Please Ride My Bike From California to Toronto

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Malaleche, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am riding Baja, Mexico this October, 2019 on my KLR650.

I don't have time to ride my bike back to Toronto. If you want to ride my bike from San Diego to Toronto, I'll pay the gas. All you gotta do is show up in San Diego October 19 to grab the bike.

Cheers!
    DualSport855 and cmattina like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Temping but that is getting a little late in the year to make the push up north. Is the bike wired for heated gear?
    Bitingdog, 2WheelNeal and Bultaco206 like this.
  3. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indeed it is a bit late. Might be chilly for the Northern sections. It is not wired for heated gear. That would be an easy fix though. If you are interested, let me know.
  4. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will you fly me to Chitcago after delivery?
    Bultaco206 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  5. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello OU812. I would be willing to pitch in $200 CDN for the flight to Chicago. (the flights are around $250 CDN right now.). Thoughts?
    cmattina likes this.
  6. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not good enough. I'll need to eat riding the Mighty KLR all the way to Canookistan.
    Tks for the reply though!;)
    Bultaco206 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    geeeee, y'all make it sound so simple and inexpensive, but in fact, there's nothing simple and inexpensive for the rider considering this undertaking.

you're better off shipping the bike. if you think it's too expensive shipping directly to Toronto, ship it to a border location, then go pick it up from there.
  8. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it is a fair deal for the right the person. It IS a touch late because the rockies will have have snow, but Utah will be cool, as well as arizona and new mexico.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    This falls into the category of "every time I borrow something it breaks". :lol3
    filterx, Sonny S. and OU812 like this.
  10. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    What could possibly go wrong?
    Bike titled to someone out of country... Officer, really! I'm riding this for a guy I met on the interwebs. It's not stolen!
    Riding an unfamiliar bike...
    Crossing US in the fall with unreliable weather conditions...
    On most likely well worn tires...

Not to mention expenses... yeah, I'm going to tent camp all the way... NOT

@Malaleche I don't think you thought this out every well!
    Ship the damn thing or allot more of YOUR time!
    gpfan, 250senuf, OU812 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    If it is not reported stolen, the police can’t do anything. It might raise an eyebrow.

I’d want to put on new tires, oil and filters. Then I would be taking a southern route, to make sure I got better weather, that would probably triple the milage of the trip.

It sounds like a fun adventure.
    enduro0125, eddie bolted and OU812 like this.
  12. Amphib

Oddometer:
    The only way I would consider this is either fly me to the pick up point, or home from drop off, $50 per diem, and send me a prepaid visa or credit card for gas and the ability to take care of any breakdown along the way.
    OU812 likes this.
  13. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve done this for various reasons for multiple people, none of which I’d met before (including one I’ve still never met), and that aspect of it has never been a problem (though I’ve never had to interact with law enforcement or cross an international border - maybe if you find someone you could meet them in buffalo, NY).

For this particular offer the only rider that makes sense is someone who wants to do the trip anyway and doesn’t have a bike of their own they’d rather ride. Since it’s 3000 mile trip (if you stick to a southern route - which seems advisable if you want a pleasant ride that time of year for as much of the trip as possible) obviously the OP can’t pay the rider and still save money vs shipping....and there are a host of other reasons it would be more practical to ship, but hey - why not put the offer out there? If it seems crazy to you, don’t offer to ride it ;)
    hgwilliam, cmattina, OU812 and 2 others like this.
  14. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I had the time off work, I'd do it. I was thinking of shipping my bike to the West coast and shipping it back just so I could ride out there with my limited time off. I'd still have all the same expenses, but save on shipping my bike. So, might be right for someone.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I did a similar ride a couple years ago and it ended up being a lot more than 3000, I would have to play with some mapping, and plan a good route for a 650, but it would involve avoiding as much 4 lane as possible. I am guessing it would end up being 10k or so. I would want some knobbies on the bike and they may need to be changed part way across.
    OU812 likes this.
  16. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Part of the issue is reputation. The op has 11 posts. If I was doing this for you on one of your bikes, I'd feel differently. My main concern would be the reliability of the bike. If you said the bike was good to go, I'd believe you.

Edit, I'm an idiot... Just noticed 2019
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the KLR has been made for a long time, reliability of the bike is a concern. A discussion about bike repairs would have to be had. I don’t think I would be able to say any of my bikes are good to go for a trouble free cross country ride. Bearings fail. Forks spring leaks. Tires become damaged.

A self storage locker can be rented till next summer for less than fuel to go across the country.
    Maggot12, Bultaco206 and Amphib like this.
  18. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you’d be the perfect rider for the OP - you could pick up the bike this fall and have it to Toronto just in time for the riding season...that’s like May or June, right? ;)

The last two times I did this were for someone with only a handful of posts and someone else who found me through a friend on adv (so this guy, to me, was just a random phone call). First guy had an essentially new (1400 miles on the clock) BMW and the other one was an 11 year old KLR with...I don’t remember how many miles. It did have new tires and fresh fluids. Both bikes made it where they had to go, though the KLR did have a few problems along the way (each of those trips were about 1400 miles).

I still talk to the BMW guy regularly but I have not heard from the KLR guy since.
    OU812, Amphib and Yinzer Moto like this.
  19. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    So many questions.

What part of October? I've been in Toronto for work reasons often, big difference between early and late October.

What luggage do you have on the bike? I can fly with gear and helmet, even camping gear for a southern route. But bringing my soft bags flying now that is a handful.

And most importantly, what have you done with the seat? I have a 08 with 65K, I dished the seat out and inserted a gel pad, awesome for 700 mile days.

GPS?

More questions needed to consider, eg I have business in Toronto Oct 28 - 30.

Good luck
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can answer one of those questions:
    He said pickup in San Diego is 10/19... sounds like you’re all set!
    Fishenough, Amphib and Yinzer Moto like this.