please show how you attache "Pelican" bags to you bike

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    they look awesome on the bike..

two question,,
    what size are they...
    why did you install them downwards as oppose to a flatter configuration so you can place items on top..

just questions..
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    can you see how the bottom part of the bag(four bolt area) is being deform by the mounting sistem..:huh

[​IMG]

azabeemerboy did you experience any problems related to this like cracks or similar issues..:huh

thanks for posting the fotos.
  3. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ricky:

I installed these a few years ago on my old bike, I believe they were 1550's. I mounted them by the lid on the recommendations in another thread on this site. When you mount them "bottom" to the bike everything falls out when you open the box. Lid to the bike and you lower it without losing your gear.
    It works and the lids are just as rigid and sound as the base and makes a good table when you camp. :thumb
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

Oh man my Ingles,,,S^^ks
    I was taking about the way they are tilt downwards,,on a horizontal angle,,

I do agree mounting them from the lid side provide a less messy set up, basically to me is no question the pelicans are no motorcycle specific, but looking at the quality of construction I wish they were since they(comercial camara cases) are pretty much the best product that you can buy..

Now who have the money to make a production run of them design with motorcycles in mind...:huh
  5. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Hey Ricardo,

I am debating ... mounting by the lid, or by the bottom. It seems that mounting by the lid will put a lot more strain on the mounts when open. It seems there may be a lot of leverage when packing and shoving gear. If its mounted by the bottom, all that leverage goes away because the mounts and the load are in the same place.

I would prefer to mount it by the lids like azabeemerboy, but have not decided.
  6. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    BAD PICTURE!!! Sorry to yell, but the cases show no signs of crack or stress, just my lack of photo skills. The recommendation to mount lid first came from a professional (who's name escapes me) mfr. who uses pelicans. Should be able to locate the info in the archives.
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

I'm right there with you..

i agree Azabeemerboy way is far more practical in terms of loading the bags specially when you reopen them after a long ride,,but also remenber you can make some kind of "Contaiment field" made of mesh or something and that way avoid Unwanted spills

I short i think ataching for the lid is more pracmatic but attaching from the main frame provide a far stronger and long lasting arrangement..but then again i'm just especulating on this issue since i refuse to drill holes on them no matter what..

anyway here is a little great idea from Jim that will decrease the stress on the bags pivot point at least a little..
    [​IMG]
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

Not Again,,,
    if you take a really close look to the rear most four bolt mount you will see how the surface of the lid is being deform by the tension,,just look at the change in color grade,,much darker next to the bolts,emply a concave shape,,maybe because i'm being drawing for 30 years but i;m use to see this kind of details...

please remenber what in anyway I'm trying to offend you or anything like that, I'm just asking a pertinent question...

my self,,, I will use a "Reinforment plate" to decrease the focal points and spread the load in a far wide area..preventing in the long term any fatigue or probable failure
  9. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
  10. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:

Makes sense to instal a plate for extra protection, :thumb I know you are the design and engineering guru and I certainly respect your observation, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and decide to see what might happen, :rofl I did some research -- but take my word for it their were no stress marks cracks or warpage. The nature of pelican cases, molded, is a slight color inconsistancy Slight (dark and light) which you may read in the pic. :nod Regardless thanks for bringing back this thread---I now have some new idea's for my XM and iq3600 :nod

How about those 12GS Ricky Bars, are you gonna re-group?
  11. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arch, congratulations, this is really a nice set up. :nod
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    A few years back I spend many hours exploring the way to figure out a "Modular" Bicycle carring sistem, oviuslly i did not want to compromise the load carring capacity of the bike so I explore the use of a "Hanging" bag sistem,,

come to think of it, i never really draw the bags, but believe me there were taking into consideration,,and soppose to be ther on that big space under the "Boom Tube"
    [​IMG]

here are the possible parts,,the funky shapes are the fork holders and the downtube mount.
    [​IMG]

you see that extruded shape at the bottom?? well that is the part that will be attache to the bag and slide in and out form the back of the rack(ejecting the bags in case of a fall)
    [​IMG]

if you fell like it just for kicks and giggles HERE you can find a bunch of preliminary concept drawings,,many of them are kind of random much of them a evolution of a concept..basicallt a brainstorm of ideas try to figure out something almost impossible..

a bike rack for every freaking bike in the market..
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

not to offend one of the very best members of this site,,

but looks like the Locking mecanisum for the bags relay on the super weak rear seat lock mecanisum,,please correct me if i'm wrong..

exept for that detail I believe this is a exelent example of design integration and I contratulate mister arch or who ever build it for it :ricky
  14. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:

:nod :nod :nod :nod :nod Cool!!!!

Didn't say anything about kicks and giggles, or mean any disrespect. Just saying that when I stand and look at something in my hand, I think I have a better perspective than a second rate pic??? Relax Ricky :nod
  15. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    O.K. here are some of my thoughts on mounting my Pelicans to my KTM ADV. First off, I am going to have to drill. I see no way around this barring adding trays to my mounts, which would add too much weight.

I am going to hang 100% of the downward force from the top mount. It will be a machined piece of Delrin bar stock. Basically I will make a beefy piece of Delrin angle. The mount will be held on by 3 bolts.

On either side there will be a small Delrin block to stop front to back motion.

For the bottom mount, it will be the same Delrin angle as the top. It will only have 2 bolts that will tighten via a threaded wheel (like the touratech knobs)

I think the TT mounts are a good design. In the interest of ease of removal, they have the bottom mount solid and the top is the tightener. With the mount on the bottom they "hinge" there bag into position. The lower mount in my design will need to be removed for installation. I picture the bag to move straight into the bike, then slide down, hanging on the top mount. this will be a slower method than the TT, but I think it will be stronger.

On the inside of the bag, I will span the bolts with aluminum or Delrin flat stock to spread the load.

As a breakaway concept, I am thinking of testing combinations of nylon and steel nuts and bolts. Maybe a nylon bolt with a steel nut will give good strength, but let go if it needs to. The hard part of this would obviously be the practical testing (seeing your pelican sliding down the freeway.. HA)

As a Pennytech idea for the bottom(maybe top) I though of using PVC and threaded J hooks. Remove part of the PVC and click it over your rack. then use J hooks to secure. I don't think this would be as strong as the Delrin. I also don't think it would transfer the weight as well either. But it would cost $10 and take 20 minutes to make. You could still use nylon nuts for breakaway.

Here are some real rough drawings:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    no,by any means I was emplying that you did not know what you were doing,,hell i know a few guys far more proficient in design and engeniers that populate this place but most of them have far better sense in focusing there expertice on a occupation that brings them a good compensation for what they know as oppose to :ricky that is obsece with helping other for no reason..

good for you that the bags never broke,, and sorry if i offend you some how, for sure i was not trying(the whole ingles skill is a pain sometimes because I don't know how to be settle and I always end up coming really blunt) sorry again if i warm up your head..

so do you still have the bags? i imagine you don't!?!?
    do you know how they are doing?

just asking,, because i'm curius
    i'm really working on it...will see.
  17. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just for info purposes. I used the Zega rack and HB donuts from Touratec. When the bags are open you can torque them down against the rack. Of course you have to drill but it is a very secure system. :nod
    [​IMG]
  18. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    No offense, I was a bit concerned about that at first as well, but yep, it's held on by the seat latch and has worked just fine for about 8000 miles now, including a giant Montana trip featuring plenty of crappy roads. I used to run a bungie over it for peace of mind, but it's no longer a worry.
  19. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    It is strong, and if I can't find the time to make my own, I will use the TT/HB mounting pucks as well. They sure remove from the bike quickly. Is there enough thread left to fit some flat stock in there to spread the load? How hard would it be to just by longer hardware?
  20. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

good for you at least so far...
    that seat latch piece is pretty much the crapiest part in that the whole bike..
    i will sugest to run a velcro strap or something from the bag handle to the passanger hand bracket,maybe that way even if the latch fails you don't losee your camara or whatever you carring on the box ..