Please Ride My Bike From California to Toronto

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Malaleche, Sep 9, 2019.

1. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This, and other posts, are interesting considering this is the ADVENTURE riders forum.:jack
    squonker, enduro0125, nk14zp and 5 others like this.
  2. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Thanks for all of your input.

I have soft bags on the bike, a tank bag, a dry bag, and an air cushion for the seat.

It doesn't really matter to me when the bike gets back to Toronto. I'd like for someone to have fun riding it on the way back. One issue is that we'd have to meet in San Diego on the 18th (not the 19th, that's the day of my flight back), and the cold, of course.

The bike is in good condition. New tires, fluids, brake pads. It has been meticulously maintained. There are obviously lots of issues to sort out, so if anyone is interested, please let me know. We can draft up a contract and get to know each other over the phone etc. I don't think this is an unrealistic ask for someone with some time on their hands and a thirst for adventure.

Happy trails!

David
    Rippin209, Maggot12 and knight like this.
  3. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would the rider be bringing your gear back as well? Would there be room left for the rider's gear?
  4. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Peter,

There would be room for the rider's gear.

I would leave my saddle bags, tank bag, dry bag, and the locking pelican case on the bike for the rider. I will empty them and bring my stuff home in a duffel bag. The rider really just needs to bring his helmet, riding gear, and clothes. There will be room in the bags.

The only thing left in the bags would be tools. I have tool kits with everything the KLR needs. New tubes, tire levers, extra oil, tools that fit onto every bolt and screw, a lock, etc.

Cheers
    Maggot12 and B10Dave like this.
  5. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    ^This, though from some of the posts responding to the OP I'm wondering.
    enduro0125 and OU812 like this.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Some posts were of reason why not to do it. I'm more of the feeling of how I could make this work.

I have no reason to involve myself, but I even thought it would be a cool trek to fly from Halifax and rideit it back here. Then figure out how we get it to TO.
    But I don't have the time... ( fun retirement gig)

Cheapest for the OP would be to leave it there for the winter and go back next yr to get it.

Yinzer Moto and cmattina like this.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i made a 4700 mile moto delivery with multiple border crossings, and it's simply not a casual undertaking.
    the delivery was successful, had a good trip, but i wouldn't consider doing it again.

adventure ride? i'll submit that your focus is at least partly on the delivery each and every minute that you're on that moto, it ain't the same freedom you enjoy riding your own bike. upside piggybacks the dream, downside factors in reality.
    OU812 likes this.
  8. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Basically LAX to YYZ on a KLR. This could be an absolute hoot! I’m CDN so borders not an issue. BUF can get snow in late OCT but I’d head south, and look for a weather window for the dash (can you dash on a KLR?) north.
  9. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Crossing multiple borders and I could see your point. Crossing from US to CA won't be a big deal. All the fine details need to be agreed up and sorted up front but that isn't a big deal. Working the what if scenarios like if the bike is stolen, impounded, breaks down or you get sick or have to return home before the trip is down, family emergency etc. What mileage is covered and what is the end date that the bike must be in TO (may have missed that if it was already stated.). Other than that its a free ride and chance to have a bit of an adventure. I would not be thinking about the delivery only about my own time line and how quickly I need to be back.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i crossed US/CA and CA/US twice each on that delivery. the second you hand over your passport, customs knows that the bike you're sitting on does not belong to you, surrender all the paperwork and start talking, you'll be there for awhile. dream up any unfortunate scenario you may encounter on a long range trip, then add the major complication that you do not own the moto you happen to be riding.

having done a delivery, i may have a little different perspective on the subject than others.

funny, but i bet i by-passed a thousand interesting roads that i could have ventured down on my own bikes following a different route with the same destination, couldn't take a chance with the delivery bike.
  11. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden someone else's bike across a border, but I have done multiple border crossings in snowbird's cars and never had an issue at the border at all.
    I had letters from the owners explaining why I was driving the car, and a list of contents if the vehicle contained any of their personal items, and I was never even asked to pull over to secondary. I did have to go to a brokerage for a car that was being exported to the US, but that was a different situation.

One car I drove across on more than one occasion (to Fort Myers in October, from Fort Myers in May) was a fancy Mercedes SL500... no issues what-so-ever.

If I had time off in October, I'd attempt this ride. Sadly my vacation time for this year is done.
  12. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious. If the main concern was delivering the bike, why crisscross the border? Especially after experiencing difficulty in doing so. What route did you take that required 4 border crossings (if I understand your post correctly)?
    cmattina likes this.
  13. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Then I guess this isn't for you. Others like to roll the dice and see what happens. If everything is legit and you have the documents talking to border agents is just part of the adventure. I'm sure with companies doing nothing but deliveries its all in the realm of the possible and with your one experience under your belt you could probably think of things you'd do differently or points you'd discuss with the bike owner. I don't look at this as a delivery, that implies more of a business proposition vs some acquaintances sharing some adventure space.
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  14. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is odd... I've never crisscrossed a border on any trip in north america.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    delivered a bike to Anchorage via Canada, crossing the US/Canada border four times on my route.

none of the crossing were routine, but the worst were the initial crossing into Canada, then a crossing back into the US. those customs dudes lacked a sense of humor.
    cmattina likes this.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    nope, not for me. anyone else wants to roll the dice, have at it.
    OU812 likes this.
  17. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So.
    Who's in?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are, ride to @CDN Rick house, leave bike there, fly to California, ride the bike back, then hop on your bike and ride it home.
    CDN Rick likes this.
  19. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I can, and would, provide cold beer if this endeavour were to come to fruition.... One night on a half worn single mattress left over from a male college renter in a spare room may be available as well....
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  20. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    They always do. I don't mind the cool reception but their dickishness really speaks to a lack of professionalism and training. In the end I've never had much of an issue crossing borders, even in a situation that saw me cross 3x in 36 hours, twice on a bike and once with my truck and trailer and two smashed bikes that didn't belong to me.
    gpfan likes this.