1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Please some advice on a GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by rubicon1979, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rubicon1979

rubicon1979 Private Dancer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a new F800GS and I havent owned a bike or a GPS in a few years. Before the best feature for me was being able to stay off highways and especially interstates while traveling. I REALLY hope to do some dirt and back road traveling. I had used a BMW Navigator before but it was the early version.

I've read on here about the Garmin Oregon, Nuvi 500 and the Zumo series. I'm lost as to which one I should purchase.

I want the ability to download other files online of other people's travels and probably most importantly I just want to be able to go places using my GPS to keep me on smaller roads.

Thanks!
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just atart reading all the threads on your question. It has been asked and answered many many many times. Actually more than that.

What you need to do first is learn about "Tracks" and "Routes" and decide what you want/need most. The hand-helds have lots of Track feartures but small screens. The larger "street" units are much better for lots of routes and autorouting.
  3. rubicon1979

Oddometer:
    Well I wanna do tracks so that rules out just spending a bunch and buying one Zumo. I'm really liking the Delorme units and I think I might just buy a Nuvi 550 for road trips and a Delorme PN-60 for the offroad exploring.

Is this making sense?
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not bad. I have Nuvi 450 for car/motorhome and 76Cx for dirt bikes.

PN-60 is good unit but most track users are using Garmin. There is a lot of data out there in Garmin format .gdp but easy to convert with 3rd party software to talk to Delorme.

Caution at many Dual Sport rides, promoters only download from Mapsource which means to Garmin products only.
  5. John92

John92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an Oregon 550 and have City Navigator 2011 as one of my map options. It allows for road routing but doesn't talk. I have Topo 2008, Roads & Rec, and BirdsEye Images so far for switching up the map options. The Oregon does very well with tracks but I haven't used it in my car for routing yet. I have a crap Nuvi 200 for that. I am happy with the Oregon so far.
  6. rubicon1979

Oddometer:
    I dont need a unit for the car, this will be a dedicated bike unit.

I dont need voice or xm or bluetooth or any of that. I just want it to tell me when to turn on the screen.

So the Oregon could do both and I wouldnt "need" two units? Am I missing something or is the 450t and 550t the same unit minus the camera?

Oh one more simple question! Can I use the Oregon to route away from interstates using the City Navigator maps? That is my number one priority!

Thanks again!
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You said you want to do "Tracks" then you said you want to "Route" away from Interstates.

You are talking about two different features?

What kind of bike, Dual Sport or Adventure?

What kind of riding, all off road or just a bunch of county dirt roads?
  8. rubicon1979

Oddometer:
    I have spent the better part of several days now reading about GPS's lol.

I see where I can download gpx files and follow tracks. I want to be able to do this as easy as possible.

I also want to be able to punch in an address of a campground into the unit and it route me there while avoiding interstates and main highways if possible.

I'm really wanting to order the Touratech xenon light since I use my bike for commuting and if I can save a little on the GPS I might be able to swing both. Ive been reading and it seems like the 60csx might do what I'm wanting for now then maybe a zumo to compliment it?

The bike is a F800GS and I do want to try more dual sport and adventure rides. In the past I typically always rode highways but owned a dirtbike for off highway stuff. I'd really like to be able to combine the two.

Thanks! I'm trying to edumacate myself :clap
  9. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Oregon or the 60/76 with maps will do what you are wanting. The main differences are;

Oregon;
    Larger screen size +
    Harder to see screen -
    No buttons -
    Mini USB external power, 5v input -
    More $ -
    Touch screen

60/76;
    Best screen to see +
    HD external power connector, 12v input +
    Buttons +
    Less $ +
    Small screen -
    No Touch screen

The touch screen w/o buttons is a negative to me but other will argue with that.

Bruce
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an old girlfriend kept telling me; "and men in hell want Ice water"!

Actually you should do all your trip planning ahead and download to your GPS. Yes you can use "Find" if you unplanned need gas, food, or other things but you should already have downloaded waypoints for campgrounds you think you will use (or in my case motels and fine dining)

If you want to do lots of routes and find things on the fly, I don't think you will be happy with a small screen hand held. Perhaps you really need two units.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Actually, if you spent some time using the features of most of the GPS's instead of just using the as a glorified hi-lighter, you might know what he's asking is really simple. :lol3

Rubicon, first, many of the newer units like the 78 will convert tracks to routes, or you can just load up the track and follow it. as for punching in an address for a campground, all you have to do is set up your avoids i.e. avoid major hiways, select the place you want to route to, the unit will calculate you a route that keeps you off interstates and other boring slab. Hardly looking for ice water in hell. :lol3
  12. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will give you the difference in Screen size of the PN60 VS the Garmin 60/76 series. The 60/76 share everything the same except packaging.

Also I might add the 60/76 units will run 5 days on batteries with 2700 NIMH batteries. (This is with the back light off of course)

What you are seeing in the pic is no back lighting on any of the units in Direct Sunlight.
    I can see the 76 very well in most lighting conditions, with exception to night with out the back Lighting through a Dark Smoke Shield.

[​IMG]

Todd
  13. rubicon1979

Oddometer:

Thanks!

I'm ordering one of the Garmin 60cxs's today from GPS city. I've looked long enough damnit! Now I get to spend the time to learn how to use the thing...
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you haven't yet; 60s have several issues though not show stoppers, the 76has none.

60s
    pop out of RAM mount 76 can't
    break off antenna if dropped or if brake hose catches it
    Power swithch seams to have some issues.
    buttons are much lower than 76 and harder to use with gloves on

Again they function exactly the same it is only reliability issues.

Some people who have never used a 76 think buttons above the display are a problem. I have never never never read a report from any actual 76 user that they don't like the button location.
  15. Ivyleague

Ivyleague Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are all BMW riders so perfectionistic?:lol3
    I did learn a few things about my next Xmas present - Thanks!
  16. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took Jerry's advice and bought the 76csx and could not be happier. I really like the computer interface. You probably already know to buy City Navigator and Roads and Rec (on ebay, since Garmin no longer provides).
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK I will bite, educate me. What features (on 76Cx) am I not using on my dirt bike?

Just so you know now I currently spend my time. I spend about 90% of it recording tracks to edit and use for my Dual Sport rides, post on GPSXchange.com, or making variouis OHV maps. I am currently working with a forest in California producing theri OHV map. The other 10% is spent following my or some elses tracks on a multi day ride.

If you call a track a hi-lighted map then guilty but I would call a route a hi-lighted map, a track is just a road on the map in a different color.
  18. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    It's OK Jerry, Albie just likes to stir the pot, He lives ( or rides ) in that perfect world where all his rides are Routable, he has serious problem with using tracks, or anybody who prefers them.
  19. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:

*Cough*XOG*Cough*
    To bad Lowrance killed it. A little more R&D and fix a few reliability issues (mine has never failed to work) it was a nearly PERFECT multi-use GPS.
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Don't hate cause your riding sucks. :lol3