus just on the exit. The ford was perhaps both deeper, & the exit softer than I’d expected. And then Gus dug himself a nice trench & hole on the other side, when we tried to get out. Oh well, at least I now know the rear is going to work okay. Mrs Box’a’bits was less than amused at having to help pull Gus backwards out of the hole, then help push him up out of the ford. Maybe this wasn’t my best idea of the weekend. Last time I’d been thru it’d been Autumn & the ford was both shallower & the entry & egress less challenging.

Pretty standard run over the Remutakas. Not flat out, but not slow. Home mid afternoon. Cat seems put out, & has avoided us to date.

Happy with how Gus is running now. But need to give him another wash. Still has 1/2 the ford clinging to his wheels & swingarm.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good on my phone except for that one of you dancing Strip The Willow in your kilt.
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    For which (no doubt) everyone can be profoundly grateful....
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Almost a year after Gus ate his last starter motor, he's gobbled another. This time it became evident it had shit the bed when I went to come home from work. I now have a large bucket of starter motor bits, most of which are modified in some way by Sir Gustave.

Peek-a-boo
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure that rusty plate is supposed to be firmly affixed to this bit...and there shouldn't be peek-a-boo holes in it.

[​IMG]

And these magnets are supposed to be epoxied to & equi-distant around the housing

[​IMG]

Luckily I have one final spare...
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they all Valeos?
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    1x Enduralast (off the R80 Tug), the rest are mostly Valeos of some description (part of one may have come off a car).
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Health & safety nightmare...

[​IMG]

Yup. It's definitely broken (now)...
    innathyzit, dazzadm and Manakau.KTM like this.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are there any tools you didn't use?:beer
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Well... the little grey cylinder by the buzz box is a fire extinguisher. I didn't use that (this time) :D