Please Weigh In on Some MX Travel Questions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The Chief (tm), Oct 17, 2013.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Johnny, if you haven't seen one of those heads that you use in your avatar "in the flesh" so to speak, there is a couple of places not to far from here where you can see them.
  2. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey MikeMike...I don't want to take over this thread...but my avatar is an actual photo from La Venta. I was a tour guide in Mexico 20 years ago and used to go to every ruin I could in between tours...including hacking through lots of jungle in the Yucatan. Which place are you talking about? I need a reason to get back down there.

Johnny
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tres Zapotes, Johnny. I bet you know it, well. Probably Quiahuiztlan, too.
    But have you ever been to La Cantona near the Veracruz/Puebla stateline? Or the ruins behind the priest's house in Tehuipango?
  4. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MikeMike - Holy crap...I had not heard of a single one of your suggestions and had to look them all up. I am not that familiar with the Veracruz area but it looks totally fascinating. Been to El Tajin a few times and climbed Orizaba about 10 times but never been to one of the places you mentioned. Now I need to really see this part of Mexico.
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Johnny, take a look for El Zapotal and Las Higueras, too.:deal
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tripadvisor shows 12 hotels there. I like Hotel Real de Catorce. Not our business, I know, but is there a reason for the focus on PV? It's an OK place but far from my favorite spot. Lots of Mexico down there as already suggested...
  7. The Chief (tm)

The Chief (tm) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kantuck,

Fair enough question about PV!

So I'd been to San Jose/Los Cabos on quick vacations, had motorcycled over once but only a lunch trip into Tecate. Was on a cruise a year ago, spent a day in PV, and just liked the size, the feel, the "safety net" of the city amenities vs. the accessibility to non-gringo-y areas up in the hills and/or right across the river, etc.

In thinking about a "place to go" for the first Big Trip Down, and to hang out for several weeks/months or so, PV seemed to check all the boxes. And as I've been collecting ideas from all the other Inmates who've weighed in, I'll do some off-course touring on the way down, but quite a bit down around PV once I get established. Eventually, I'll leave via the Mazatlan-La Paz ferry (after a few days in San Jose), come back up through Baja, and have built a fairly good experience for the first time out. And I'll know I'll be back after building up the coffers again!
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    PV or not PV?

Pssssst! The answer lies in staying away, really far away, from throngs of gringos.:deal

You'll learn Spanish much faster.
    You'll eat better.
    You'll drink better.
    You'll spend less and get more.
  9. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:
    MikeMike,

Yeah, I hear U (he admitted, sheepishly). Again, for a first-time effort, I promise I'll make the most of it, a little bit more "once I'm there and on the way back", rather than "on the way down". (Finances play a part.) But in PV you can trust me to be as un-gringo-reliant as I possibly can, unless I can figure out a way to make a buck out of it, which'd only allow me to stay there incrementally longer...
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the way to think:clap
    You'd be surprised how you can do just that, and then you wake up one day and realize 20 years have gone by.:deal. Trust me on this one!
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    One word for me as a "replacement for PV ( I spent 4 days there & it's OK):

:dealOaxaca:deal
    My fave Mexican city.

Less gringos? While I love Mexico & the people too, being a gringo that may be a little over the top? San Miguel's nice but has too many gringos , find ways to avoid them...:D
  12. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's only because you like drinking mezcal and eating grasshoppers and ants.:freaky
  13. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:
    MikeMike -- we can only hope! :evil
  14. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton

Wait until you head to the Oaxaca central city market, you'll see what I mean.:freaky
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually my fave places for food there is the two old ladies that do burritos on a hot stone near the old church at noonish & the buffet near the centro & the "ice cream plaza" @ night, just down the street from Dominos Pizza place. True homemade ice cream is appreciated by a guy that makes it whenever there's enough company @ home to justify it.
    Indio, yes. Pacifico,yes.Bohemian,yes.Es Special,yes.You get the idea... No Mezcal or bugs for me...
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, the "once a year beer" aka Christmas beer aka Noche Buena is in stores now.:freaky
  17. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:
    Well, I do enjoy the mezcal when I can, and I have an amiga in the DF so mebbe I'll head towards Oaxaca at some pernt...
  18. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:
    Oh, I meant about "making a buck" off the gringos, but now that you mention it, mebbe I should look into this "grasshoppers & ants" thing...heck, under the influence of the proper amount of good mezcal, I'll betcha anything could start to look appetizing.
  19. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, personally, I'd draw the mezcal line in the sand at Pelosi.:eek1
  20. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:

Within reason, guy!