1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not A Straycation - 10th Aug '20
    Work was pushing for us to reduce leave balances. Mrs Box.a.bits originally mooted a trip to Chch, which she subsequently reneged on. I wasn’t going to take a Staycation. So eventually I decided I’d duplicate the first part of the ‘Carvan of Fools Tour’ & see where we went from there.

Left on Monday 10th Aug. The weekend weather was supposed to be poor & I thought I’d let that pass – and besides I had other things to take care of before I left. But as it transpired, the weather forecasters got it wrong & it was fine. A missed opportunity.

Left Wellington after 9.00. Late as usual. Filled at Rimutex, & thought I'd be good until Napier. Slabbed it to Masterton, then hit the Bideford Rd – the first gravel. That had a grader making a mess at the start of the road...

[​IMG]

Bartons Rd, where last time I chased some steers for miles..

[​IMG]

Then back onto SH 52, & then Pori Rd. Chased a small goat for a good distance thru’ there, & a stoat nearly got a tyre track across it’s back when it left it’s run a little late. I suspect it’d been distracted by the mouse it was holding in it’s jaws.

[​IMG]

Took the turn to Towai / Rising Sun – was a bit windy up there, & some drizzle. No one visible working at the limeworks. The other side of the hill was finer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch at Waihi Falls. Walked down to the bottom of the falls. Spectacular, but not as much water going over as I thought there might be. And I need to work on fitness. That climb back up...

[​IMG]

Back out onto SH52, then left onto Tahuokaretu Rd, & Birch Rd East. There is a bit of logging going on up there, so an encouragement to stay left. Winter light (harsh contrasts) and some road damage caused this section to be a little exciting. That included sunken wheel tracks in soft ground, & subsidance that had the sidecar doing motocross jumps. That’s fine as long as both wheels leave the ground at the same time. But when the tug disappears into a unseen drop off, & the sidecar wheel stays high, just a bit puckering.

Didn’t stop for the longest place name. Was running behind schedule.

Hit the beach at Blackhead exactly at low tide. Good firm sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the bypass track at the Aramoana slip is gone. And the beach below that has been scoured out. The bank was about 6 foot up. So had to hot foot it along the rock reef.

[​IMG]

The sand beach after Aramoana was good. But I hit a rock hidden in seaweed with the sidecar wheel, & that bounced the tub up in the air for a good distance. The tracks told a good story. Fortunately no damage.

The head between Aramoana & Pourere beach was also scoured out, & I had to do some more reef riding. This time I got stuck in a crevice between slabs, with both the tug & tub wheels locked in that. I got some assistance to lift it out from some guys just about to go out for some Paua. I probably could have got it out myself (with a lot of effort), but good to accept help when offered. I think they were bemused to see a sidecar doing the run through there – they had come in with a 4WD. They wanted to know where my passenger was...

Time was getting on now, so needed to move towards Napier.

I decided a cabin rather than camping was the thing. But on arrival at Westshore Affordable Holiday Park at just before 6.00 (just after dark), I discovered a note to say the office shut at 5.00pm, & that it wasn't due to reopen at 10.00am. It suggested that I didn't call the 0800 no provided outside those hours. But the message did offer to let me camp outside the fence line for just $20/night. So I did the right thing, & shifted some of their barriers to allow me & the sidecar to weasel into the camp. I selected a suitable site, set up the tent, & then went hunting for a shower. Bugger – you need to pay for that, & I didn’t have the right change. Good job I had dinner on board.

Checked my messages - already got the first 'please call me, urgently' message from work....

More to come.
  2. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not A Straycation - Tuesday 11th Aug '20:
    Up at 7.00am, packed & set to go by 8.00am, but first needed to call work to resolve the message from last night. Nothing I could deal with from Napier, but it took a ½ hr to make sure.

The weather reports indicated drizzle from 2.00pm, & I was keen to get a good ride in before I hit any of that...Still no movement at the office, so rode off, no one the wiser.

Hit first reserve just before Bayview BP, so gas mileage / capacity was a closer run thing than I'd intended.

Took SH5 out towards Eskdale, then right onto Waipunga Rd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darkys Spur Road. More logging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back onto SH2 just after Lake Tutira, & followed that thru to Wairoa.

Brunch at East End Cafe with the RH Stuart Nash, Minister of Police. I assume he was doing campaign meetings. Mrs Box'a'bits is usually the celebrity spotter, but...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small Gas top up at Wairoa, with an expectation I wouldn’t need more until Opotiki. Out via Tiniroto, missed some backroad goodness, but I wanted to press on, & hopefully miss the weather. But by the later portion of the Tiniroto Road it was raining & I decided to scrap the day's plans & head for Gisborne.

Was puzzled at the number of no vacancy signs in the Motels on the way in. Ended up at the Waikanae Beach Top 10 Holiday Park, basically because that was one of the few affordable options left.

I was followed in by a Tiger XCX, & when it turned out Paul had the same plans as me, we decided to share a room - no difference in room rate between 1 or 2 people, but it meant we could upgrade & split the cost.

[​IMG]

Took a walk into town, did some food shopping, visited a really good independent bookstore, & grabbed a couple of beers at the local Irish Pub.

More to come...
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not A Straycation - Wednesday 12th Aug ’20:
    Tuesday night I got a text from Mrs Box’a’bits telling me we had COVID community transmission again. She strongly suggested I get my butt home. And then we got the emergency alerts, one just after we went to bed, & then again early in the morning. So we felt remarkably informed for people on a holiday. Bugger. But given Level Two for anywhere NOT Auckland, I decided to ignore all that for now.

Funny how riding gives you time to think things through. Tuesday I noticed a variance between the speedo & the GPs speed readings at a notional 100kph. Previously they’d matched exactly. Recently I’d noticed it was harder to maintain speeds that I’d had no issues with maintaining previously. Fuel mileage had worsened. I’d wondered why. Not long before this trip I’d changed front tyres. The prior tyre had been a 110/80 18”. The new tyre is a 400 18”, or the equivalent of a 110/90 18”. That aspect change meant the speedo (which is driven by the front wheel) was under reading by about 5%. The poor mileage I’d been getting could also be attributed to that.

Gisborne had a bit of rain overnight (but apparently not as much as my spy in Opotiki said they got - hi Hedley :wave). Anyways, we got enough rain to pool in the passenger footwell portion of the tub. It leaks down the windscreen stays & thru both splits in the tonneau cover. No issues – I didn’t store anything in there overnight - but annoying none the less.

So the first order of business (after a bacon & egg buttie & coffee) was to bail the sidecar footwell out, & then to recalibrate the speedo wheel circumference setting up 5%

The Wednesday morning weather was fine in Gisborne, but still looked marginal in the hills. Perfect. Paul had ridden Lake Waikaremoana yesterday, so was keen on the Motu next. So rather than wait another day for the weather to settle, we decided to get to it.

I led out (given I knew where I was going). First turn off was Whakarau Rd. There were road crews in there doing some work. The girl doing the stop go didn’t even bother flipping the sign. Obviously loads of traffic to deal with, but she likely considers it’s the personal touch that matters most.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the way thru Whakarau Rd we encountered a road closed sign. Crap. But I decided to continue on & see what caused that. I figured we might be able to ease round any slip or washout. Turns out it was the same subsidence I’ve struck before. A bit steep riding down (the photo doesn’t do it justice). I think Paul on his roadie tyres found it a bit sketchy.

[​IMG]

Stopped at the Motu rest area, & found we had the interest of a number of North Island Wekas.

[​IMG]

The Motu was intially in reasonable condition, but had some unexpectedly muddy corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’d told Paul the Motu was all on a rocky base. It turns out that there were some logging trucks going through there. The block they were logging must have been an abandoned farm – it was up a side track. And the trucks were blocked from going the other way by some road maintenance being done further down.

[​IMG]

I wouldn’t have wanted to meet them head on. Fortunately the first truck came past as we were taking a break, & he let us know that there was another truck following about 5-10 minutes behind.

The road maintenance was ‘interesting’. Deep & chunky, with a big central ridge. I couldn’t follow the wheel tracks. I could either ride with the tub or the tug on the central ‘ridge’. If I had the tub & tug wheels straddling the central raised ‘base’ I ended up doing my own grading with the tub frame. Paul didn’t enjoy me putting the tug on the raised portion. I was slinging too much rock back at him.

Between the end of that work & the stream crossing I lost Paul behind me. I stopped before the stream intending to tell Paul I’d take a photo there. And waited, & waited, & waited.

Finally I turned around & rode back, wondering what had happened. Perhaps a rock had taken out a tyre? We’d come thru fast, so the possibility that he’d had an incident & gone off the side occurred to me. When I’d reached the begining of the track maintenance again, I was beginning to be seriously worried. I rode slowly back to the stream, looking for tracks & any sign of an incident. Nothing, But I could see what I thought were his tracks early on.

Ran back up again, & rode back down with no helmet, engine off often, listening, standing on the pegs, & peering over the side. There is no mobile coverage up there, & so I was trying the determine what my next move would be.

Fortunately before I did anything more, I heard the sounds of a Tiger engine. Turns out he’d realised his tankbag was unzipped, & that he’d lost his wallet somewhere. He’d ridden back to where we stopped last to see if it was there, or on the track. I was relieved, but pretty pissed off that he’d not thought to tell me before he’d headed back.

The stream crossing was deepish, & I stupidly pulled in the clutch. With water in the bell housing, the clutch slipped, which meant Gus took a bit to ride out the other side.

Paul nearly lost it coming out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nearly

We'd lost time in the Motu, & hadn’t had lunch, so we rode together to the Opotiki Hot Bread Cafe to deal to that. I shouted him lunch (a coffee, a banana & a muesli bar) & got him to call the Bank Contact Centre. His Bank (WBC Opotiki) had closed at 2.00pm as a result of the Level 2 restrictions. The contact centre couldn't set him up with Apple or Google Pay on his mobile, so he was stuffed until Thursday morning. And his bike had no gas. So I topped up his bike with fuel & suggested he spend another night with me at Awakeri.

Fish & chips for dinner.

While all those delays put paid to my riding on to Lake Waikaremoana that day, I have to say it’s nice relaxing in the Awakeri Hot Springs pools after a (1/2) day of riding.

More to come...
    WILL_S, dazzadm, Zebedee and 2 others like this.
  4. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    Stu Nash had precisely zero to do with why that photo was taken :lol3
    Ducatijim likes this.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @wairau it's all about plausible deniability...
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not A Straycation - Thursday 13th Aug ’20.
    I’d assured Mrs Box’a’bits I’d be home that night, so thought I’d better have a run at it.

Left Paul to sort out his issues. Turns out he had to go to Tauranga to do so. I think he headed for the Coromandel from there. He lives in Northland, so will have to pass through Auckland at some point.

Bloody cold heading past Lake Aniwhenua, thru the forestries, & then on to Galatea. Some where between 3 & 6 degrees, dependent on how much sun the area got. Frost on the roadside, and mist down by the Rangitaiki River.

[​IMG]

The road thru to Lake Waikaremoana wasn’t much better. 6 to 9 degrees mostly, usually at the lower end of the temperature range. Every time I go through the Lake road, things have changed slightly. This time there was a bit more seal, there were new buildings at Ruatahuna, including a new GAS station, & new buildings at the Lake Campground. The old Bedford Truck I used as a landmark was missing. Or perhaps my attention was elsewhere when I passed it. Loads of horses & pigs on the road. Still very scenic, hard work punting a sidecar thru there at a reasonable pace, & the tourists / other drivers always seem surprised to see someone else as they pass you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it to the Lake Waikaremoana campground at about 12.00 noon, & stopped for a coffee. Chased a ute through to Wairoa & another lunch stop at East End Cafe. Beef & Oregano Pie & a Latte. Decided not to fill for the Wairoa/Napier leg, & just flicked onto 2nd reserve before the Bayview BP. Gassed there (should be good until Wellington), & had a bit of sidecar delay factor with people wanting to talk to me about Gus.

The roads around Napier could do with a bit of maintenance. Loads of chunks ripped out of the roads.

Dannevegas for a Kiwi Burger & to defrost.

Mid way between Dannevegas & Woodville the Ute just in front of me nearly got taken out by a dark Nissan Skyline overtaking a truck round a blind bend. The Nissan didn’t have his lights on, & it was only the quick actions by the Ute (& me behind him) diving for the road verge that enough room was created to allow the Skyline to slide by. Idiot.

Took the Saddle Road just on dark. Hadn’t been over that since the Manawatu Gorge was closed. Wending through all the wind turbines is impressive. The roads had a bit of work done to accommodate the traffic volumes, but I still ended up queuing behind a slow Freightliner as it descended towards Ashhurst.

Had a rain burst at Ashhurst, & that resulted in smearing on my visor, which was a pain thru to Otaki. Stopped at Otaki for a coffee (and a round of sidecar discussions with passers by).

Home just on 8.00pm, an hour later than I’d hoped. Google Maps tells me that should have taken 9 hrs 17 mins, & is 640 kms.

Maintenance 23rd Aug '20 - 270,032 kms:
    • Checked the tappets. No movement on the LHS. Just slightly loose on the RHS. Both exhaust rockers have about 10mm end play;
    • Replaced the bottom plugs;
    • Changed the engine oil;
    • Switched the rear tyre from Mitas E09 (6mm) back to Anakee 2 radial (4mm). No point in wearing down the Mitas in day to day running;
    • Greased the rear shock bearings/bushings;
    • Switched the front guard from the YZ250F to a 19" UFO guard. This is purely for cosmetic reasons - the YZ250F guard looked too big for the size of the 18" wheel.
    • Noticed I lost a Mosko Moto pannier frame screw. Replaced
  7. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Another great report- words and pics - Steve. Inspiring to get out again soon
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. Am looking forward to having a big ride at some stage...
    innathyzit and Box'a'bits like this.
  9. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed that. Great photos
    innathyzit and Box'a'bits like this.
  10. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Such fine literature written in this report. Have not seen anything written so well since that that well known Nelson literalist of fine wording Padmei last posted a thread
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Admirals Road & Glendhu - 30th Aug '20
    Couple of rides on offer -
    • A TSS run thru Admirals Rd & then onto Glendhu, or
    • A Motomart run that looked longer, but with more seal.
    Gravel trumps seal every time, so the TSS ride was the winner of the battle of the brands.

I’d figured out how much gas the TSS ride would require, & topped up the day before. I didn’t count on Mrs & Miss Box.a.bits deciding that I needed to run them round shopping Saturday, so that ate into the gas budget a tad.

The weather forecasts had the day as fine, moderately warm, but with the possibility of strong winds. Decided to take the screen off the tub to make Gus a bit less susceptible to that.

Early start. I wanted to get over the hill, up to Carterton for mushrooms (keen to keep Mrs Box.a.bits happy), then back to Martinborough for coffee before the TSS ride arrived at about 10.00am. My timing was perfect.

[​IMG]

Latte & a herb & cheese scone at the Village Cafe (predictable)...The nicely sunny seat gave a good view of the BP.

[​IMG]

27 riders turned up. A bit more than anticipated. Good to catch up with a number of guys I have met before.

I volunteered to share tail end charlie duties with Stuart, today running in a KTM 390 Adventure. The sidecar is instantly recognisable as TEC, & has a number of other advantages in that position as well. BTW, the KTM 390 gets along okay, but was a little hampered today because the traction control is not available to be released until after the initial service.

Out via Ponatahi Rd, Millars Rd, & then low & behold, the 1st casualty of the day. Aaron (DRZ400) had locked up his gearbox & broken his chain. We made arrangements to get back to him after the ride, if he hadn’t already been able to sort things by then. We left him on the phone, sorting a ride home. Fortunately he's an AA member, & was able to organise a tow truck to get him back to Wellington.

In hindsight, maybe I should have just got him to cable lock the bike to the fenceline, & got him to monkey for me for the day.

[​IMG]

Regroup at the summit of Admiral Hill. Then pushed on onto the gravel of Wainuiora Rd. Mario dropped his R1200GS on nearly the first gravel corner, hitting it too enthusiastically, & then trying to scrub speed. I’ve always said Adventure Riding is a confidence trick. Someone else dropped their bike later in the day too. Both must have picked their bikes up fairly smartly - I didn't see either.

[​IMG]

The gravel was a bit variable between hardpark, thru to river stones & deep soft silt. Even the sidecar struggles in that. At the air strip I set up to take the left bend, & the rig just snowplowed for the 1st portion of that corner. Not quite what I was anticipating. Usually I like deepish gravel.

Regroup at the intersection with Hinakura Rd, gobbled down a couple of sandwiches. Thought about another brew up (hi my name is Stephen, & I’m a coffee addict), but the team staged an intervention.

Left onto Bush Gully Rd, then left again into Pahaoa Rd. The last time I rode that was with the KTM 640a. Perhaps I need to get out there more. The gravel was excellent past the grader, but the road was quite narrow & there were a few too many unexpected little washouts on the inner portions of the corners to want to slide too much.

Got my coffee fix at the Pahaoa River Mouth

[​IMG]

Straightforward run back to Martinborough from there. Stayed well back from the pack to avoid the dust. Called Aaron to find out what was up with him. By that stage he was in a truck, on his way over the Remutakas. A text from him later indicated that the bottom end of his bike isn’t looking too pretty.

Nearly had an altercation with a local at Martinborough. He was of the view I shouldn't take up a carpark. I pointed out there was one of me & one of him in each of our vehicles. Also I arrived first. And that the sidecar took a little bit more space than a solo motorcycle. Twat. I had been about to allow him the park, & move a bit further up, as I could see a gap I could fit into... As it was, he parked in 1/2 in 'my' carpark, & 1/2 in dotted yellows. Just after he left, I moved, as I had orginally intended. Hope he got ticketed.

Ginger beer & brownie at Cafe Medici.

The run over the Remutakas started well. Part way up (but still towards the bottom end) I noticed a trail of oil in the centre of my lane. Just a bit further on there was a Chevy Impala, nose into the shrubbery, just before a tight right hand corner. Looks like either the motor or gearbox expired. The driver was sitting on the passenger side with his feet up on the dashboard, obviously waiting on a rescue. A bit further up there were two people movers off to the side, both with passengers leaning out the left side, doing in tandem what passengers often do on that hill.

Just after the summit, I was glad to have the training wheel on. It helps avoid being quite so pushed around by the wind.

Home sometime just after 4.00pm.
    Mc107, Zebedee, steam powered and 5 others like this.
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to be lots of subway signs..., but good write up. I need to do more riding down there....

Much better now:thumb
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  13. Mc107

Mc107 Underwear sniffer

Oddometer:
    Do you know how Aaron is getting on with his DRZ ?
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not heard any more...Just that he'd got it home, started ripping into it, & the bottom end wasn't looking pretty
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    BMWOR Ride Sunday 20th Sept 20
    Had an invite from Stephen Oatley to attend a BMWOR ride. The idea was the main group would split into gravel & road rides, & then the groups would meet for lunch at the Kimbolton Pub. I’d thought about doing Takapari Rd for dessert, if the weather cooperated.

Met at Bill at Z Mana, & Stephen & Neville at Raumati. Rode thru to the Horseman Cafe (Shannon) for coffee as planned. It's had an interior upgrade, & the scone was much better than last time I was there.

Was a bit surprised to see the road riders going past earlier than expected – we thought they’d be longer.

[​IMG]

Regroup at Fusion Cafe at Asshurst.

A bigger than expected segment split for the gravel riders – all good. I agreed to be Tail End Charlie for the morning – the sidecar is pretty recognisable, & fairly uniquely suited to the role. I figured I’d just drop back & play, while I waited for the slower riders to come to grips with things.

Rode out to Pohangina, left into Finnis Rd & the beginning of the gravel, wave at my Grandad’s old farmhouse, then uphill past the shredded remains of the forestry (& the culvert I dropped the 640a into 11 or so years ago). I followed Bradley (a South African) on his R1200GS. I remain concerned about where he rides on gravel, especially when he’s not concentrating. Which is on the extreme right side of the gravel, heading into blind bends.

Out of that section, then a right turn onto the first section of Ridge Rd. I stopped here for a few minutes to let the group get ahead, to get some space. No point in pressuring the less confident riders.

Between hitting Ridge Rd & the scheduled regroup at London’s Ford Rd, Stephen diverged from the plan. There are a couple of intersections along the way, & the temption is always to follow the more travelled road. In fact, the opposite is true if you want to follow Ridge Rd – turn right, follow the less travelled road. I figured things had gone astray when there was wandering stock (mainly ewes with lambs), undisturbed gravel (no skids), & I didn’t catch up with anyone. Still, I had a great ride, pretty quick for that road. It's in good nick.

[​IMG]
    Note Dave's pristine (new) screen

Waited at London’s Ford Rd intersection, just in case the ride had turned around. Caught Dave flying thru with his R1200GS – late to the ride, coming from Featherston.

Finally caught up with the main group at Kimbolton. Egg burger for lunch.

The afternoon ride was scheduled to take in Peep’o’day Rd. I was TEC along the Kimbolton-Rangiwahia Rd, left turn onto Peep’o’day Rd. Stopped again to let the slower riders do their thing. Unfortunately Bradley thought I’d had an issue, so came back. And dropped his R1200GS doing a U turn. He’d been testing out luggage for a South Island trip, & it tipped ‘downhill’, so a bit of heft to get back onto it’s wheels. Nothing damaged but pride.

[​IMG]

A couple of turns further on, a deeper gravel ‘patch’ on a corner caught Dave by surprise. A bit of rash on the crash bars, & a cracked screen. Nothing a little Duct tape couldn’t fix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the intersection of Peep’o’day & Waituna-Tapuae Rds, we had a discussion about who wanted to continue with gravel, & who wanted to head for seal. That cleared about ½ the group.

[​IMG]

I agreed to lead the ride from there, so got in a few slides down to the T-intersection with Upper & Lower Pakihikura Rd, then right into Mangapapa Rd, & through the devastation of the former forestry on Waipuru Rd. I may have ignored the ridiculously low 30 kph limit thru there. Ask Bill & Rohan. They were right behind me, & probably had more time to check their speedos. There were a few soft wheel ruts/traps in the road just to add to the pucker factor. Best bit of the ride.

Right onto Mangamako Rd, the gravel disappeared, but the twistys remained, left onto Otara Rd, across the Rangitikei River (the downhill there is always awesome), then out onto SH1 near Ohingaiti.

[​IMG]

Off to Hunterville in search of a drink, then back to Vinegar Hill Rd (the music stopped here – I'd forgotten to charge the Cardo - low battery).

Stopped just after the turn off to Colyton to play good Samaritan for a Full Dresser Harley rider, who was pushing his bike along the road. His bike had gone into limp mode, then died. Fortunately he’d already done the hard yards (miles) & was 2 driveways from home.

Then Colyton, Asshurst, Shannon, & then chased Stephen thru to Otaki, where I stopped for Gas. As I left the gas station, I tagged onto the back of the Bradley, Peter & Rohan road train. We'd lost them at Asshurst.

Bradley & Rohan split at Paraparumu. That left Peter & I. I got caught in traffic at MacKays Crossing - the perils of the sidecar - whereas Peter just cruised past, lane splitting.

Home by 7.00pm. Something like 450 kms for the day, unfortunately with a lower than anticipated gravel ratio.

Maintenance 271,057 kms - 4th Oct '20.
    • Finally made up an indicator idiot light. Put in some diodes so that the flash from each side doesn't feed across to the other indicators.
    • Started to prepare a self recovery kit, using rope, carabiners, & pulleys. I have a trip down to the top of the South Island at the end of Oct. I expect that I'll do some tracks solo after the main event, & it'd be embarrassing to get stuck.
    • Bought a Motz Tractionator Adventure 130/80 17 for the trip. 12mm tread depth. I'll fit that closer to the time.
    dazzadm, Oaters, oldbeer and 3 others like this.
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    ADVrider Eketahuna weekend - 17th Oct '20:
    A weekend at Eketahuna, as part of a plan hatched by ADVrider inmate Oldbeer. What could possibly go wrong there... The loose plan was a coffee at Addiction Cafe 8.30 or 9.00 am Saturday morning, followed by a few drinks at the Eketahuna Pub at beer o’clock

I decided the easiest way to met the morning timeline was to ride up Friday night. Left work at 4.00pm, but hadn’t really thought too much about commute traffic, so things got stalled somewhat. Still made it to Eketahuna sometime after 6.30ish.

Really impressed with the Eketahuna camp grounds. Very cheap, fresh eggs, herbs, & (warm) scones laid on in the kitchen. Pots, plates & cutlery available for use. And a pretty good standard of facilities. I could see a few people (Mr Kiwi, Kiwpewe, Jatz, Old Beer, Eri) has already arrived, but were nowhere to be seen. I figured they’d be at the pub.

I’d brought a devilled sausage casserole for dinner with me, so heated and demolished that in short order, then wandered down to the pub for a few beers & a catch up with the boys.

Had a bit of a chinwag & a few nightcaps outside the kitchens, before retiring for the night.

A bit bloody nipply over night though....

Saturday morning we met with the wider group on SH2, outside Addiction Cafe. That late comers consisted of Whale Rider, Bassman1, KTMMurphy, DazzaDM, Glen, Night Falcon, EVLED, Colin & ManakauKTM. Did the yackity yack thing. But was really hungry, as I thought this was supposed to happen over food, so took care of that over at ‘The Lazy Graze’ cafe (Addiction wasn’t set up for breakfast).

[​IMG]

The group split into two for a day ride – those that absolutely couldn’t imagine the day without gravel, & those others over there that needed tarmac. Guess group which I was in.

EVLED had loosely prepped a loop out to Akito beach, with an expectation we’d meet the others at the Pongoroa Hotel for lunch at 1.00ish. Fortuitously, this coincided exactly with what I’d hoped to do. The one deviation was that Bassman1 had done a loop Friday, which included Pori Rd, & he warned us this was pretty swampy. So we avoided it for the morning.

Out on the Mangaoranga Rd dirt super highway, narrowing down, then left onto Barton Line to connect to SH 52. A little confusion as we passed Saunders Rd (were we doing Pori Rd after all?). But we kept the faith, & eventually hit the cornerman at Waihoki Valley Rd, Huia Rd, Spur Rd (roads getting narrower & harder to drift the sidecar on) thru' the forestry to a regroup at Coast Rd, & then onto Pongoroa for lunch. We were fairly early for that. Must have hustled along a bit too quickly.

[​IMG]
    DazzaDM, Bassman1, EVLED, Colin

[​IMG]
    EVLED & Colin

After lunch I let Dazzadm loose for a quick blat on the sidecar. He has a loose sidecar sitting in his garage, & I’m trying to convince him that it NEEDS to be attached to the Beemaha. But I don’t know he was super impressed with the seal road handling (left handers can be ‘special’).

The afternoon started with SH52, then Towai Rd. We may have freed a group of yearlings steers along the way. They were on the road verge, with electric fencing. They started running at one end of the fenceline, & forgot to stop at the other. Regroup at the summit, with the rain starting to come in. Onto Connoor Rd, heading towads Makuri. The group split at the intersection of Pahiatua –Pongoroa Rd & Pori Rd, with EVLED & Colin heading towards PNth from there.

I led the remnants thru’ Pori Rd, & put the hammer down there a bit, determined to set up some berms for the boys behind me.

Regroup at the summit. Never good to see a grader parked up there. But the road was tidier than Bassman1 had experienced, so no issues.

[​IMG]
    DazzaDM, manakauKTM & Bassman1 at the Pori Rd summit. All looking...somewhere else.

[​IMG]
    DazzaDM at the Port Rd summit

[​IMG]
    ManakauKTM's beasty

Then we basically backtracked on this mornings run from SH52 back. I may have moved on an inordinate number of hares & rabbits on the way back.

Bugger all photos for the day, mostly on the cellphone.

ClintNZ & Rosie! arrived early evening.

Dinner at the Eketahuna Pub – fairly large portions. Not that I needed it. I struggled with the Steak & Egg burger & chips at the Pongoroa Pub, & the big Breakfast prior to that, so wasn’t excessively hungry. Then back to the cabins for a very convivial few nightcaps.

Sunday morning pack up, & left with Jatz to do Mangaoranga Rd, right into Bowen Rd (the best type of road with grass growing in the middle, onto Opaki – Kaiparore Rd, thru to SH2. Then slabbed it to Carterton, where I split from Jatz to visit Parkvale for more mushroom treats for Mrs Box’a’bits. Then cruised thru to Martinborough for a coffee & herb & cheese scone in the sun. Home for lunch.

Thanks to everyone that came for your company over a really great weekend.
    dazzadm, Night Falcon, EVLED and 3 others like this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn.... cameras are out... just look normal, don't look at the camera... bugger he got me.:fishie

Yes, the sidecar does need to be attached to something, and a big learning curve to start. Got to get the building project out of the way first though... thank you for the ride on the unit, worth it.:D
  18. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    I enjoy this thread @Box'a'bits thankyou for going to the effort you do. Good storytelling.
    Night Falcon and Box'a'bits like this.
  19. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    When ya own BMW's you get good at telling stories .......:imaposer
    dazzadm, EVLED and Zebedee like this.