Please suggest multi-use KTM/Husky dirt-bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by enewmen, Jun 3, 2021.

1. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blake Gutzeit did okay with just a kicker, Tarres isn’t factory, they both ride for satellite teams. A button is nice for racing but isn’t really that big of a deal outside of it. Trials riders seem to get along OK without them. There is usually a rut or rock to help stand on while kicking, it mostly annoys me riding with a big group and constant restarts…

Everywhere is different though, in somewhere like TN it could be a huge pain because everything is so slippery. 4437FBAD-FB39-4008-B5C7-B82667E8C810.jpeg
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    You'd have to pry my estart out of my dead fingers. Its not a requirement but at this point in life I appreciate the subtitle pleasures.
    LC8TY, PDXR650, rubber_band and 10 others like this.
  3. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think I could buy a non play bike without one.
    Bitingdog and Elle2Konsai like this.
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I get a kick out of all the recommendations of a 300 2 stroke for a noob...better have 911 on speed dial
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    me neeva - kickin bikes is reserved solely for when tip me off these days :dhorse :gerg
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  6. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Yah can't win in this situation. For all we know, the guy is Jarvis in the gnar....gets a Honda CRF250F and wonders wtf we're going on about. Or he's a complete n00b, grabs a spankin new 300 2T and whiskey throttles up his first tree, or is crashing into gramma wondering wtf he was told to get a pro level race bike.
    [​IMG]
    Elle2Konsai, Fast1, 2whlrcr and 4 others like this.
  7. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTFO in the desert is exactly what the steely 1980s frame excels at!
    Bitingdog and andrewgore like this.
  8. Blindfarmer

Blindfarmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you have zero off road experience?

Lots of great info in this thread, but you’re overthinking this. The bike will not be be your limiting factor this year.

Buy something used. Preferably low cost, low weight, low power. Get some miles in. Make some dirt friends. Try their bikes. Pick up an end of season deal when you have a better idea of what you want. Sell your first bike next spring.
  9. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Youre old enough all I have to do is be a little patient :lol3
    RideFreak and alvincullumyork like this.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heavy, not a modern 450 powerhouse, but you can dial up the front wheel in the mid like its telepathic. Problem is they are sold out. To the OP, I choose to ride my GPX FSE250R (its slow as a slug) on vet MX tracks. My 350 is my axles dheap sand weapon. 55 and bean et hit awhilst. Managable power, good legs, forget the scale.

Deez guiez don nose shit. Welp, nod moist off demm.

Bartow MX. 350 was faster, GPX moore funner.
    3709B60F-7092-4DE9-BE65-B9A7581EFAC7.jpeg
    Bitingdog, enewmen, shinyribs and 5 others like this.
  11. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Wouldn't hurt to have a Garmin In-Reach mini with a well lubricated SOS button as an alternative!

Bitingdog likes this.
  12. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack
    alvincullumyork, Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  13. enewmen

enewmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for explaining. Sure know the difference between the CRF250L and 250L. Yes, I will also be worried about breaking something quickly on a 250F and 250L. I think the 250F/L will also break on table-top jumps. I used to own a CB1000 for 10 years and people are acting as I've never seen a manual transmission before. I'm also very different from a 10-year-old and I care about crashing because I will never want to crash my expensive hard-earned investment. Actually, I never crashed any bike or broke any bones riding since 1984. I normally don't like to rev engines high, so I modern 300 smoker like the 300XC seems good for me. I expect to do jumps later when I get more comfortable, but I don't expect extremely gnarly single-track or super-cross.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  14. enewmen

enewmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post and the top picks for each discipline. I will have a 2-car garage. The truck in one side, 2 bikes and kids bikes on the other side. So, I don't have space for a bike for every discipline. I'll just need to pick a discipline I'll do most and simply have something less ideal on the other types of riding. I will not get a bike for only 50 hours and I'll look for something I won't easily outgrow. I plan to take a dirt riding course and rent a bike.

You asked me if I ever did a long road multi-day trip and what bikes I had before:
    My road trips were mostly in Thailand in the late 1990s-early 2000s. when I was still single and had time for that. I've done Phuket, Thailand to Changmai which is about 1000 miles there and 1000 miles back. Most of the trip was on the highway. But sometimes in national parks, I had to ride on crappy/muddy 3rd-world dirt roads to get to remote areas like waterfalls. I got a flat tire once, but it was only a 1-mile walk to the small bike repair shop which is common on highways between towns. The bike was a Honda Sonic 125 bored to 150cc. That bike is similar to a Honda Trail 125 except it's liquid-cooled and has a 5-speed manual. The packing was very light since I brought laundry detergent and washed my clothes daily while letting them dry (mosty) overnight. I stayed in cheap hotels without air-con, had fried-rice or "pad krapow moo grob" in the morning, then plenty of beer after riding. I've done other rides from Phuket to Bangkok which is half the distance to Changmai at two days there and two days back. I averaged about 60mph or 100km/h. Sometimes I went with a buddy to the Myanmar border and back.

You asked me what bikes I had:
    The bikes I owned was a 1974 CB360 6-speed twin and a front disk brake I got in 1984. In 1988 I got a Nighthawk 650 with shaft-drive and hydraulic valve adjusters. Two years later I let a friend ride it and he totaled it. In 1990 got a Sabre 700 v-twin shaft drive. In 1995 got a CB1000 Four and let my sister use it while I was in Thailand. In 2004 I downsized and got a Ninja 250 since I only went at posted speed limits anyway. That 250 was surprisingly fast and smooth. Then an Asian CB250F while working in Singapore because insurance and bike taxes are high here.
    Other bikes I rode a full day on were a V-Max, Goldwing, and the high-revving Asian CBR250RR. I never crashed or broke a bone in my life.
    I knew I would like dirt, but I didn't know where to start and I didn't have a place to store or transport a dirt bike. When I asked a dealer where can I ride dirt bikes, the salesman told me to go where I won't get caught.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  15. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Far better to master and "outgrow" a bike, rather than have a bike that stunts your growth, makes you hate riding, or worst of all injures or kills you.

Start with a 150 or 200cc two-stroke (maximum) or a 250cc woods tuned four-stroke.

Excellent examples include the Husky te150i, KTM 150xc-w, Beta 200rr, and perhaps best of all the Yamaha wr250f (it's KYB sss forks, and KYB shock is the very best stock dirtbike suspension you can buy) it'll do everything you need, and it's easy to upgrade the power with their performance ecu.

***paging @Elle2Konsai for a review
    Adanac rider, VxZeroKnots and enewmen like this.
  16. enewmen

enewmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. This is what you recommend after reading my riding history. Let us go down this road. The Husky te150i/ KTM 150xc-w TPI was one of the first bikes I was checking. My concern is the WP XPLOR isn't designed for MX and may bottom out on jumps. This is why I checked the 300xc with WP XACT forks later. If I can get a Husky te150i, front suspension upgraded for mild MX (without replacing the whole front assembly), then that bike won't be overpowering and I won't easily outgrow.
    The WR250F costs a lot less than the KTM. So, a new WR won't cost more than a 2T KTM even after the pricey 4T top-end overhaul.
  17. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I've run MX on a clapped out xr350r and now done quite a bit of indoor MX on my KTM 350 which has xplor forks. I don't know what you're worrying about. Box stock they're pretty darn good even for that and I'd happily race them at some of our local tracks for a GP race. I cant keep up with the youths and their fast flat bill setups though. :cry

I'll say it again......any new off-road bike will work for what you want to do.
    Bitingdog, mode12, Bultaco206 and 2 others like this.
  18. enewmen

enewmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to be on the same page, I expect to ride at the MOST 20-30mph on single-track and MX. I don't think I'll exceed what you described. It seems then anything better than a CRF250F should meet my needs then. Xplor PDS shock and Xplor forks seem fine then. I'll just need to get it sprung for my weight.
  19. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    It seems your many hours of internet research, has led you to the perfect first dirt bike for you. Congratulations! The KTM 300 XC is a very fine machine. Oh and welcome to the exciting new world of crashing, broken bikes and broken bones. It's time to get out away from the keyboard and start living life!
  20. Elle2Konsai

Elle2Konsai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See here? Perfect example of somebody who doesn't get that the OP is a baller who needs a LIT bike to clear doubles on the weekend and shred GNCC trails during the week. Sure those WR250Fs, TE150is are fine, if you're a girl or some septuagenarian but they will break if you bottom the suspension. Never, ever bottom the suspension --jack up the preload and back out the compression all the way ok? That's what happened to mine, first jump and boom, broken swing arm right there, and why I got a sweet YZ450F bike.

I'll say it again, you need an MX bike with a big hit so you can coast up to a big jump making sure to take a line with no rut and then pin it at the last second before you throw a gnarly whip. Do not commit! Just show up to open practice on a saturday at your local mx track and start ripping.

BRAAAAPPP...

Just going to leave this here for inspiration....

N8, andrewgore, Bitingdog and 3 others like this.