Please suggest multi-use KTM/Husky dirt-bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by enewmen, Jun 3, 2021.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Congrats again, you are now faster than most World class enduro pros and haven't even thrown a leg over a dirt bike yet. And just how much do you weigh? You seem certain that your new bike will have to be resprung and revalved without even a first ride on any machine.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    This guy wants to show you something about the TE150

3. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, though I'm not the one to mentioned it, but I don't understand the YZ250 recommendation if it's in reference to the 2 strokes. Those are frantic bikes with very narrow power bands. I have a best friend that loves em, and they can be a hoot now and again, but they're exhausting to ride in the woods. WR250R is an overgrown street 250 dressed up like a dirt bike. Heavy bike that carries it weight high and very underpowered. Lots of riding the clutch when going slow and lots of wot when trying maintain speed on a 45mph mountain road. There's nothing easy about either of those bikes.

There's a YZ250F and X that are four stroke and a completely different machine. A close friend rides an older WR250F ( not R ) and that bike also feels underpowered and top-heavy. His nephew has the same age bike ( aluminum frames, late 2000's bikes) but the YZ version. Much more power, but still feels top-heavy and heavy in general. And that's in comparison to my dinosaur 520 exc which everyone says it's heavy. All three of those Yamaha 250 riders mention how much easier my bike is to ride in the woods. I'll ask "Why don't you get one then?", to which they reply " oh, it's a big bike. Too much for me". But you just said it was easier? :confused

Make of all that what you will.

You're not a kid. You've been riding long enough to have basic bike control skills. Don't let the internet scare you away from a more powerful bike if that's what you want. If you were to suggest at a 40-50hp street bike many will scoff, saying they couldn't possibly enjoy such an underpowered machine. And others want to act like a 40-50hp dirt bike requires some type of Alpha male with superhuman skills to reign it in, and there's no way some lowly noob could possibly handle the steed they can. Yeah, 50hp dirt bikes are STRONG. But throttles are infinitely adjustable. The bike won't lunge forward unless you tell it to. I knew a few guys who started out on modern 450's. They're fine.

There's a reason KTM's 300 has been owning the 2t offroad market for decades. Other great offroad 2t's have come and gone, but KTM has been perfecting that one for a long time. Not fanboy talk. I don't care much for two strokes, just saying.

All the CRF250L, XT250,etc style bikes have shit chassis' for what you want to do. They won't make your life easier, they will just fight you.
    enewmen and renogeorge like this.
  4. enewmen

enewmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is about as fast as I will ever get. Sorry if my 20-30mph estimate is way too fast.
  5. enewmen

enewmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 20-30mph may be a high estimate, but I weigh 200# without gear.
  6. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    A small bore 2 stroke would be one of the last bikes I would recommend--unless you see yourself as a high revving, speed carrying, clutch slipping kinda guy.
    Bitingdog and shinyribs like this.
  7. enewmen

enewmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not a high-revving guy. But I have no clutch issues.
    North ride likes this.
  8. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Better just call up Pastrana and see about getting the OP an RMZilla. :ricky
    Bitingdog, Dao1 and Elle2Konsai like this.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    he is going more than 20-30 mph.. probably doing the corners at 20 mph + in the video

Bitingdog, andrewgore and enewmen like this.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

The point of the reply with the TE150 video was to counter the comment made by the OP that the forks wouldn't work on a motocross track. Think that video was proof they would work, maybe not work well enough to win every AMA event in your region, but well enough for an amateur riding a track on practice day.

I didn't hear much clutch slipping in the video either.

11. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I think the OP should spend some time watching Torture Test Magazine on the youtubes. Guy rides\races the crappiest of bikes....and they're never the limiting factor. :lol3
  12. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've seen guys land BMW GS1250's successfully. I've launched CB750's off rail road crossings before. Pretty much any dirt bike will handle light MX. A dedicated MX bike is not required to have fun jumping around.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    You literally have no idea what you are getting into. Go rent a bike, any bike, and take a few off road lessons.
  14. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I was just fixing to say, he has no issues sending XR250's and DR200's in to low orbit. :D
    Bitingdog, mode12 and andrewgore like this.
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s where the high revving and speed carrying comes in. Maybe a video of a 50+, 200 lb new dirt rider riding trails would be more on point
  16. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I watched his stuff and it made me not want to give my buddy his DR200 back after I fixed it. :lol3 I'm curious what it's like tossing some knobbies on and ripping the trails we do in the UP. Yeah, not as modern and refined as my 350, but like the guy says....there's something fun about being able to just rip the snot out of something and it just takes it. :thumb :ricky
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. ChR1s

ChR1s Spherical Bastard

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog and andrewgore like this.
  18. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    There's not much that my KTM can do that my XR's couldn't, but the KTM makes EVERYTHING easier.

There's some truth to the 90% rider: 10% bike trope, but I don't think the ratio is that extreme. Maybe 60:40 is more accurate? Good chassis' with broad power demands less from a rider.

But I still love thrashing around on my old XL500S. A complete turd in some ways, but it makes me smile. So yeah, beaters are fun. There's no such thing as having a bad time on a dirt bike.
  19. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    True however I did post mid way thru this thread with my advice on that subject.

Granted Decoster isn't going to let him on the KTM Race Team but he should be preparing with physical (cardio/strength/balance) training now, even before getting his first dirt moto.

Bitingdog, VxZeroKnots and andrewgore like this.
  20. PDXR650

PDXR650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No perfect bike - always a compromise, but trying to get something that is going to be good in the woods and good on the track is a fairly tall order.

IMO, if you want a focus on offroad and compromise on the track 350 XCFW, if focus on track on compromise offroad I'd look at a 250 XCF.

Don't worry about rebuilds - these bikes go lots of hours when properly maintained.

Suspension on these bikes is excellent - the Xplor is soft for track use, but it's 100% capable of goofing around....the XACT is def a stiffer/racier setup, it's not plush at slow speeds, I find it needs to be ridden hard to work well.

I always point newer guys to the XCFW's and EXCF's since the engines are so manageable and easy to ride....whereas the XCF's can be a bit of a handful in the woods at times, but the 250 (in particular) is a peach.
    Bitingdog and enewmen like this.