Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. guzzitony

guzzitony Guzton

Oddometer:
    Nice writeups boxa. Bit disappointed no pics of that awesome black and white guzzi that only got cleaned today. Have ou talked to john Saywell about sidecar setup, I'd wager he'd have some clever idea s on the subject. Goodto briefly catchup the other day, can say that abouta few others that would've been good to talk to longer
    Cheers t
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony, I photographed all the other Guzzis before you rode in. Didn't get back over to your camp during daylight to grab a snap. But it did look good with the full fairing.

How was the ride back?
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Rides:
    Was out with Mandy Sunday a week or so ago (seems an age since we had sunshine & no wind) out to Plimmerton for Fish & Chips (lunch). Our favourite Chippies are back from a 6 week holiday, we assume in Greece, & we've suffered withdrawal symptoms. Then off to Paekakariki for a coffee at the Perching Parrot. Back through the Paekakariki Hill Rd, with a diversion to Battle Hill Park. Some bystanders thought we were somewhat eccentric when we rode thru the stream ford a few times, instead of using the bridge.

Fails:
    While I was riding with Mandy, I took a slow roundabout a little too aggressively. The sidecar wheel made a horrific sound, which I found out was the wheel contacting the wheel arch. I have tried to space this out, but am limited by room on the axle spindle. So I’ll have to cool it a bit.

[​IMG]

Which brings us to the another bugbear. At the time I bought the sidecar I was told the axle & swingarm had been upgraded to the 20mm axle. This updates the swing arm, suspension & axle. The axle size increases from the puny stock 15mm jobbie. But no. We are on the 15mm axle, & the shock is the orginal 1988 Velorex jobbie. Oh and the sidecar brake plate is missing.

[​IMG]

The shock has no damping, which is probably because of all the rust pits (and paint overspray) on the shaft. I think the damping oil abandoned ship years ago. Bum. I’m now on the lookout for an 11.5inch (285mm) shock, likely off a Harley or Metric twinshock cruiser. Any donations gratefully received. It'll be better than what's there at present. And when I'm more affluent then I'll update the whole assembly.

[​IMG]

Tried to fit the R100R exhaust system. I’ve stripped the chrome covers off the rear exhaust, paring it back to HPN style stainless. Unfortunately the headers don’t work with the current sidecar subframe, so until I manufacture a Mark II version, we’ll need to stay with the R80 system.

Cleaning:
    One advantage of a sidecar on a Boxer is that you can tilt it over onto a jug to clean the undercarriage.

[​IMG]

Had another go at getting the Cold Kiwi mud off. Tried some Chemtech CT18 Superwash, as recommended by Leftie. Brilliant. The sidecar is a bugger for nooks & crannies that you just can’t get with the carwash brush. This dealt to it (in conjunction with the waterblaster). Spray on, wait ½ an hr, blast off.

Other Maintenance:
    Fitted some plugs to get rid of the last of the clean air systems out off the heads. These are oil sump drain plugs off an R1100.

[​IMG]

Also put in a new oil breather hose. The hose was missing when I picked up the bike (hence the oil leaks at the front of the engine). When I replaced the engine with the R100 motor, that engines breather was split, which caused the oil slick on the run up to the Cold Kiwi.

Increasing the rugged factor:
    Okay, so to keep Padmei happy I’ve done some stuff to bring the ADV quotia up.

The rear tyre is a street Metzler, almost bordering on illegal now (but only in the middle), because of wear. I’ll run that for the Distinguished Gentlemen Ride this Sunday 27th Sept, then change it shortly afterwards.

And BTW, have you sponsored me for that event yet? Here’s a link to allow you to contribute to Prostate Cancer Research. Thank you awfully for your consideration old chap (and ladies, of course).

A scout around in the bottom of the garage turned up some 18” semi knobbies from the KTM640, that were taken off for more aggressive (or just fresher) rubber. At last an excuse to wear those out.

Quietly waiting in the wings is a new Heidenau K60 Scout to be mounted on the current rear rim. That should improve traction in most places, without being too bad on the wear front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We now have a spare rear rim with an only slightly worn Mitas C02 tyre mounted, to increase the potential roost factor in muddy conditions. 14mm middle knobs. They are supposed to be quite hard wearing too, especially as the knobs wear down.

I was quietly sniggering about Padmei’s issues with tyre changing. I haven’t had any issues changing tyres for some years. Then with this tyre I got a snakebite, & had to go get a new tube. Karma. Sorry Padmei. I apologise most sincerely.

Finally, I’ve also sourced an additional sidecar tyre off a GN125 – a Sakura (or Kenda) 350 x 16. New, & all of $20. Apparently new GN125 owners are much more discerning than sidecar pilots, & replace these as soon as they purchase the bike. Actually, I think some of the GNs are being purchased to be used as farm bike (cheap).

You’ll notice the underside of the tug is now sporting a bashplate on both the sump & a shortened centrestand bashplate. The sump bashplate was the orginal off Gus. I had to cut the wings off that. Those would have sheltered the GS headers, however the R80 headers sit much wider, & the wings fouled on those. The guard is sitting on Nylon spacers. We’ll see how those cope with the temperature of the sump. If they start to melt, I’ll swap them out for spacers made from pipe offcuts. I also need to get some countersunk bolts to give smoother surface.

[​IMG]

I’m going to fit a cycle speedo (Catseye Velo 7) to supplement the original BMW speedo. I’ve done this because the speedo ratio (R80) is incorrect for the final drive now fitted (R65). I could just have used the GPS, but found I always forgot to fit it for short trips. And the cycle speedo is likely more theft proof.

Next up:
    • Need to replace the pushrod rubbers on the right side, & renew the head gasket. Those are leaking.
    • Need to check the left side rockers, because they are noisy.
    • The headers could do with a paint.
    • The sidecar carpet could do with being glued in place. I have some spray on Ados F2 for that job.
    • I want to chop the screen slightly for cosmetic reasons. But both Mandy & Katherine want to keep it as is, given the weather protection. Want to start a sweepstake to figure out who'll win?
    • Finally, also need to reset the orientation of the sidecar on the bike. At present the sidecar leans in to the bike. I'd like it a lot more level. Perhaps the rear clamp has slipped. I also need to check lean out & toe in. I've got a furniture dolly to help when the sidecar is off the bike / clamps.
  4. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    CT14 (the degreaser) is good too.
  5. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Sniggering were we? Hmmmm. Stickers are needed next, lots of stickers.

What is it like when the chair hits a pothole? Does the bike get a fair shake on? Also if you haven't bought the speedo already there is one on T7 that is realtively cheap that has a backlite. If you want I can try to remeber which one it is.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Thanks Padmei, but I've already bought one.

The local cycle shop owner has an R65LS, so had a bit of a chat with him today. He's also into vintage MX as well.

He sold his neighbour (the owner of the auto repair place behind his shop) another airhead. An ex Sean Kelly R80TIC, with performance upgrades. So it's surprising who has them (thought he'd be more into classic British stuff, given his business - classic cars)

Don't really notice the lack of damping in the chair, to be honest. Its always been soft. Some of that might be because that's all I'm used to (don't know better).
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a cycle speedo to supplement the trip meter on bemaha. Only thing is, the wire to the sensor is about 6 inches too short:dirtdog so will have to lengthen it. It has back light and air temp so will be able to see when it's frosty :muutt
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes the cycle speedo wire is a little short for convenient routing. But I've bodged it up for the meantime.

I'll likely change the brake lines, so will get it better set up once I've done that. Still struggling with the BMW routing of a brake line under the front mudguard. What were they thinking?

As far as the cycle speedo is concerned (Catseye Velo 7) I've tested it against the GPS, & the speedo reads exactly the same (in the dry), so am happy with it. The reading is steady too. But apparently it doesn't like rain. I was doing 189kph on the Motorway this afternoon...Not too worried about backlight. The speedo on the sidecar still reads consistently, just not at levels that it should. I'll put in recalibration marks at some stage.

What speedo did you get DazzaDM?

Pulled the sidecar carpet yesterday to clean up the mess from the coke leak. And found Eddie's former sandcastle under it. Apparently he was using builders mix as ballast, & had a wee explosion. So that's all been scooped out & the carpet washed.

[​IMG]

Onto sidecar alignment today. Distinguished Gentlemens Ride tomorrow (Sunday). If you haven't sponsored me for that, here's another opportunity. It's raising funds (& awareness) for Prostate Cancer Research. All funds go to NZ PCR. Thanks to those that already have donated. :D
    Te Hopo likes this.
  9. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I like the bash plate, is it a DIY one as I need one for ST ( for all the off road stuff I don't actually do but could)
    Mulling over your toaster tan triple clamp as it would fit the ST ....decisions decisions...
    How does one set " the sag" on a sidecar I wonder...?
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The PO of Gus made it, not me. I would struggle to bend the 5mm thick alloy. I probably wouldn't have drilled the holes he did either.

When I was drifting in the gravel on the way up to the Kiwi, I could hear it pinging off the underside of the bike & thought I needed to get that sorted fairly quickly. Just takes one shaley rock to turn the wrong way, and...

DazzaDM made one for the Bemaha
    Lots of 3 litre water bottles in the chair (to simulate a monkey), & tie down straps on the bike to pull the suspension down to ride height (to simulate the rider).

I've pulled the chair closer to the tug, & levelled the chair frame, which was nose up & leaning in towards the tug. The whole alignment exercise was very educational but time consuming. In between showers, because I chose to do this on the (level) driveway rather than in the garage. Anyway, test rode okay. I'm wondering if the rear clamps had slipped prior to my doing the alignment, so have marked them. I may need to weld them in...

The shock on the sidecar is completely damping free at present. Looking for a replacement. That'll change things again.
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The speedo is a cheap chinese unit, cost aboout $15, so will be interesting to check against gps for accuracy. They say it's waterproof, so will see...
    [​IMG]

Your rear tyres look good. Serious grip, I hope the monkey enjoys the riding :thumb
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    It's pretty stable, probably because the forks are raked out slightly. You do notice road irregularities. The chair turns better now than when I picked it up, but because I've brought the chair closer to the tug, is more inclined to 'fly the chair', particularly if I don't have the chair ballasted. Just something to be aware of.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMENS RIDE 2015:
    After a week of unsettled weather, it was only fair that we got a spotless day for the Distinguished Gentlemens Ride. It was only slightly marred by a little chilly wind at Shelley Bay.

There were 107 sponsored riders on the event, but many more that just came along for the ride. The theme for the ride was café racers, bobbers, choppers, vintage & classic bikes, sidecars, & bikes with a little more…undefineable X factor. Not a ride for pocket rockets, CVT scooters, & modern chook chasers. Part of the theme was in the way one dressed for the occasion. All of this was in support of raising awareness & funding for Prostate Cancer Research. You can still donate here.

[​IMG]

The ride started at noon at the Fishermans Table, Oriental Parade, & rode Wellingtons Bays, regrouping at The Chocolate Fish at Shelley Bay, & the Bach, on Wellingtons South Coast, finishing at the Rouge & Vagabond at Garret St in the CBD.

I’ll let some of the pictures we took tell the story of event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note the labels on the jerry cans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Indian's Rider...

[​IMG]
    I wish I'd thought of this a few years ago...

[​IMG]
    Crowds at Oriental Parade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crowds at Shelley Bay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lots of hot air in the cold wind...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On Wellington's South Coast, near the Bach Cafe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The end of the ride at the Rouge & Vagabond.

[​IMG]
    Some random chick that wanted her photo taken...

There are more photos by following the Ride Photos link in my sig line.

I see from video posted over on Facebook that one GuzziTony was at the Chch DGR...
  14. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    That stepthru is awesome.....
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  15. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Groooovey Steve. (could of just used the like button but they are so impersonal)
    bart-nz and Box'a'bits like this.
  16. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Te Hopo likes this.
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I'd like it but:
    • Mrs Box'a'bits wouldn't ride it. Likes an enclosed sit in chair, not an open enduro style;
    • Not worth the noise;
    • I would have to sell the existing chair & Gus to afford this. Never going to happen.
    It is my dream style of outfit though...maybe with a bigger tank...

Perhaps one for you Padmei. Mrs Padmei would love it. Don't take off the fairing on this one though, m'kay?
  18. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Yeah nah Mrs padmei would not be keen at all. I was wondering about the seat height - good for overlanding Africa/ Aussie kinda stuff. It is pretty expensive but tre cool one must admit.
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Designed for a much more active monkey, i.e. helping weight the tug & chair dependent on which way you turn. That would completely freak Mrs Box.a.bits out.

Very cool, much stronger set up than the Velorex frame. And taller. Note the leading links forks, & the frame brace going from the bike all the way to the outside edge of the sidecar frame, linked brakes etc
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    You DO realise that this is the same one that Micawberism posted earlier don't you? Post #40.