please show how you attache "Pelican" bags to you bike

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that BeemerChef.

The other thread is on the ultimate pannier. Not on mounting pelican bags.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61477

That system would not be patentable. Way too many similar systems - particularly on bicycles. Well not easy to patent.

As I see it the two lower hooks on the bungee cord are placed into the lower slots on the bikes plate - the bags are then lifted up so the upper hooks (solid to the bag) then go over the top of the bikes plate - and the bags are on. Simple.

To lock the bags .. The pelicans have a hole for a padlock - I'm going to use the padlock with a bicycle cable (used to secure a bicycle from theft) from one bag to the other through the farm and maybe the rear wheel (cannot have too much security). I'll put my mount up on my pages - need to make some room on the site and do it.

Frank Warner
    Yer not adding anything to the thread with that last post meatpops. Other than uping the hit rate on the photos you quoted. Use yere brain cell man!
  2. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Great explanatory pictures, Ara. Are the rubber pucks on the mount plates just stand offs for the cases, or do they engage the cases to keep them better located?

That system would be easy to duplicate. Do the bags flop around much, like when your GS bottoms out? I have used panniers on bicycles with damn near identical top hardware, and a single point bungee at the bottom, and had them bounce off or worse, partially disengage, and take out the derailleur on their way to crashing me. :nod

The Storm cases look good on the website. The plastic they use; How does it like exhaust heat vis-a-vis the Pelican? How does it hold up at hardpoints (where we would drill & mount it)? UV? Any chemists out there?
  3. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    You got it on the nose Frank... it is a very simple system and it works! My 27000 mile trip this year did not affect them a bit... At some point I will change the bungees... they probably have one more year of life left...
    Locking... honestly I never somehow worry about that... it does pay to be somehow careful as travelling alone I generally will not leave the sight of the bike... you have to feel where to park safely... maybe even ask the gas station attendant to keep an eye on it while you are using the facilities...
    It is just a way and feel of life for six months out of the year and Iv never had a problem... I never even remove the key off the bike... being a "Verholen" key holder however, few even know that ITS the KEY! I have even had GS riders ask me what that switch was!!!
    Good luck... and be well...
    *** There is a chance that I will switch my yearly schedule and work summers instead of winters... if that happens then Australia will be my second home 5 months out of the year!!! I will let you know...
    Ara
  4. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    I'd say simple standoffs - reduce the rubbing area.
    They would fop at the bottom sideways away from the bike.

And at the top - vertically upwards. This would occur on jumps when the rear wheel leaves the ground. This would be as your feet leave the pegs - the bag may tend to disengage from the bike. Not something that happens too often on a fully loaded tour.

---
    Ara: Carry a spare bungee - not too hard, expensive, big or heavy. OZ is a nice place to travel. NZ is a bit on teh small side .. well for me. And if you want NZ like place to go than Tassie is very good and easily doable from mainland OZ. Not that getin to NZ is hard, it is just harder than Tassie. The worry about theft is only in the main cities - any thing where there are more than 3 pubs. Otherwise the bike keys are safer in the bikes' ingintion lock. I put them in too many places to remember where they are sometimes.
  5. kgrenon

kgrenon White Trash

Oddometer:
    Heres a 1120 on my xr400

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Hi Rapiti... because of the two strong clamps on top, the two clips at the bottom and some definite "tightness" on the bungees they do not flop around... I do not go airborn! I stay on service roads that are not too dramatic... and... when I see a "hairy" single trail coming up with chalenging terrain... well... I turn around before adventuring into it and coming to a point where turning around is just physically impossible... (no Jimmy Lewis here!). That is the extend of my "talents!!!"... I have to play it safe as I am generally pretty heavy loaded (the bike that is :rofl )... and alone... The rubber bumpers keep the cases of the plate and allow some room for the bungees not to rub between the rear of the case and the plate... they just go (the bungees) through their regular wearing down cycle... however great idea to carry spare ones already pre-cut and pre-burned at the ends and some clips to attach new ones. There are only 2... After all, since I carry all the tools needed for servicing, including torque wrench, fuel fliter and O ring, oil, belt, cables... you name it... 2 extra bungees are not going to make much of a weight difference and God knows I have the room!!!
    Thanks for the tip... sometimes one does not look any further than their nose and it is generally too late when we go "Duh!"... or... "why didn't I...".
    Be well...
    Ara

[​IMG]
  7. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    BeemerChef, what are the base plates made of and how did you attach them to the bike?

Thanks,

Richard.
  8. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Look at the pictures and they are self explanatory... long studs that uses existing BMW holes... you HAVE to have the side racks however that held the original cases... but I am sure there would be a way around that by fabricating some pre-drilled blocks that would act as the side rack...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should measure the thickness of the plates also probably... they are strong aluminium? I think...
    Wish Mt Sun, Jim, would not be so stubborn and would start selling the hardware alone as we all like different bags and could then cusomize our liking... but! %$#^!!!

Be well...
    Ara
  9. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:

:wave :wave :wave How's it goin SD!!!
  10. sdmotor

sdmotor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still lovin those bags, melted the left bag with that less than smart exhaust mod posted here somewhere but have bought (not mounted) its replacement. Added cables to stop the bags from opening too far and been using the hell out of them. I like Ricky's post for that pelican topcase. I'm looking at the 1620 mounted on a Jesse rear compartment to clear the bags I have for a big waterproof topcase.

How's the 12GS treatin you? I was a little green when they came out but like my pig enough to not want it........ yet
  11. sdmotor

sdmotor Long timer

Oddometer:

Ricky, I have these bags from Azabeemerboy and after re-reading this thread went and inspected both bags. There isn't any deformity to the area where the bolts are on the right bag. The left bag got a little melted from a bad exhaust mod but the bolts are still looking good and holding strong. The area of the bag that got hot is a little wavy but still strong as ever. I am going to add a small plate like you mentioned, just in case. :thumb
  12. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with ya. I like the big pig also and I doubt I would have traded had I had one. Having said that the 12 is a fantastic ride, no problems. Just another new place to dump money for "gotta haves" :thumb :thumb !!

See ya - get East give us a shout.
  13. sharpeunit

sharpeunit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pix on mounting setup for the Pelican panniers. I assume that an exhaust tip extension would be needed to keep the heat off the left bag's mounting plate. I would need to make some sort of a hasp lock mount to keep the bags from wandering off here in "Chocolate City".

Mt. Sun's cost is getting close to aluminum system pricing. Fudge!
  14. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Hey... was just in Decatur last week! in a cage!!!
    I think one should start "duplicating Mt Sun's Hardware design... it is a good design definitly... it also has the advenatage that because they are both "out" (the plates) the same distance there is no need for exhaust mods...
    Once that plate is made with the hardware, bungees and clips and stainless steel bolts and nuts then each can choose what size Pelican, Storm or Kinetic or anything they would like to attach... you can even have different size bags for different occasions, each with its own hardware... if I have done it anyone can!
    Just a thought...
    PS: I bought my Kinetics when they were on sale... $90 for both!!! regular price $120 or so each... even at that price as I have seen many mangeld Touratechs and Jessies they are almost disposable!!! I yet have to damage one!
  15. sharpeunit

sharpeunit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you keep your drawings/templates for the plates and mounting holes. You said something about using the original OEM bag mounts for something, was it to locate the new mounts and/or use as a spacer?

Tank yew!
  16. Spanish Bob

Spanish Bob I dont know where I am.

Oddometer:
    Hey ricky

(as you probably know) my 1420 topbox is held one using a zega mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it gives you the flexibility to take it on and off and if I wanted to later even have a second top plate and mount a bigger box for long trips.

Peli make very nice products! :nod
  17. auslander

auslander Meh

Oddometer:
    Nope, bolted in place.
  18. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Auslander, thanks for the info.

The setup of Spanish Bob looks interesting. Thanks for showing the pics.
  19. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ricky, any information on where this mount comes from?

[​IMG]

Bob, I had a Zega mount on my KTM to attach my Jesse top box - shook itself to pieces in 2000 miles, sent it back to TT and got a full refund. I know the KTM is know for its vibes but it really wasn't good enough. I would think that on the BM and with the smaller pelican box you will be OK but I wouldn't use the Zega for mounting a larger box.

PS See you the the BMW NYE party? :freaky
  20. Spanish Bob

Spanish Bob I dont know where I am.

Oddometer:
    Hello there

Nope -fraid not I have a family commitment. but give me a call to meet up whilst you are here?

0034 607 586 241

Mine seems OK and lots of people seem to have the zega cases. Weird? I have to keep loctite-ing the screws and the plate isn´t too attractive now after 30k. I´d be delighted to use soemthing taht wasn´t ttech, but I justdont know of anything more or less similar.

cheers