1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Please advise on good roads between chicago and missouri

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by leavundst, Oct 12, 2004.

1. leavundst

leavundst Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I found this really cool looking dual sport bike on ebay (MZ Bighira Black Panther) in Missouri. Cool looking bike and seems like a KLR on drugs and with a skin lift and a tummy tuck but that’s not the point. I figure that there might be some really nice roads to enjoy in that area. I'm brining a truck and trailer from Chicago and towing friends KLR down there so that we can do some riding and then head home. Can anyone recommend any good roads either in the vicinity of Missouri or anywhere between Missouri and Chicago. I'm hoping for a gem like deals gap but there was nothing that I could find on my own. Any info is greatly appreciated and I will have the entire weekend to kill.
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Be a little more specific. Missouri is a pretty big place.
  3. sstodvictory

sstodvictory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sounds like your motorcyle riding will be from Missouri to Chicago, and on the way down you'll drive? I'll give directions for Chicago to MO, since I can describe that direction better. Its tough to find many fun/scenic roads on this trip. The route I'm proposing is paved, but its better than the all-freeway route which is fastest. Its about the most scenic I can come up with. The first part from Chicago is freeway.

I80 West from Chicago, to a point about 19 miles West of I39 then take I180 South. In about 10 miles cross over to the East side of the IL River at Hennepin and ride Hwy 26 South to East Peoria (nice ride). Cross over to the West side of the river on I74 at Peoria and pick up Hwy 24 South. Follow 24 South along the West bank. It'll join with Hwy 78, then when 78 splits off to the left, follow 78 South to U.S. Hwy 136, across from Havanah. Go West on 136 a short distance to Hwy 100, then follow that South (left). By doing this you're just continuing along the West bank of the IL river. Hwy 100 will join with Hwy 67 near Beardstown. Follow 100/67 accross the river, then South again on the East bank. When 67 splits off to the East, bear South on 100. Pass under I72 to Hwy 106, then follow that West through Pittsfield. West of Pittsfield about 4 miles, stay left and follow Hwy 54 toward the Mississippi river. At the bottom of a descent there's a stop sign at Hwy 96. Go South (left) here. At this point you pick up a trip report I wrote.

http://www.xrdualsport.com/trip_reports/ferry.html

Follow 96 South, along East side of the MIssissippi valley. When 96 turns East, go straight (South). From this point you're on very small roads and it gets scenic. Always bear South from here on in. Your destination is the Golden Eage Ferry. You'll be passing turnoff's to other ferrys and you'll go through Batchtown, Beachville and Brussels. Just a ways past Brussels bear right (South - get the theme?) at a corner that has a brown store, tourist trap, whatever. I can't direct you from here, but I think the main turns are left, right, left, with a stop sign at the last one. Just bear South and if you see a sign indicating the Golden Eagle Ferry, follow it. Kinders pub is at the ferry landing and its a good place to eat.

The ferry will dump you in MO at point NW of St. Charles on a road leading to county rd B. The most direct way to reach I70 from there is right (West) on B, then South on C to I70.

I don't think you can do better than this overall, if you're willing to give it the time. If you want to get lost on gravel roads you can choose one off Hwy 54 West of Pittsfield. Just keep going South whenever you can, and if you can't then go West and pick up 96.

Steve
  4. leavundst

Oddometer:
    That second part sounds great, I think we will just do a loop and do that. What we are going to do is Saturday morning pick up this new bike in South-West Missouri, park the car and trailer somewhere and head out riding for the rest of the day Saturday and some time sunday. Then head back to Missouri, grab the truck and head back home to chicago. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Can't wait to play in some sort of dirt a little. Never had a bike capable of doing anything remotely offroad.
  5. leavundst

Oddometer:
    I believe it's south west missouri. But the more miles, the better.