1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Please give input for a new Adv bike specific Garmin

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Irish John, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Irish John

Irish John Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lawrence, KS but I'd rather be in Ireland
    My niece's husband works for Garmin. Over Christmas dinner we got talking about electronic aftermarket equipment for the Adv community. I shared some ideas with him and said I'd ask you for input too.

So...here's your chance, what kind of new Adv specific product would you like to see? Or what mods to existing Garmin products you use for Adv riding old you like?
  2. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I love my Zumo 660 except for one thing. When I exceed the speed limit by even 1mph the easy to read white on grey speed changes to low contrast red on grey which is impossible to see in daylight. That one feature absolutely sucks!
  3. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Noted and I'll pass it on. I suggested offering bike specific plug 'n play power hook ups.

What else guys?
  4. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suggest they incorporate a digital roll chart screen or side-by-side screen for off-road routes.
  5. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Give me some specifics here. Sort of like a dual route programmable gps?
  6. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to be able to click "show all tracks" or some such thing on my Montana instead of having to do a 2 or 3 step deal on each track for it to show.
  7. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All Garmin product are pretty good...except BASECAMP. Not very intuitive and hard to use. Have him have Garmin produce something basic and easy to use.
  8. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  9. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    2 off the top of my head:

1. A control for the GPS that could be mounted on the handle bars (close by your hands) so that you could do basic control of the GPS with out removing your hands from the bars. I'm thinking a re-worked VIRB control to allow zoom in and out of the map (ple a few others).

2. Remove (or make user programmable) the point at which the GPS removes detail from the map. At 800 metres (or 500m not sure), I lose all the minor tracks from my Zumo 590. Australia is a f**king big place and I often ride where there are only minor tracks shown on the GPS. You zoom out to try and get some context, and suddenly you see NOTHING.

3. Make most features user programmable (that are currently hard-wired in the firmware). The speed warning (as already mentioned) and others. Even if you have to use a separate app to do this.
  10. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    What about a better interface with Google earth much rather see sattlelite imagery than a topo map. My current garmin allows Google earh imagery but resolution is not that great
  11. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, finally a real person to suggest improvements to a gps specifically targeted to bike riders.... sweet!!

Garmin has a Bluetooth feature that pairs up with cell phones nicely, but I'd much rather hear Garmin's voice guidance commands in my headset (or as well?) Whether this be via Bluetooth or by a mini rca plug that one could plug into on the gps. It's really hard to see the screen on most gps units, with the sun over your shoulder. A lot of us use simple Nuvi units for travel due to the cost of a motorcycle specific gps, I.E. Zumo, so this feature could be incorporated into most units very easily, and with very little additional cost to both Garmin and the consumer. More time with eyes on the road and less squinting at the gps....

Lets see if this idea gets some traction !!!!
  12. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have a color deficiency that includes red, so when it turns red (frequently) it's impossible for me to see current speed. It would be nice to disable this feature in the menu settings. This would be a great feature in ALL gps units, as being a Canadian and our system involves the metric system, my vehicle does not have the ability to convert the speedometer to MPH. I rely on the gps to indicate speed.
    Fact: 12 to 15% of all North Americans have a color deficiency problem....
  13. reg26

reg26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. When you look around the net and see what there is available to plan trips and how easy others make it, there is no reason the Garmin giant cant make something more user friendly.
  14. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Do you have some links? Reason I'm asking is I find Basecamp remarkably easy to use. If there's something even easier I'd love to check it out.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    ask them to buy the "earl" project, build the device, AND sell GOA on the android market.

i don't think there is a rake big enough to pull in the mounds of cash from that decision.
  16. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    This entire thread needs a thread index and a flow chart. There are literally thousands of posts that can answer this and similar questions. After the new year I MIGHT try to pull together repeatable or duplicated threads and post up a thread index if 9Dave is ok with that?
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using a Montana for a few years. The biggest annoyance I have is that the hot zone around the zoom in and out and return icons is too small. I end up creating a waypoint over half the time I hit one of these when wearing gloves.

And it happens a lot when I am not wearing gloves and am sure I pressed right on the icon.

If anyone actually wants to make a waypoint near an icon, they can scroll away from the icon.

I use Mapsource for most serious trip planning track creation. On the one hand it might be nice if it were still supported, but on the other hand I have no problems with it. So maybe it is best just left alone.

I only use Basecamp to play with custom maps and to communicate with the Montana and occasionally to look at lots of trips simultaneously.
  18. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm forwarding these on for his review. Keep them coming!
  19. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    Garmin 590LM:

radar display needs to be as good as the XM Radar display on the Garmin GPSMap 478 that I currently use. That alone is making me hold on a 590 purchase. What I would really like to see is a replacement for the 478 series with a larger screen and a huge amount of memory capability for maps, preferably high capacity SD cards, along with XM/Sirius Weather service. The 478 has always been a better road guidance system than the Street Pilots or any of the motorcycle or car-specific systems.

I much prefer map display options like the 478 has instead of the semi-3D isometric view displays. I would also prefer the option to turn off the motorcycle icon and simply have the triangle indicator on the roadway as position indicator.
  20. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer: