Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bottom Plugs:
    Owner complained the vehicle pinks in the heat, & as the ignition goes to full advance (circa 3500-4000 rpm). Dual plugged, & the advance curve is both faster & shorter than stock.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Left hand side bottom

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Right hand side bottom

Both plugs cleaned & reinstalled. Hmmm, may be time to instal the new/old barrels I have waiting in the wings.

Sidecar Suspension:
    Pulled apart the sidecar suspension to repair this following it collapsing on the Caravan of Foods Tour. This has a leading swing arm, with torsion bar spring. The spring is basically a round bar with splines at each end. This runs across the rear frame of the sidecar. The male splines both looked good, the female spline at the swing arm was good, which left the female spline in the frame. It turns out that this was spinning in the frame (albeit with some friction), so the spring wasn't able to work.

[​IMG]

I've resolved this by drilling through the frame & into the outside material of the female spline (but before hitting the spline material) to create a key. I've welded a nut over the hole, to strengthen that, & to provide a threaded point for a bolt anchor. I've also shaped a 12.9 grade 8mm bolt to duplicate the shape of the drill bit, & threaded that into the hole.

I did consider plug welding the spline - but didn't as at some stage I may want to remove it. I have also considered mirroring this on the other side of the frame. Still considering if this is necessary.

Tested, & it seems good to go. Had a successful test ride to Otaki Forks last night with precious cargo. No complaints.

Sidecar Mudguard Stay:
    The middle stay broke during the trip. I've welded that back together & reinstalled. But that whole mudguard assembly is twisted (probably from the factory), so I'll need to give consideration to how I deal with this longer term. The stay attaches to the sidecar leaf spring retainer (between the tub & the sidecar frame).

Paralever:
    I could feel something moving from time to time during the trip. Turns out the fixed Paralever pivot (on the inner side of the swing arm) had backed out slightly, which allowed some movement. This is usually both red loctited & torqued in place, so it's a bit concerning, & may be a weak point of the paralever for this application. The bearings are (maybe unsurprisingly) also fairly worn (though I do have spares). For the meantime I have reloctited the pivot in place & reassembled, which has taken out the play.

I may change to the Emerald Island bushes longer term.

Nuts & bolts:
    Amazing how much the corrugations (during the trip) allowed the nuts & bolts over the sidecar to loosen. I'll be replacing a number with nyloc nots. However even some nyloc nuts loosened if there was enough play in the assemblies they held. A good example of this is the two holding the rear mudguard stay (you'll recall the mid stay broke & I held that together with duct tape).

Also noted the top rear sidecar stay mount (on the sidecar) had loosened (despite a nyloc nut) as had the top front side mount (on the tug, also using a nyloc nut).

Exhaust:
    Switched back to the quieter SV exhaust. The Leo Vince can likely needs repacking, but the final nail was the level of pops & bangs I was getting (& was unable to tune out).
    dazzadm likes this.
  2. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both plugs cleaned & reinstalled
    May I ask how you cleaned the plugs? There is only one place they would be destined in my mind.

I have also considered mirroring this on the other side of the frame

The second one should be at 90 Degress to the first.

I may change to the Emerald Island bushes longer term
    I have rubber chicken bushes in the back of the Ruffy. Although I thought that was a mistake after reading reported failures and checking them at 500km's to find they had play I regreased and readjusted them and they have been good ever since. I think it was a settling in process once everything had settled down and been readjusted I have forgotten about them.

WR
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yup, probably should have, but the issue is really oil consumption. This had gone up on this motor since I reworked the heads (new guides, valves, recut seats, skimmed heads - to remove a warp). A side impact of this is that it upped the compression ratio on what was already a high compression motor. Now circa 10:1 - high for an Airhead.

I noted some time ago that the barrels have some wear after 260k+ kms

All this is now compounded by the fact the motor needs to work harder in the sidecar application (was in the Supertanker). And it ran hotter this trip because I removed the oil cooler for the big tank to fit, & it was (possibly :hmmmmm) thrashed (just a bit :D).

The benefit of new plugs is probably moot. Scraped off the gross carbon build up & (brass) wire wheeled the balance.
    Thanks. Good to get opinions on this. I'm definitely no engineer, but I do want this to be safe. I haven't put in the second because I was concerned I might cause a crack in the female spline.
    I think the same applies to the EI bushings (both settling in, & issues with user installation/adjustment causing wear). Reporting I have read from people I'm inclined to trust indicates these are good.
  4. Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    So just my 2 cents worth but when I was an apprentice I was told never to use a wire brush on spark plugs.(sand blast only) The reason being is the the wire leaves a mark on the porcelain and the spark tracks down these marks to earth. I appreciated the burning oil issue but this can be overcome by a slightly warmer spark plug.
    [​IMG]

For the spline bolts grub screws would be the best option.

WR
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Already have the next grade hotter plugs for the bottom plugs in my spares, but was warned away from them before install, as I was told they were too hot for this motor. What could possibly go wrong...:lobby

Postscript 10/12/19 266,338 kms :
    • Now installed B5HS bottom plugs
    • Oil & filter change
    • Air filter change
    Switched jetting. 32 mm Bings. 2nd clip down from top, 170 needle jet, 2/3rd turns out on idle, 150 mj.
  6. Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    What plugs are you running?
    What could possibly go wrong...
    Nothing looking at those plugs. They aren't doing much.

Even Mr BMW runs different heat range plugs in the 1150 twin spark
    The auxiliary is hotter than the main plug.

I am sure you would have seen this before.

7. The lower plug tends to carbon-up some; ...especially noticeable if the engine is older & burning some oil ....compared to the top plug. This is easily seen from looking at the two spark plugs. A one step hotter heat range plug may be required, advisable, or useful, at the lower plug position. Inspection & comparing of the plugs after a few minutes at heavy throttle & high rpm, will probably tell the best story. You should compare to the other cylinder's plugs too, before making a decision.

From here: https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/dualplugging.htm
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  7. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I ran bp5ey (y=v grooved) plugs in my airhead. Was single plug but ran bloody good.
    Mark_S and Box'a'bits like this.
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Arrived home Thursday night. Just after I bumped over the curbing (to turn the sidecar to back it into the garage), I encountered jamming in the rear hub. It wasn't consistent, & I could roll the bike somewhat before it would jam, moving either forward or backward. Glad that didn't happen at higher speed. Eventually got the sidecar parked, took the scooter to work Friday, & finally got to look at it this morning.

Turns out that I'd broken a spoke, & that hub end had moved back & was jamming against other spoke ends. Note the smashed seat to the bottom left of the hub.

Punched the spoke out & replaced it. Unfortunately the replacement spokes (I have in my parts stash) don't have the grub screw, so I'll get some more in later.

[​IMG]

Still going thru the joy that is redundancy / redeployment (found out about that in the Carvan of Foods tour). So far missed out on one role, have another in the pipeline (but don't expect to get it), & now my employer has come up with another option that should have been on the table to start with. I'm over this whole thing...
  9. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me it looks like here's a bit of the hub missing from that spoke location. Does that require any attention? Could the lack of support have contributed to the spoke breaking in the first instance ... dunno ...

Sorry to hear about the job situation, I'll keep my fingers crossed that Sana brings a nice little present for you ... :beer

John
  10. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't realise you were between careers Steve. I hope something turns up before you have to buy a lawn mowing business.

Your last post reminds me of a 600k ride I did when I had the Le Mans and as I bumped over the railway lines at Manakau, the universal joint packed up ( bit of an archilles heel on those bikes). I managed to limp home and after that it was trailer trash.
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I've ground out the seat a little to remove the stress risers, & cleaned it up. Plenty more material on the hub, so I don't believe that'll be an issue.
    Ummm, do you know of a good one? :rofl

And yes, I thought it may have been a universal that'd gone, so was relieved that it was just a spoke. The driveshaft is new 5k kms ago, so should be fine, but...
    Zebedee likes this.
  12. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Remember that spoke thing happened to me on the cape to cape. Had to sort of lift the bike out of the servo to let a couple of mobsters in. It's a bit of a design fault really.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yup, I recall that.

The spoke broke just at the threaded end. It had been bent slightly when I'd done a stream crossing, & a rock got between the wheel & paralever pivot. There is another that I also need to replace. Given this, that'll be sooner rather than later.

@Zebedee , the spoke goes up & to the left of the hub, so the broken piece is not a crucial bit of the casting. The spoke is still in place in the photo.
    Zebedee and innathyzit like this.
  14. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    :(theres always something to do on these bikes, must be what keeps us interested in them:-)
  15. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Lovely to work on.
    dazzadm likes this.
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy to work on....
    Muzz67 and innathyzit like this.
  17. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Apparently 'essential to work on'...
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm just more open about what I do to the big loveable (geriatric) beast that is Gus, @Muzzy67.

I probably do more than is strictly necessary. Mostly because I like doing it.

Maintenance 9th Jan 2020:
    • Checked the valve clearances a week or so ago. Last check beginning of Nov, but I've done the GS Rally since then, so a few thousand kms of hard running. The LHS input value had no clearance, both the exhausts were at .15mm. Reset to 0.20mm exhaust, & 0.15mm on inlet given movement. Engine is much happier.
    • Changed the gearbox oil tonight.
    • Current jetting seems good. 32mm carbs. 150mj, needle 2nd clip from the top, 266 needle jet.
    • Bottom spark plugs were changed some time ago to the hotter B5HS's. These are running well with no carbon build up.
    • Oil consumption has dropped - possibly because it isn't doing much out of town running (higher revs), & also the jetting changes mean the engine is running cooler / less stressed.
    Maintenance 12th Jan 2020:

Did a bit of work on the sidecar mudguard, which wasn't sitting straight, & was under tension as a result of that. Turns out that the 'step' was bent & the weld to the frame was cracking, so welded that to remedy.
    In the course of doing that discovered the sidecar torsion bar has slop in it again. :becca. Haven't done anything to rectify that yet.

250mls of engine oil to bring it back top to the 1/2 way mark.

Maintenance 19th Jan 2020 -
    263,608 Kms:
    • The RHS top plug appears to be leaner/hotter than the others. The others all appear to be v.slightly rich. Changed the plug for new.
    • Pulled the carb rubber off & checked for splits. Ok.
    • Checked the float heights. 22/24mm. In spec.
    • Changed the needle jet to 2.64. Currently 150mj, second clip from top, 2.64 needle jet. 45 idle jet.
    • Switched to the airbox lid to 2x large snorkels (had been 1x large, 1x small).
    • Reset the idle mixture.
    • Balanced the carbs.
    Put the temp gauge on Gus. We'll see what range we are going thru now. Doesn't work well with the big tank - you can't see the gauge easily, & you need to move the tank to use the dip stick.

Need to re-seal the RHS base/barrel. Has been blowing since the GS Rally.
    Muzz67 likes this.
  19. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Strictly speaking, I should probably do more than the necessary minimum before parking Honk in the shed for weeks on end.
    Still havent replaced the fook boots which were the only casualties from the previous 2 expeditions......
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Lunch & a paddle:
    Since the ‘Carvan Of Foods Tour’ I have been keeping life very quiet, as we worked through a job redundancy. Thankfully that appears to be resolved (waiting on a new contract), & I have finally some certainty in job (& therefore income) again.

To celebrate that, we decided to go for a ride. But Mrs Box.a.bits wasn’t keen on a long day out (Martinborough :rofl), so we decided to do a lunch out & beach run up the coast.

We may have chosen the wrong time to head out though. From just after Plimmerton it was a 15km/hr crawl, all the way to McKays Crossing. Bugger...

Lunch at Raumati Social Club. The place changed hands a while ago. I’m not sure if the lack of patronage (& smaller menu) was due to that, or the holiday period. I’d have thought it’d be busier now, but...There were other people - they just chose to sit outside.

[​IMG]

The Super Foods platter & Phoenix Ginger Beer for M’dam,

[​IMG]

The Big Breakfast & Latte for Sir.

[​IMG]

Then took a nice walk & paddle from Raumati Beach almost to Paekakariki & back. I may have gotten a little sunburnt on my ankles & neck....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed home at 3.30pm, not too much traffic, headed across the Paekakariki Hill Road at a very relaxed pace. Stopped in at Battle Hill & did the little ford a few times, just because.

[​IMG]

BBQ for dinner.