Point me in the direction of an e-bike for use at horse shows?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by flux_capacitor, Nov 12, 2019.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    My wife has a '79 Honda z50 right now that she uses as a pit bike at horse shows. Its a never-ending pain in my ass, since it doesn't get used every day and spends life pretty much away from me unless it needs repairs.

I'm going to sell the z50 and get her an e-bike of some sort. The choices are overwhelming, and hoping the more knowledgeable of you here might point me in a direction. She has a friend with a "Swagtron EB-5" and she "likes how it looks".

I'm hoping to not spend more than $700. Needs to hold up to some abuse as horse show kids are on and off this thing. Doesn't need to be street legal. Needs to be compact (although I am not sold on the folding ones holding up just yet). A full size adult needs to be able to ride it. It needs to be able to be ridden in all weather conditions.

Which e-bikes should I be considering?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    $700 is shooting low

Battery is a very significant portion of cost and they can easily go bad if left sitting around for months on end so that needs to be taken into account

Most of the folders from reputable sources I've seen are just fine from both a ruggedness standpoint and for adult use including reasonable pedaling... although I know there's some crap out there too

They can be water hardened but not really waterproof - i.e. with dielectric grease on connections and RTV in battery boxes, controllers, motors, etc. they can be ok for riding in light rain but bad idea to ride or park them in a soaker... some things like most displays will prolly never be terribly water resistant...
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    $700 :lurk
  4. semper-guzzi

semper-guzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a swagtron Eb-6. Same running gear (motor and battery) steel(I believe) frame and fat 20 inch tires. It's on amazon for under 700.

But, a mid drive would be so much more fun.
  5. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    I would double your budget and look into the Rad Bikes from Seattle.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

We used a Yamaha TRR 90 at the horse shows, never had any problems, thing was reliable as a hammer.

The little 50’s wheels are too small, they go in and out of every little hole.
  6. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Good stuff and some things I haven’t thought about.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  7. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also recommend Rad power bikes. My wife has a Rad Rover fat tire bike that we've had for a couple of years (1000 miles+). They have a step through Rad Mini folding bike with smaller fat tires. Apparently they're having a sale at the moment. You can't really get as much for as little $. https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike
  8. _mtg_

_mtg_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Rad Power if you can swing the budget. I bought one for my mother in law, and I’ve put a number miles on it myself. They’re solid, no fuss, and the price is really good.
  9. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
  10. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    I've been leaning towards a Rad Power bike for myself (and possibly my grown daughter but she destroys things so I may let her spend her own cash if she wants one) because they have a physical building in Seattle where they are based. You can visit their showroom and try out the bikes, get service, buy parts, etc. They've been in business for a while, seem to have a good reputation. The bikes are designed by them as well.

Lots of good choices out there though. Whichever one you get, throw a handlebar basket on it and you're all farkled out for the horse shows, Lol.

[​IMG]

I met this lady at a show and we were talking dirt bikes. She told me she smashed into this bike while backing her truck up at another show. It wasn't her dirt bike then. She got to talking to the owner of the bike and ended up buying it from her right then and there for a good price. I guess that is one way to dirt bike shop, Lol.
  11. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mmmmmm, I like that little bike over there... if we hit it with our truck we can convince them how unsafe it is and get them to sell it :lol2
  12. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, no doubt, but if you've ever been to a horse show, the driving, trailering, backing up, etc, is...interesting. Not to mention the horse back riding, Lol.

I'm so glad I'm done with that scene, I don't miss it for a second.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    This comment may not be PC but..... that gal on the bike 100% looks like a woman you'd see at a horse show :wink:
  14. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Haha yeah horse shows are crazy. I hardly ever go with her to them. It’s a whole lot of waiting for very little actual riding. Plus it smells like horses haha. She makes her living as a trainer though so at least she’s the one making the money, not the one going broke to own them haha.
  15. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great options so listed so far but as mentioned $700 will be tough unless you go used.

I would also add lunacycle to your look at list. They have very high bang to buck ratio and some pretty cool stuff.. the Banana BBSHD would be a great little runabout if you don't need suspension.

They have been great to work with and I like their hot-rod mentality. Untouchable for W/$
  16. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    chainslap and wheresbaoskee like this.