Please help! GPS wiring!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jared1843, Jun 27, 2010.

1. jared1843

jared1843 Drifter

Oddometer:
    So I installed the Ram mount on my 990 today which fits my Zumo 660. I was hoping my powerlet to mini-usb adapter would power it through the harness but it appears i was wrong. It looks like i have to splice in the power and ground leads from the harness to actually power the GPS. My problem is I have no idea where best to wire this. Can someone please tell/show me in pictures??

I tried searchin the forum, but the search feature is less than accurate with results and i was unable to find anything remotely close to what i'm looking for.

please help! Leaving for a trip in a few days and need to power this thing!

J
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installing 12v power to acc1 or acc2 postion
    <hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I am installing a 12 volt accessory plug to run my gps. The owners manual states: "The acc1 and acc2 fuses are not allocated to specific current consumers in the condition at delivery. They are designed for accessory equipment with a maximum current consumption of 5 amperes each. The respective connectors for this equipment are provided under the headlight cover."

Acc.1 + Acc. 2 wiring
    <hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Not sure who posted this before but I copied it to my personal list of stuff to do on my 950 (probably will get to it one night this week)

ACC1 is unswitched, ACC2 is switched. Red is pos, brown is neg. The wires are tucked on the right side next to/under the headlight
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
    Derek

Sorry for the cut and paste response, tired from doing a 350 mile ride yesterday! :evil
  3. jared1843

jared1843 Drifter

Oddometer:
    ok so it seems i can use either the acc1 or 2 to power my gps... I found acc1 labeled wire running to the button for emergency lights. Getting behind the headlight seems to be what i need to do, but i've already broken one of the clear clips on the headlight fidgeting with it and am so mad i'm shaking at this point.... gotta calm down.

I really need pictures and cant' find any to see where i need to go and what i need to do.

On a side note... i found this plug not going to anything... what is it??

[​IMG]
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure that's the plug for the remote switch to operate the trip computer.

If the ACC plugs are like the ones on the 950 they are 2 pairs of female bullet connectors and are labeled ACC1 and ACC2.

On the 950 you remove the right side fairing and they are ziptied right behind the headlight.
  5. jared1843

jared1843 Drifter

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of the connectors to the powerlet outlet... Should i use these to connect the gps? How would you do it?

At this time i'm not using the powerlet for anything and have no real plan to in the future.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]
  6. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you could solder spade connectors to the bare wires and then slide those into the connectors shown in your picture? On my bike, I just attached the bare wires to rhe KTM accessory plug that then fits into the dashboard outlet. Of course, this is not as neat as wiring it in under the headlight cover.
  7. jared1843

jared1843 Drifter

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and soldered two male connectors to the powerlet connectors seen below. I couldn't find the supposed "zip tied" acc 1 & 2 connectors anywhere...

Finished product for now...

[​IMG]

8. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You found ACC 1, (990's use it for a powerlet) the only problem is, it is hot all the time. Just remember to shut the GPS off.

ACC 2 is in there also. I have a 950A , so can't help you with the removal of the plastics.
  9. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you use the switched power ACC2 (I think) your gps will turn on when you turn on the bike, when you shut it off it will ask you to stay on, or turn off in 30 seconds. It's very nice to be able to run it that way, no worrying about running the battery out, and no need to flip one more switch, just key on and go...
  10. Rider-Man

Rider-Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. jared1843

jared1843 Drifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rider-Man, unfortunately I just couldn't find those leads to connect to. Maybe i'll dig back into it again someday.

12. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    It would be easier if you took the headlight off. I think on the newer bikes, the Acc2 is on the other side, buried in the wiring harness behind the headlight.
  13. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    If it helps my 2009 the leads were behind the headlight. They were close to where the back of the 12V plug is located. Basically opposite side of where Rider-man's were located.
  14. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep. My friend just got a 990R and we (meaning I) installed a gps mount among many, many other farkles. The '10 bike is fairly close to my '04 bike.
  15. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Just wiring up a Montana GPS. Will use ac2 as mentioned here. See the pic here. What is that little black box with a little black pipe hanging down? Near the third finger in pic.
  16. LoneRhino

LoneRhino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info Thanks! I found the acc2 wire between the dash and the aluminum plate under the dash. Red wire with blk stripe and a brown wire. It's pretty well hidden. Works with key, excellent!
  17. jfink

jfink Can't get there from here

Oddometer:
    One of the built in Air Pressure Monitors
  18. howardbell

howardbell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I am mounting up the Montana ruggged mount, found acc2 (red, and red/black), but why all the wires from the mount side? Seriously, there is the red, the black and a blue, yellow and green... do I just soldier the red to the red, red/black to black, and just tape off the blue, yellow and green?

thanks for your help
  19. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to know what colors are hot and cold for Acc 2. I have a 2012 990 R. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  20. Brown Town

Brown Town Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installing a Montana on my 990 and have the same question. How do you connect Garmin's five wires to the two wires of one of the 990's provided accessory tails?