Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    So maybe another cast wheel instead aye?
    At least this happened with just some bits and pieces in the chair instead of Mandy, not the sort of thing thing to encourage confidence
  2. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    Or maybe a rear wheel, shorter fatter spokes because of the bigger diameter of the cush drive hub and the drive torque?
  3. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    11 & 1/2hr round trip (including 2 fuel stops & a 1/2 hr lunch break at 4.00pm) to pick up the offending item, now safely tucked away in my garage....

[​IMG]

That is blue tint on the screen. It was pretty shitty weather...The Subaru achieved a new low of 5.27kms / litre of fuel. Heavy car transporter trailer, ramps that fold straight up into the air, & massive winds.
  4. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Hope you wasn't texting while driving,,,
  5. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So that’s about 19 litres/ 100 km? Boxer engine I take it? Legend...
  6. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Would you consider arrying a spare wheel with you ? i think I've seen a few on hakks.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Some sidecars are set up so that all of the wheels are the same size. But this one has different sizes tyres all round, albeit that the BMW is on 18" wheels. Ideally I'd replace the sidecar wheel with an 18" BMW cast wheel. But that would require considerable modification to the guards, axle etc to achieve.

I'll probably replace the sidecar wheel this time with a 17" cast one, which should just fit under the existing guard.

I have a spare for the rear on the tug, to accomodate muddy conditions. At the moment the chair frame isn't set up to take a spare though.
  8. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could look like something out of Hogan's Heroes
  9. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I know nuffing!!
  10. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    My Ural/VW had a Jupiter chair, not the same wheel as the Ural, but still built for purpose. My JB chair had a Jawa wheel, which is a bit strange as they were built using a BMC 1100 trailing arm, hub and wheel, I remember seeing the prototype chassis being built. Mine was the first JB chair sold, and the customer specified a spoked wheel, I got it at a couple of years old. Another couple of sidecars with trailer hubs and Mini wheels. You really need something built for side thrusts.

The JB child/adult chair and Jawa wheel you can hardly see. Eldest daughter at a few weeks old....we are all still alive despite living dangerously. The shed is still there, I'd like to think the other stuff is still out there somewhere.

[​IMG]
  11. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    so no camping trip this weekend?
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yup, still going. Just on Gus. You keen for a spin?
  13. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    have you already gone?
    I was planning going for a ride on Sunday - prolly popping in and seeing how heathens spend their holiday time
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Replacement sidecar wheel, 250/16 (front wheel). 100/90 16 front tyre(?). Fairly cheap. Looks strong enough.

[​IMG]

It's from a ('88?) Honda VFR400 NC24, so contemporary with the sidecar at least :eek7, albeit not quite in the same performance ball park. Comes with an old Metzler, so no need to get anything in (yet) to fit. Don't need to run anything aggressive on the sidecar wheel. Just something round & black. Tyres may be an issue in a few years, but...

Runs 20x42x12 bearings, so off Monday to get a new 20mm axle put in the sidecar swing arm to replace the (known to be weak) current 15mm one, as well at to get new 12mm bushes made up so I can fit the progressive shocks I bought a few weeks ago.

I wanted a 17" cast wheel, but had issues getting an appropriate one with enough meat in the hub to allow the bigger axle.

So are you saying you won't want it back after I've finished improving it for you?
    Te Hopo likes this.
  15. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:

I used a Suzuki FXR150 17" rear wheel on my side car.... I replaced the 17mm bearings with 3/4" (19.05mm)
    straight swap no machineing needed....

16. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the thread of this should be changed to eg. "Glutton for punishment". Anyone else got some suggestions. 'once bitten twice shy. '
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Did look at an RG150 rear....
  18. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have some spare wheelie bins for soaking the willow

[​IMG]
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Your photo went away...

Progress on the chair. Collected the new axle. Stepped 25mm & 20mm. Press fit into the swing arm, but with a nyloc nut on the inboard end as a 'belt & braces' locator. Much sturdier than the weedy 15mm it replaced. BTW that was bent...

[​IMG]

The wheel has been milled out to take the 25mm ID bearings on the swing arm side, & 20mm on the outside. The bearings are 6005 (25x47x12) & 6004's (20x42x12) respectively. The wheel needs a clean & repaint. It's been powder coated before & that's starting to bubble.

[​IMG]

The new wheel looks nice on the new spindle, but maybe has been spaced slightly too far out on the axle for the existing guard. I may need to have this tweaked.

[​IMG]

I seem to have fallen in with the progressive shocks (412s). These don't fit into the swing arm because:
    1. The shock base is too fat. I might have managed around this but:
    2. The bottom shock mount pivot point is offset for the Hardley swing arm shock mount.

Boo. I'll need to rethink this.

By the way, to keep his wife happy, some plonker has sold front & rear GS wheels on Trademe to pay for some of this.
    Te Hopo likes this.
  20. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    From the looks of that serious engineering upgrade I am seeing off roading in your future.
    kiwibul likes this.