1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Please some advice on a GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by rubicon1979, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The part where I explained to Rubicon how to do what he wanted for starters.
  2. REVjimenez

REVjimenez ESSCAPEr

Oddometer:
    Dunno if you have figured it out by now, but in a recent E to another rider and also posted in another asking about the difs between the 550, 660, and 665, the following is my assessment thus far:

First, my current communications setup is sitting on a 2007 R1200 GSadv and consists of a PALM Pre bluethooth’d to Garmin 550...Garmin 550 hard wired for data and audio to J&M CBradio...J&M CBradio hardwired to J&M Bluetooth dongle (which communicates wireless to helmet J&M Bluetooth setup)...all works flawlessly!

Secondly, between the 550, 660 and 665, the following has the feature comparisons:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=135&compareProduct=65203&compareProduct=15000&compareProduct=414

Thirdly, on the dif of the products and what makes one better than the other, the following are my ascertains as I have been looking at the 665 because of its superb NEXRAD weather tracking capabilities:

PRO Column
    1.)
    550 has external buttons, 660 and 665 don’t
    2.) Larger screen area (wide screen) on 660/665 vs smaller on 550
    3.) Full NEXRAD weather images on 660/665, but only when you pay the monthly ding and have the external antenna mounted
    4.) 3D buildings on 660/665, nothing like it on 550, but only really worth it in major cities’ downtowns
    5.) All have bluetooth but 660/665 have also A2DP standard that integrates with phones better (though see #5 below on CON area)
    6.) my PALM Pre will sync no problem with the 550 for inbound calls, and call management (muting, conference calling, checking battery status, etc)
    7.) 660/665 has option of QWERTY keyboard or ABC keyboard (550 only has ABC keyboard)
    8.) 660/665 has lane assist which in ATL or larger cities would be beneficial as several times I have gone astray on I-75 when it switches mid stream
    9.) 550 and 665 have native XM capabilities (tho need antenna)...not sure if you can do the 660 with the external antenna

CONS Column
    1.) 660/665/ do not have external physical buttons to zoom, instead and on screen buttons not as big making it a bit cumbersome for 660/665...you can buy the BMW Nav IV which is a 660 in a mount with the external buttons but tis a wee bit pricey
    2.) 550 weather app plain and simply blows more than a hurricane...worse than telebision of yore where they hung down pics of the sun!
    3.) my PALM Pre synced to the 550 will sometimes lose my address book on the 550 which requires me to pull phone out of pocket, then do a search or quick button call, which then moves it to the Garmin with no problem
    4.) earlier models of the 665 had intermittent issues on it shutting down on the occasion...not sure its status now, but it is why I held off from selling my 550 and getting the 665...more on the Amazon reviews here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-zumo-Widescreen-Motorcyle-Navigator/dp/B00313JWSY
    5.) Firmware previous to the October timeframe on the 660/665 has been reported to be buggy:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592777
    6.) retarded miniSD card location in the 660/665 (behind battery), so you better get the size you want so you don’t have to do the dance more than once!
    7.) there are different mounts for the 660 and 665, but Garmin does not discuss it worth a hoot...more here:
    http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=71739.0
  3. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO the 276C/478 are the big daddies of the 60/76 series:deal I used to only use a 76cs and moved first to a 276C and now also use a 478 for all the 276C abilities plus XM radio.

The screens of the 276C/478 are way better than the 60/76.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a 76Cx. Can you be more specific, which features should I be using?

I am very happy with what I have been doing with it but I may be missing some options that you are knowledgable with.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so you know.
    zumo 500/550 will require some more translating work to get others .gpx files into routes and not tracks.

i have one & it's a great unit but does have limitations(ie workarounds) you need to be aware of.

60csx accepts tracks but the screen is smaller than 500
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    .gpx is just a container file for what the person saved.
    that could be a route or could be a track or just poi (points of interest)

7. lzempjr

lzempjr Humpies from Hell

Oddometer:
    So another GPS Nube (or should I say virgin) . . .been using old fashion scrolling and dead reckoning . . .but the time has come (actually christmas is coming). THought about posting yet another new thread, but this one seems to be pretty close . . .

Here are my questions (and if you are ever in Asheville I will buy the beer at the Wedge):

1) Have two bikes 1150 GS and DR 650. Like longs rides through the middle of nowhere . . .no interstates. The DR is for this summer's CDT. Don't need xm or blue tooth . . .just want good navigation that can help me find gas, a hotel and a hot cup of coffee. . . .something that is good for forest service roads and the like would be great?

2) Once I choose a unit, I dont really understanding my software needs . . .I have an Apple computer at home . . .can someone walk me through what I need and what each program does . . .if there is a thread out there that already does this, please point me in that direction . . .

I apologize in advance for asking such basics . . .but when you are a virgin, the basics are what matter the most . . .
  8. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use an iMac and a MacBook Pro to do all my GPS work. Here is a link to an outline of how I use my Macs:
    http://rickramsey.net/GPSandMac.htm

There are newer versions of the software, so don't be disappointed when some of the links on my pages fail - just go to the Garmin web site and track down the current versions.

Don't miss the Map Conversion linky:
    http://rickramsey.net/GPSM1.htm

NOTE - I don't do routing and don't look for services enroute. I use tracks and some waypoints and never use routes. This will be at odds with what you asked about, but I'm trying to show the bigger picture here.

PS Bobcat has been replaced by BaseCamp. I'll update my web pages this winter...
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    By far the easist way to do the CDT is to get a GPS that has all "Track" features, download the Tracks and gas waypoints, and go ride.

You will need to obtain a set of maps and download the sections for the CDT. This is not software just map data. To do all this you need a software in your computer to talk to your GPS.

At the current time Garmin has just replaced teir old 60/76 models with new 62/78 and the old ones are on sale all over town. I like th 76Cx @ $200 from West Marine but 76Cx is under $200 at several places.

After you get hardware there are several sources of the CDT Tracks. I have a set of 20 500 point tracks and waypoints ready to download to any handheld GArmin GPS. You can find them on GPSXchange.com
  10. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents, if you can find a Zumo 500, it's good value if you don't mind not having music, it's the same as a z550 if you stick an SD card in it.

Love the 278 series but the antenna is a let down by today's standards, get an external antenna for it and it's good.

60 is also a good unit but the screen and button size if a bit of a disadvantage if you're serious about using it on the move.

David
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    By far the big difference is Tracks vs NO Tracks, every thing else is secondary. All the hand helds take tracks that a dummie can follow. All of the big screen Street units require a lot of expertise if they do it at all. I don't like the 60 because of small buttons, 76 will work with gloves on easy.
  12. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another GPS nubi here. I'm looking for a GPS that can I can pre plan my routes on my desktop and then transfer the route to my gps. The only other requirement would be that it provides some means of audio turn by turn directions to my currently speakerless helmet.
  13. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was interested in both the Garmin 276C and 478, then discovered they have been discontinued. Doh! Why? They seemed like awesome GPS's for dual sporting and I see them in so many of ride reports over in the Ride Reports forum.

Do they still make something equivalent to these two models?
  14. lzempjr

Oddometer:
    Is this thread still alive . . .so I bit the bullet and bought a 60CSX. Now, a couple of questions:

What type of mount would be best?

What programs should I load on it and in what format should I buy the programs?

What programs should I stay away from?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated?
  15. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:

Your 60CSX should've came with Mapsource.
    Use it to plan out trips and load maps etc.
    If you need maps there is free alternatives to Garmin maps.
    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com
    I don;t own a garmin product so I can't help more, like how to load the maps onto the device.

Mount, get a Ram Mount.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Garm...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQrQQwAA&biw=1024&bih=578
  16. lzempjr

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much . . .I just bought it yesterday and its being shipped so havent gotten it yet . . .

I will check out the RAM Mount . .

Thanks again.