Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    WAIRARAPA WANDERING: 29/11/15

Spent some time Saturday realigning the sidecar, given I’d replaced the bent 15mm axle with a straight one. I’d noticed the chair tyre was scuffing badly, & sure enough the toe in was well out (inward). Currently set with 3.5cm toe in, which still might be too much.

Sunday was supposed to be a great day, so booked in some ride time (for testing purposes only of course).

Andy Mac expressed some interest, but wasn’t keen on one of those an all day ‘get home after 8.00 rides’. Arranged to meet at 9.00am at Rimutex.

He was kept entertained going over the Rimtutakas by the sight of a certain sidecar, waving it’s wheel in the air on the exit of a lot of left handers. It was being pushed. Probably needs a bit more ballast in the chair. I’d manage to mostly hold it down going into & thru the left hand corners, but once I got the power on, it came up all by itself…honest :wink:

Passed a sidecar going in the other direction. What are the chances?

Slabbed it to Carterton to Wild Oats for a coffee & muffin. Nice sitting in the sun.

Given there was a forest fire out towards Riversdale, & there was heavy rain cloud that way anyway, we decided to flick thru Bideford. Saw 120 on the GPS thru there, but not a lot more spare Hamsters left to power the treadmill.

At SH52 I convinced Andy that given we were so close to Pori & Puketoi Rds, it’d be rude not to poke our noses up there. Have to say the chair doesn’t like the camber of Pori Rd going up (sloped in towards the hills, to the drainage ditches). Going down is much more satisfactory.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Andy Mac

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did Puketoi Rd as an in & out. That’s in good condition at present. Dry. No slips.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Andy Mac

[​IMG]

Castlehill Rd had a no of Horsefloats & a bit of other traffic on it (oncoming). Otherwise fast & flowing on the sidecar, albeit a bit barren following the logging operations.

Lunch at Tinui, then out Te Mai Rd, to access the Pack Spur to Mataikona Roads. First we had to find it. The road in has suffered heavy corrugations as a result of the logging operation at Te Mai Station.

Pack Spur Rd is a paper road which runs up to & alongside an Airstrip & through some private land, including a forestry block. It has had recent work, with big chunky gravel laid down. I assume this is to give an alternative back entry route into Mataikona. It gave a fairly jarring ride on the sidecar though, so I rode part of the airstrip to avoid this. I need better, longer travel suspension to soak that up.

[​IMG]

The big gravel stopped at the Forestry section. This has also had work, so was easy compared to other times I’ve ridden it (pine needles over clay in the winter). We were also descending (rather than ascending) the track, which is easier.

There are a couple of small (easy) stream fords towards the end of this section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy decided to see if one of his friends was home at their forestry holiday home. This was an interesting wee track with another couple of stream crossings. Unfortunately he wasn’t home. Nearly tipped the chair over on the exit to one of the stream crossings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photo by Andy Mac

Took a run down to Castlepoint Beach looking for gas (‘small’ tanks are a problem for me – I keep running out of fuel).

The gas pumps at Castlepoint beach store are no longer operational, but there is 24 hr ‘pay at pumps’ gas at the nearby Whakataki Hotel a few kms down the road. Just 91 & diesel though.

Castlepoint Beach is brought to you by the letter ‘O’. I need a more aggressive front tyre to give me more bite in the soft stuff. Steering was an issue.

[​IMG]

Flicked down Homewood Rd to ride the forestry (now that the fire was controlled). Still quite slippy (small pea gravel, hard base). Proportionately, the sidecar spent a lot of time sideways thru there. Andy showed off his off road riding prowess just in front of the Homewood Station homestead.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Andy Mac

Across Rimutakas & home sometime after 8.20pm. 517.2 kms. Just running onto reserve again.
    Pete-NZ, Underground, Te Hopo and 2 others like this.
  2. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I'm so glad I didn't come along

mulching a shit ton of branches was much more fun

did Andy arse off by Homewood Station?

great photo's and rr - but we expect nothing less....
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Nope, just ran out of road. So rode off road for a bit. I didn't actually see it. He admitted to it (I think because he thought I did) later when we stopped :lol3
  4. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    Very cool, I went to the BM one year and it was snowing, power slides are great fun.
    You seem pretty good on air time, tried doing a figure 8? that's a crowd pleaser.
    keep up the good work. ;-)
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not yet, but soon. Working up to it...
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Andy Mac giving this sidecar lark a go (at lunch, in the back street of the grand metropolises of Tinui).

[​IMG]
    Night Falcon likes this.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    From 01/11/15, the LT rules have been changed. I am just in the process of finding what this will mean for my chair.
  8. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    barstards. From what i've seen of sidechairs the owners are prob more on the conversative side of motorcyclists to begin with - present company excepted of course :)
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    errr umm like whats a LWC? ...............please don't cyberbully on me for showing my LWC unlearnedness :baby
  10. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    L V V C Low Volume Vehicle Certificate. IE: modified vehicle. Something us boy racers get finned for not having all of the time.
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So will you have to comply with the GS since you've built the new frame?
  12. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES for sure. Just throw some more money at it.
    WR
  13. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    MAINTENANCE 22/12/15:
    21,338 Kms
    • Engine oil & filter change
    • Gearbox oil change.
    • Checked the value clearances. Inlets both marginally tight.
    The F/D has minimal movement.

Bought a (new) Kenda 244 semi knob in 350/18 sizing. I intend to mount this on the front for greater bite in the loose stuff. $10 + $9 shipping on Trademe. If it's any good I'll get some more to stash.

WoF'd.

I'd taken the sidecar off for various maintenance reasons, & decided to see what it handled like as a solo. It rode okay, better than I expected, albeit that the increased rake made it slow in the steering. The loss of trail didn’t seem to make it as unrideable as I’d feared. The steering head bearing are a little tighter because of pressure on the stem, & this resulted in a slow weave if you didn’t keep control of things. But that additional friction helps when it’s coupled to the chair – no head shakes at all.

The suspension was fairly hard though...

SATURDAY 26 DEC:
    Rode up to Cemetery Circuit. Was a slog up SH1, but there didn’t seem to be much traffic (left Wellington at 9.15am). Took the chair, because I could lock up my gear, & walk the circuit in shorts & a teeshirt. Because it was a still, sunny day, I wasn’t battling head winds, & there seemed to be plenty of Hamsters available on the treadmill to overtake the slower traffic.

But the line up at the gates when I arrived nearly made me wave off raceday. I came close to just wandering round the bikes outside, then shooting off to ride backroads.

[​IMG]

But it must just have been the time of day – by the time I’d shed my gear, the queues had disipated somewhat.

There were no more programs available, so I was somewhat blind on the order of the day & who was racing.

I’m definitely stuck in a timewarp. I was most interested in the classic, post classic, & classic sidecar racing classes. Just don’t ask me who won what.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Woops

[​IMG]

The Guzzi dominated the classic sidecars.

[​IMG]

Wandered from Robert Holden corner down into the pits, & then around the circuit. Took bugger all photos. My point & shoot doesn't do high speed well...

There were two other road going sidecars that I saw, & I followed a trike up SH1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took in a bikeshow at the Fire Station. Couldn't say the bikes displayed excited me. But this was outside.

[​IMG]

Saw no more than a handful of people I knew, (with the exception of David & Claire, my youngest brother & his fiancee, who I walked part of the circuit with). Though from Facebook & other reports, I can see that I was close to a few others.

Meandered home via Marton, Halcombe, & Asshurst – mainly because I couldn’t face the Foxton straights. More traffic heading thru Otaki, Waikanae, & Paraparaumu, but no more than a weekday. Home 7.30 / 8.00.
    Te Hopo and innathyzit like this.
  15. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    There just might be another unit on the road soonish "And the trails"
    you have promped me to get mine finished... all most a full frame
    tacked togeather sitting at work...

zaTTaz likes this.
  16. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    I didn't see you there box a bits :dunno
    Although I cleared out about 1:30/2:00. I got sick of baking in the sun, so went for a ride. Currently in Masterton, heading for Ngawi
    zaTTaz likes this.
  17. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Indicator on that side car seems to be in a really weird spot?

Anyway, cheers for the pics. Some nice machines :D
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    That's going on the 660? You need to resurrect your thread...
    Let me know if you are intending to do more tomorrow. I'd be keen to let Gus stretch his legs.
    Despite the rig being shown for sale, I suspect that the outfit had been in a recent smack. There was a little damage on the tank, & the chair was duct taped to hold a few bits in place.
    Yes, the indicator positioning wasn't where I would have placed it, but that might have been to meet visibility rules.
    Looks like quite a bit of money had been spent getting the rig to that stage. I wonder if a prang has put the rider off...Couldn't see the mileage, but at $8k, probably value there. The mounts & frame certainly looked strong. The tub would need a bit of work to tidy.
    Voltaire likes this.
  19. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Just heading to Wellington tomorrow for lunch with the boy, then onto the ferry.
    How long does it take to get from Ngawi to Wellington?
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Google maps suggests 2hrs 11 mins with no traffic. That rings about right with me. But better add some buffer time.