Please Weigh In on Some MX Travel Questions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The Chief (tm), Oct 17, 2013.

1. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Corn harvest here in Ontario, been a little busy at the elevators and I missed this question.
    Four a.m . starts to a riding day is inhumane, no way to treat yourself on a vacation.
    Take it slo'n'easy , ya get there when ya get there.
    These big city border crossings are open 24/7 and they have some staff for Migracion and BANJERCITO on hand all the time .But limit yourself to the normal waking hours and you will do fine. And yes , you are perfectly legal to go to a Nvo Laredo hotel for the night , 72 hours in fact, before you bother with the customs formalities.
    If you look at the Migracion terminal's parking lot as you cross the bridge you can gauge how busy it is . I gather you are crossong on some kind of USA holiday , but you might be surprised at the dearth of cars at that office. If there is a crush of traffic on the bridge it does not mean they all want customs processing. Lot of them are crossing to do weekend shopping , a bunch are going over to just get drunk and others are going to visit family in the city. None of these groups are going to do much in the way of document processing .
    If you do it later in the evening you may find the terminal practically deserted and be served quickly .
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    PV around the night clubs is too loud for too late @ night for this old gringo:D
    Puerto Angel as e.g. is more my speed for a coastal town but PV is OK. The roads to & from the mtns above & to PV are better(IMO) than PV as are the towns(IMO) at the other end of those roads. Several nice small Pueblo Magicos inland.
    Migracion can be like a sleepy place where the world "stands still" with very little going on or be grand central at other places or times.
  3. The Chief (tm)

The Chief (tm) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good input all. Sjoerd, shouldn't be a USA holiday (well, anniversary of Pearl Harbor), but had simply been wondering about pros and cons of Friday vs. weekend day (traffic and paperwork-wise). 24/7 customs and Banjercito is a good thing, though by now I know I'd rather get things done in time in order to be scouring NV hotels under daylight conditions.

Kantuck, hearing U on that one! Have been eyeballing a few places; if in Old Town/Zapata, I'd target being up in the hills a bit, in the eastern or SE part, away from the go-go action down in the flats closer to the beach. (Heck, it's not like it's "far away".) On north side of river, would try to stay (again) up in the hills a few blocks, or a few places I've thought OK in Lazaro Cardenas, still within walking distance of the hot spots downtown. And I know I'll see many more to choose from once I'm there, the ones that aren't listed on Craigslist!
  4. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:
    Random thoughts:

1) Can you exchange USD for MXP at the Banjercito window while doing TVIP papers? Or intentionally pay with cash and ask for MXP back as change?

2) I have a Valentine 1 radar detector hardwired into the bike. Does anyone know if Mexico uses the same frequencies, if detectors are legal, and if it is worthwhile not so much for protection on the highways, but for around the outskirts of the towns? Am thinking "maybe", "probably", and "maybe".

Lift-off currently planned for Wednesday, Dec. 4.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope on the money exchange at BANJERCITO , not their function.
    Just take your BANK CARD and at a Scotiabank or Banamex or ANY
    Cajero Automatico ( ATM) in Mexico withdraw 5000 pesos from your personal
    account . Be sure to save all your receipts to verify all transactions and don't count your money on the street.!

BANJERCITO will accept US dollars in payment for the TVIP and TC as well as
    a major credit card ( Visa, MasterCard ,American Express) so you need not worry.
    And in every Mexican border town US paper money is readily accepted by virtually every business with change given In peso coins. Their exchange rate is not quite as good aswhat the ATM will give , but that is the cost for the convenience.
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will not need a radar detector.

If an officer of the law decides to pinch you for speeding, he will certainly do it regardless of your actual guilt, and your actual speed, measured or not, will not matter.

That and the fact that most cops I see in Mexico are going faster than I am even when I'm hauling the mail, so to speak.

I have a sense that a series of epiphanies are going to wash over you your first few days in country.
  7. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That pretty much sums things up!:deal

I think the radar guns are being used for measuring the pitches at the Mex league baseball games.
    Not much call for them for hockey slap shots down here.
  8. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:
    :D

And I hope you can believe me when I say I cannot wait!
  9. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the above plus having your gas tank full when you cross allows you time to find an ATM soon after crossing in most locations. Near the border many/most take US$ at Pemex but inland a ways,none do so. I suppose it's ideal to have a few pesos when entering just in case the early ATM visits are empty or not seen. I use carry over pesos to smooth the transition but not essential as Bakker says. Good practice+ bust your big peso notes at Pemex stops to avoid trying to eat a burrito/buy a banana on the roadside with a large bill they cannot break for you.
  11. mexipike

mexipike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I personally don't like to be in Nuevo Laredo at All. I'm from Austin, so it's only a few hours from me and I've been plenty. I find it much more pleasant to take 57 just south of San Antonio on IH35. 57 will take you to Piedras Negras which is a very painless place to cross, then you take the same 57 only now in Mexico all the way to Saltillo for your first night's rest. It's a nice ride too.

Make sure you have all of your copies for the Aduana in Piedras Negras as you have to drive a bit back in to town to go get em if you don't.
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    P. Negras is tranquilo in my experience but for me Ciudad Acuña is my crossing of choice as its due South of me and muy tranquilo.
  13. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    When a cop shows you his cell phone with your "speed" displayed and tells you its his radar gun: priceless!

Yeah, he's going to have fun. :freaky
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Really?

Crossed there more than a few times and the Copy Czar was always ready and waiting right there in the building.
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    That's when you pull out your cell phone with a photo of El Presidente and tell the cop you have him on speed dial
  16. mexipike

mexipike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was weird, I expected there to be someone ready to go. It was about two years ago in January. They said there was no one there for copies so I had to drive back seven or eight miles to the Farmacia and get them made. I hit them right around the 3:00 lunch/dinner time so that may have been the problem.
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Fernando the Copy Czar had the huevos rancheros that morning.

He was on the growler when you arrived :deal
  18. The Chief (tm)

Oddometer:
    Mexipike -- Looking like I'll have had a long day in the saddle already, to get to Nuevo Laredo in time to exchange papers and rest for the evening, or else Piedras Negras might have been on the itinerary...or...

Jimmex -- during my coast-to-coast ride back in '08, I ducked over from Del Rio and visited Acuna for dinner; despite my (then) non-existent Spanish, had a very enjoyable meal at Crosby's. Whilst working out the route for this trip, I was trying to fit Acuna into the plan; how heartbroken was I to learn that Crosby's had fallen victim to the plague of violence these few years back :cry

Crashmaster -- did U know that this very same bike of mine carried me up to your fair state last summer, during which time I made a few friends based out of Girdwood itself? A ski instuctor and a restaurant manager up on the hill, a gal who owned a restaurant, a hotshot lawyer who worked in town but lived down there, etc. LOVED my time in AK, hope to get back soon.

Sjoerd -- who knew you Frisians were so corn-centric? Kidding aside, I've leafed the heck out of the hotel guide while mulling over the twenty or so alternate routes I might take to get to where I'm headed. Without a doubt, by now I'm more shocked when a town *doesn't* appear in your listing than when it *does*!

Heading out Wednesday, crossing border Saturday. Incredible! Thanks to all for the "hep" thus far. Anybody shooting through PV from mid-December to mid-January, lemme know; should have a bed, couch or air mattress to crash upon. TTFN!
  19. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    People from my hometown have (had) been going to Ma Crosby's for generations. I met the current owner a few years ago when things were really getting bad for business owners there. It is a shame that such a venerable establishment has gone under. Buen viaje y mucho suerte! Saludos, Jim
  20. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Perfecto! Vamos a llamar tu jefe, el Presidente! :rofl