please show how you attache "Pelican" bags to you bike

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    best and most creative designers in this Forum misterMiGSel

I believe the box is from touratech but the rest is his own work
    [​IMG]

as ussual his design is simple and elegant and also kind of BRUTAL,, simply brilliant:ricky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MiGSel modified the ADVenture seat to make room for the Bottom rack and oviuslly the super mega top box..on the left is my great Host in Holland david,,mega cool dude..:wave
    [​IMG]
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    and was develope by KAIL one of the menbers of this forum
    [​IMG]

so far I can not find the rest of the photos but the bag design as equaly smart,,simple, elegant and totally foolproof
  3. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    This might help. I've used this system to mount regular ammo cases to various bikes over the years. The NX650 has "Sportsman's Boxes" that are available at any Hunting / Fishing store. The V Strom is using Gotlieb bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/ Lots more pictures and ideas here.....
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    RoyB exelent work,,thank you very much for sharing it with us..

also congratulations in your rack is really nicelly made,, very smart reinforcement [​IMG]

Now i did not find more cool bag pictures in your link were are they :huh :eek1 :evil
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

not much to see on this one
    [​IMG]
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Agreed Ricky, simple is best. Very little to break there. Is there a break away mechanism there?

Speaking of simple, remember this posting of yours:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40719

Like it was part of the bike's design! :tb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mas: :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    this rack is so freaking strong is not even funny..
    also I think since is so narrow is never going to hurt the subframe,,(lack of leverage arm)
    dude I know Roger is Incredible, his panniers are the most beutyful boxes I ever see...

but lets keep them under raps for now if not a lot of guys are going to spend some time sleeping on the couch when the wife's find out how much they spend on this *Prada* bags of motorcycling.
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    you want me to pull em? i could edit my post... :ear

just thought the simplicity of the racks was good fodder for designs. :D
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Fuck it...

is not a big deal,i just don't think will be useful for the conversation since the design is already so well develope,,

we are looking for Pennytech solutions or at least something like that.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Rodger that Ricky. For the Pelican system, evolving bastard stepchild of us all that it is :lol3, the rack is the most expensive part; couple of hundred for these standard racks right? (Touratech, Happy Trails, Hepco Becker, Givi...) Just thinkin that if something simple could be made from readily available stuff then that would be even more Pennytechnocratic!

:bow
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

cool...You are getting the hang of the backyard engeniering...

some day we need to stablish the ADVrider "Junk yard wars" will be fun,,
    one hour on a dumster, five hours of fabrication and lets the best brain win

currentlly is so many fancy material available plus so many things all ready premade is no excuse not to be able to solve a problem at least for personal use,specially if you are not to "particular" for comercial distribution that is a diferent story
  12. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, what They charge for the racks is rediculous. I think I had about $250 in the rack and do-nuts. Very easy to add extra metal for more suport. Also easy to add longer hardware.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a zippy version of the Power Tool Drag Races. Ever been? Its pretty slow, lots of BS and sillyness. But it is whacky. I dig it. :D
  14. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    whacky and silly is okay if that is the porpuse, but personally I like the Mcgiver style far better,,with the "You have five minutes to reach minimum safe distance" time contrictions..

yeah the tool drag racing is fun,, i see them 3 times at the piers,,
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Yes, being able to repair/reset the mounts after a bad spill easily would be key for me to bite.

I saw them once at a junkyard south of Potrero Hill - lots of time wasted while balanced on top of a forklift (our seats :lol3) but they were entertaining if you are not in a hurry. :D
  16. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Totally agree....
    what is the point of those really fancy bags if the drop all their contents on the first drop? or even wrost you can NOT mount them back on the bike because they don't fit any more or something broke off...aka embrace Murphy's law since sonner or later is going to happend like it or not.

here is to introduce another very comun design concept use in thirt world countryes(mostlly by default)
    is call "Apropiate tecnology",,well not exactlly in this case but kind of fits...

basically you want to design something that is consius of the enviroment is going to be use and the capabilies of places you are going to find down the road so it can be fix anywere as oppose to be stranded for days waiting for special parts coming DHL..
    for example ussing steel as oposee to aluminum since is far easier to reweld and far less prone to suffer from fatigue
    were the tolerances are so "soft" the parts still funcion even if they are out of aligment,,is like a old bicycle made in Indian with the metal controls,, Yeah their perfomance suck but they are so simple they kind of work no matter what even of everything is worn out rusty and out of shape...

in short Hyper exact tolerences and pieces that get crash a lot don't go togheter to well so is better to design the parts with sufficient "Wiggle" room for them to keep working even on the most adverse condicions...

again i refer to the *Motorcycle diaries*

yeah same place,,is fun but is just so clicky is not even funny,,this "Secret societies" kind of sucks specially when you are not part of them
  17. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I've decided to stay away from fixed panniers for my travels and just go with strapped on dry bag/s.

But......if I was using the bike for commuting, the convenience of waterproof boxes that were impervious to thieves would be great. Easily detached could also mean easily stolen.

I love this project you're researching. :thumb
  18. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    same here, they are so much better when they fall on you legs...

i hear you loud and clear, for leaving the bike on a parking lot or the street the hard bags are a far better option than soft bags and for sure they require some kind of security sistem to make them less prone to be stolen,,
    the Touratech solution kind of makes sense but its far to complicated, hell even the jessy bags kind of work,even if they are a pain to align, the Metal mule sistem is far smarter and super easy to relase plus very secure but i'm not sure if it will release in a fall,,

is for sure a lot of fun and with the help of some many brains maybe we can figure out something really cool for everybody to benefit...
  19. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Desires on this POLL that I start today.

who knows maybe we can make a compendium of the basic needs and figure out what (and hopefully why) people like and care for the most.
  20. auslander

auslander Meh

Oddometer:
    I basically used a Happy Trail SU Rack and bolted a pair of Pelican 1550 cases to it using "high strenght" bolts from the local hardware store (rated 12.9).

Looks like this:

[​IMG]

I've crashed more than a few times with this setup, and I think the cases actually absorb a lot of the impact (they flex quite a bit). As you can see from this more rececnt pic, they hold up pretty well:

[​IMG]

The only downside to this setup is that the cases are not removable. I'd like to get a setup where they can be padlocked onto the bike somehow in a very secure way. Most of the mounting systems don't seem like they'd hold up under pressure, so for now I'm find with the cases being permanently attached.

-nate