Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I do now. :kat
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    BEYOND THE BRIDGE - 10/10/15
    On Saturday Miss Box’a’bits & I journeyed up to Beyond the Bridge Café (Nr Woodville) to meet up with my little bro & his beau. They were on their way to Wellington for the weekend.

Slabbed it to Masterton, then took SH52 thru to Alfredton, Pa Valley Rd, & Mangaone Valley Rd thru to Pahiatua. Only a ½ hr late to the café meeting place.

[​IMG]

A large feed of wedges, with a bacon, cheese, sour cream, & sweet chilli topping, downed with a bowl latte. Miss Box'a'bits had the healthy option.

We took a somewhat circuitous route back home. I don’t know if any (except me) expected the mileage we did…I figured we needed to introduce these out of towners to the scenic wonderland that is the South Wairarapa.

This took in Pori Rd. My one of my favorite gravel roads. And a good excuse to show off one of the strengths of the sidecar to the monkey & visitors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Obviously not good at reading signage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Native bee killer...

Back down SH52 to Masterton, then Te Whiti Rd round the back of Gladstone & into Martinborough followed by a quick sprint over the Rimutakas to home. I can truthfully say that I was working (hard) for my dinner…It drifts on seal too – if you push it hard enough in slower corners.

The sidecar makes a good photography platform.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

451.7kms for the day. The 2 peaks beginning & end are the Rimutakas. The highlighted one is Pori Rd.

Post alignment:
    When I aligned the chair I reduced the track width down 5 cm or so. The outfit now turns easier, but is more inclined to loft the chair on left turns.

I noted that it also doesn’t drift as predictably as it did on the Kiwi Weekend. This also might be down to the gravel consistency at Pori Rd, or greater weight in the chair.

Maintenance & modification.
    Picked up some cheap progressive 412 shocks off a Harley FXR. These aren’t adjustable for damping. They are the right length, & the springs are supposed to be right for the chair, but will need new bushes made up to fit it.

Checked out the swingarm pivot bearings. Obviously the originals (note the CSSR marking). The inboard bearing is fine, the outboard is getting notchy & needs replacement.

[​IMG]

Didn’t realise quite how much flex there is in the sidecar wheel. Wow…

The cycle speedo has shit the bed, & is history. Back to using the GPS.

Tried my very best to kill the Lasertec rear tyre, but it’s continuing to hang in there…I think I’ll just swap it out anyway.
  3. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great day out, some great action shots from the chair. :ricky
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:

Gave Jeff Cowin a run down at the DressMart carparks. Another possible convert. He talking about setting up an Enduro frame on his Dominator, using the KTMLC4 swing arm & shock.

Maintenance:

19,934 kms (at least according to the speedo). +100k kms at least for the frame, & +200k kms for the engine?

New Heidenau K60 Scout on the rear. 10mm tread depth. Practically jumped on the rim itself - I'd heard that these were a shit to mount...:brow

Mitas H06 on the front. I didn't measure when new, but has done more than 1192 kms for the Cold Kiwi & Beyond the Bridge rides, & say another 200-300 kms running round, & now has a little over 5mm tread depth (centre).

Shortened the screen & made it 'squarer'. Modernises the look, & better for drag, visibility, & clean air for the monkey.

LED taillight & indicator (from a Trailer) to replace the existing tail light, & an LED indicator on the front of the sidecar mudguard.

Replaced the sidecar swing arm bearings. The inboard bearing is positively located with 2 circlips (one on each side of the bearing).
  5. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    so what did you broked?

photos please
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The sidecar wheel has essentially collapsed. Only 13 of the 36 spokes are unbroken.

I'm on the road, going to a funeral. Pics are an issue. Back Wed night.

AA plus has taken care of things & I'm now in a rental car.
    Te Hopo likes this.
  7. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Obviously something hasn't been right with the wheel for a while?
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I think the wheel was too light for the application.

I looked at the wheel before I left - particularly looking at the wheel bearings. As you know I replaced the swing arm bearings. The spokes were fine at that stage.
  9. Mark_S

Oddometer:

obviously you spoke too soon.
    Muzz67 and Te Hopo like this.
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I saw what you did there.
  11. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    yes - I knew you would

all the ktm riders would have missed it
    innathyzit likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey....I saw what you did there but was too polite to mention it....unlike certain bmweronians
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    THE DEMISE OF THE SIDECAR WHEEL:
    Needed to attend my late Uncle’s funeral in Matamata. I also had a bunch of Yamaha parts to deliver to my friend Kevin in Hamilton. And frankly needed some time out after my mother-in-law spent 10 days staying with us. So decided the cheapest & best way to get there was with the chair.

[​IMG]

Given that it’s not really the done thing to turn up at a funeral covered in mud, I thought I’d slab it up, & come back on a muddier alternative route. But I did take in Pohangina Valley, out of respect of my Uncle – it’s where he was born & grew up.

[​IMG]

The day started fine & wind less – I thought it’d be a great day for riding. But by Palmerston North, the wind had come up, some clouds started to roll in, & it got relatively cold.

Fun over the Desert Rd. Helps to have a tail wind in the rear quarter.

Rolling along the Lake front after Tuarangi, I noticed the sidecar ‘bouncing’ a little. I knew the sidecar wheel was out of balance, & put it down to that & the road conditions.

At the Taupo bypass roundabout, things appeared to have deteriorated slightly, in that the outfit's handling didn’t feel normal, so I thought I’d stop & check it. It didn’t feel like the flat I got in Cambridge, but I thought it was possible I had a slow leak.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the wheel had busted out a no of spokes, so I knew that I wasn’t going to get further than Taupo. But I thought if I crept along I might get to the camp ground I was aiming for, & I could look at my options from there.

Didn’t make it. Stopped about a km away, because the wheel was moving around too much & I was concerned it would collapse entirely. There was only 13 of the 36 spokes still intact. All the others were broken.

[​IMG]

Fortunately I have AA plus breakdown insurance. A call to them had a tow truck on the way to put the bike into storage, & a rental car booked to allow me to continue the trip. They were also to arrange to truck the sidecar home. You can make up to $800 per claim. With the rental car, tow, & trucking, this was going to slide just under.

The best laid plans don’t always work. No one knows how to deal with a sidecar. It’s too wide for Bike Tranz etc, & the normal car transport cos didn’t want to deal with it. The best quote was $700, 10 days delivery.

So I am going back to Taupo tomorrow with a car transport trailer. The sidecar is going to look lost on that. But it was the best option we could come up with. AA plus will cover trailer hire age, & gas to $150. But the thing is friggen huge & bloody heavy, so I suspect it’ll be a slow trip & hard on the Subaru…

Wish me luck.
  14. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch
  15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    You can fly the chair for long distances....not something I used to get into, but I knew guys who'd ride all day on 2 wheels. Same mindset as those types who ride their bike on one wheel. Back in the day my boss used to ride his XR to work and back on the rear wheel....up and downhill, around corners.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard luck Steve, breakdowns are downright annoying....not that I'm familiar with them at all being a KTM rider. You might need a new hub cap as well.
  17. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    Just a few pics of Steve demonstrating how to 'fly the chair' you can see some of the forces at work and I'm not surprised about the broken spokes, bearings will be another thing to watch.
    Thanks for the ride Steve, I thought that riding monkey, or being a swinger perhaps? would be terrifying, but not, it was hilarious fun and I felt I could have settled in there for decent run, damn shame you don't live close to gravel roads.
    I did a few figure 8's round the carpark with Steve acting as 'ballast' (say no more) and was surprised at how much effort was required to get the contraption to change direction. We discussed whether you had to get used to riding solo again afterwards and after only 5 minutes on it I spent the firs 200m on my bike learning how to ride it again, found myself sitting up straight and trying to steer round the corners.
    I've got a spare Africa Twin in the basement, a few dismantled bikes, #8 wire, 4x2's, hmmm ......

20151012_185406.jpg

20151012_185345.jpg
    20151012_185410.jpg
    Te Hopo, bart-nz and innathyzit like this.
  18. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    So how did the damage happen? Still a bit lost,,, again, Bad luck or unnoticed overdue maintenance syndrome?
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Dunno, but happened during the trip. I'd replaced the sidecar swing arm bearings just before the trip, checked the wheel bearings, & did a quick check over the spokes. Due for a WoF, & I was doing work to ensure no issues when I found out about my Uncle.

At the time that I checked the wheel bearings I was surprised at the amount of 'flex' in the wheel. But the spokes appeared still good at that stage.
    • The wheel is off a small Suzuki road(?) bike given the cush drive & 16" size.
    • The wheels aren't built for the lateral force that the sidecar puts on them.
    • The spokes are a 90 degree pull from the hub. That can't help.
    • Maybe just a bit too light for this application.
    • Could be ancient.
    • I'd also given the unit a hard time when I did the 'Beyond the Bridge' ride. I was punting along thru Pohangina, & also over the Desert Rd this ride. Perhaps cumulative stress...
    Maybe lost a spoke or two then, & the collapse from there snowballed...
  20. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Ah OK.
    Good having 2 bikes to play with tho aye.