1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Please give input for a new Adv bike specific Garmin

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Irish John, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a Really big one on all new generation Garmin units 60/78/Montana. I download a gpx file with 50 tracks when I go scouting.

Other big one is in the Track Manager to be able to toggle the order between current Closest first top Alpha/Numeric like last generation units.
  2. reg26

reg26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres one to start. I have to find another one I saw on this site where you put in the things you want to see and type of roads you want to travel on and it gave you suggested routes that you could download directly or modify to your liking

http://map.project-osrm.org/
  3. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Plus 100000000000000 X 10 The current detail/zoom level limitations are ridiculous.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pretty much agree. This can be pretty annoying at times. But sometimes I use Basecamp for trip planning because it shows minor roads at greater zoom levels than Mapsource. But in reality I find it isn't all that useful because of the clutter.

Often times when riding I toggle my Montana between .8 and 1.2 mile zoom levels because that is where minor roads go away for City Navigator. I have found this to be a desirable feature sometimes since there is no way I can read the zoom level on the screen while riding.
  5. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Where I live there are, primarily, only minor roads according to Garmin, and they disappear at .8 miles on my 590. Where this is really annoying is when trying to dodge thunder storms or ugly weather. The weather map will only show down to a 20 km scale at which there are no roads showing on the 590 in most of rural Canada. Makes on the fly route planning impossible.
  6. jfink

jfink Can't get there from here

Oddometer:
    This may be a bit esoteric for most, but here goes! Re-organize Garmin. If it isn't clear to anyone else, Garmin has a myriad of organizations responsible for different products. The "water" GPS's, the "land" GPS's, the mapping programs (Mapsource now Basecamp), the interfaces systems (Garmin Express, Map Uploader), the web development, the database development ... holy cow.

And then overarching all this is their security system which has to be SOOO DAMN complicated that it's a wonder anything works together. And the organizations seem to be somewhat autonomous, in that each product seems to develop it's own characteristics of what works and doesn't work. The Montana, doesn't work like the Zumo, which doesn't work like the GPSMaps, etc. and then there are all the changes that begat changes and ends in confusion.

It's also clear to me, the marketing and product development people rule their own domain. It seems the marketing strategy is to obsolete any device after two to three years. Bring out a completely redesigned and re-engineered product that will be eliminated in another two to three years. Without consideration for what works and what doesn't for the consumer. There are little R&D gnomes in there somewhere right now designing the "next" device who probably haven't ever used a 376c, a Zumo or a Montana. These little gnomes have some entirely new ideas to make life even better that will completely change the interface or the operation from anything we ever knew.

If there is anything Garmin has gotten right, it's the ability after a period of holding to actually talk with level three support engineers. The guys that know what happening. There has got to be only two or three of these guys in Garmin which explains why it takes so long. But after screening through Level one (answer the technical phone calls), level two (supervisors or the senior support people) you can actually talk to someone who knows their crap and can get things done. But not always ...

All this creates no end of hassle and frustration for end users.

So, having been in organizational design for a while, there is a better organizational model than the one apparently allowed to "just happen" at Garmin. A streamline approach for all marketing, product development and support for Garmin will provide a much less ambiguous experience for the end user. Sort of a "one throat to choke" role and not in name only. Many times Quality Assurance is given to someone who has no authority, who becomes only a face to yell at. For this to work, the Quality people have to be the ones calling the shots.

I would be happy if someone even read all this at Garmin, it could be great company but they have got to get some things fixed!
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cut the price in half. $800 for a GPS when car units are $150 is ridiculous. It can't cost $ 600 for a water proof case.
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    You're more than welcome to start a thread with an index.
    :thumb

Hopefully, someone from Garmin reads forums like this as it develops unit. doG knows we have given enough feedback over the years in threads here.
  9. reg26

reg26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha. Ever see the price on an aviation GPS? And they dont even have street names up there. They must make a fortune on that stuff
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    do you guys use charts?
  11. DJ.

DJ. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Large screen 7 inch, impact resistance and waterproof all in one unit. They have this is multiple units and you can buy an aftermarket case. But they have yet to put it into one unit.
  12. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    Bring back the 276C !
  13. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    Yep.. update the GPSMap 478 series machines with faster processors more internal memory, non-proprietary memory cards, optional battery capabilities.

Better yet, change the Map download options to any state a subscriber wants, instead of doing North US plus Canada, Southern US and Mexico, East or West US. Kind of silly, subjective divisions to deal with. in doing a map update to my 478. At least the Updates worked this time, though without the northern half of the country. Don't need Canada or Mexico. Would rather have CONUS only. AK and HI can be add-ons when there.
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    It was mentioned earlier, but I feel the need to repeat it: BASECAMP SUCKS! In this day and age, one would think that there could be a more user-friendly, yet capable program to replace Basecamp... (and there are, just not provided by Garmin). When I need to download a route I find myself using my smartphone more often than my Garmin because Basecamp is such a pita! I'd tell Garmin that "the writing is on the wall" that smartphones will take away much of their business due to ease of use (much related to Basecamp's "unfriendly" structure).
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your 'Adv Requirements' efforts. I, and others, have been giving Garmin Mgmt & Development requirements for over a decade and the closest we have gotten was the Montana but they left out many of the features we asked for.

Having said the above, I really don't need much more from Garmin then what is provided in the BMW Navigator V. Unless of course Garmin wants to put that software into iOS & Android Apps.

By the way, you do need to download and install Garmin Express. This is the software that keeps your zumo's Maps and software up to date.
  16. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I use a Montana. I wish there was a way to show black roads on a white background. There is no need for background shading.