Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.
I thought it'd be a couple of hours, I'll give it 2:15, I don't want to rush
REPLACEMENT BRAKE LINES:
The stock BMW R80 mono (TIC) brake lines are routed as:
A single brake line from the brake master cylinder down to behind the right fork leg:
A steel line from the back of the fork to the right front caliper:
A steel line that loops from the right front caliper to the left front caliper. This runs under the front guard, & when new sits in an indent in the front guard, just in front of the fork brace.
To change tyres, both calipers need to removed & the lines spread. Over time this distorts them. My concern with the loop line has always been the potential for this to be taken out by larger road debris. As it happens, the line has distorted on the tug, & worn. You can see the split in the line in the attached photo. Fortunately this occurred in the garage, when I was changing tyres.
I have replaced all of the lines with new stainless brake lines. They are in the front of the wheel because the guy that made them up was concerned at the routing to get them behind the forks. I’ve made up some brackets to stop the lines from fouling on the gaiters.
The front tyre has been changed from a Mitas H06 350/18 (which I found good) to a Shinko (Golden Boy) SR 244, 350/18. Purchased on Tme for $10, new. Looking for better front end grip in loose stuff. Looks like it'll wear flat, which is good for sidecar stability. I'm staying with the front guard & brace combo for now.
Found over on the Hacks forum. Well worth a watch...
Those WWII bikes are getting up there in price, so there is a fair dollar value being thrashed in this video
So I've started cleaning the sidecar up for my brother wedding.
Painted the rear mudguard. That'd suffered from years of wear under the seat. Once the stickers came off, & I sanded it back, it came up really well with some Duplicolor bumper paint.
Also painted the starter cover & the airbox. The timing chest will need to wait until I've got in gaskets.
The headers had developed some holes from wear & rust. Yesterday I attempted patch weld these using pipe off my old RS (40mm over 38mm pipe). What is it about exhaust welding that causes the weld to break thru into the pipe you are welding just as you finish the last weld? Not proud of the repair, but it's only temporary anyway.
The headers looked a little sooty, but the spark plug says the bike is running right.
The headers needed painting (the chrome was shot years ago). Good job Mandy was dress shopping with Katherine. What funny smell dear? Must be that soup I made you.
And the award for the over use of silicon in the worst possible places goes to...
The head gasket & pushrod seals on the right side had been leaking enough to annoy me, so I have replaced them. There was red silicon everywhere when I pulled the heads & barrels down. I don't recommend the over use of RTV, & certainly not on the pushrod seals. I am concerned that that goop may have gone thru the oil passages.
A light smear on the base of the barrels is fine.
The good news is the barrels looked nice. The valves aren't recessed (but I didn't pull the valves to look at guide clearances). The pushrod tubes look to be good stainless ones under all the goop. The cam followers surfaces looked good. But a peer down at the cam showed faces that looked like they may be a little pitted.
I haven't done the left side. Not leaking as much, & I need new barrel & stud o'rings, & another head gasket.
The exhaust has been a pain to seal up, in part because of where I've put the patch. We'll see how that goes. I have gooped the left header / collector box joint with hi-temp RTV to help that seal.
Worried she may be looking over your shoulder???
Nice oven BTW
Don't get caught with engine parts in the dish-washer.
That doesn't end well..........
or using the oven to heat up cases so the bearings can come out easier.
or using the measuring bowl to pour out 200ml of 2 stroke.
that doesnt end well either.
Or buying another bike with out asking first....
That's still not going well
Doing that to a poor old WW2 bike is a bit harsh, I thought that's what Urals, Cossacks and Dneprs were for.
We've got the same oven. New bottom element turned up last week, which I ordered in NOVEMBER!!!
The bottom element in my oven failed 5-6 years ago. Did you know you can still cook a roast on grill?
We're doing most of our roasts on the BBQ anyway. All it needs is a still-ish day. The gas seems to keep it moister.
So did it go out for a frame straighten, or has that been re-prioritized...
Doing an oil change with the roasting dish doesn't do a fledging relationship much good either (tried that in the early years). I did try to explain that it'd be all good after a thorough wash.
So you had some left over after the last pushrod tube repair?...?
Should be going up for frame straightening this week. I got a front wheel from UK so the build has started...
Yup, scraped it off the pushrod seals, barrel & engine case & reassigned it. Recycling at it's best.
A couple of photos from my bro's wedding over the weekend...
they both look resigned to their fate....
Took a bridesmaid for a spin in the chair, down a hill to a paddocked area where they were to take more photos. Took the opportunity to do a few donuts & fly the chair with her in it. I noticed she wasn't keen to have another go when it was time to go back up the hill...Not sure why .
There were a few off these there, wanting to eat the bridal bouquets, which provided additional entertainment.