Polaris! You didn’t!?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jwrover, Oct 10, 2019.

1. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockies,
    I need your massive research abilities.
    This past week I received a presentation on the Colorado Byways re-establishment of the San Juan Skyway Committee. As part of the presentation a reference to the Alpine Loop and Tread Lightly side conversation broke out.
    The presenter relayed details of a recent Polaris UTV Ad that showed footage of A) a family pic-Nic off trail on the tundra B) of a line of UTV’s traveling up a stream bed and C) a 6 person UTV roped up and pulling down an old mine cabin.
    All of this appearing to have been filmed above Silverton.

Can the vast power of internet search in this group please be mobilized to either confirm or deny this footage. I have been unsuccessful.

The San Juan County Sheriff is being mobilized to take action. Should this prove to be true it signals a very troubling philosophy by the owners of several key brands in our sphere.

Thanks
    Merfman, Bad Wolf and VxZeroKnots like this.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I won't ride up there anymore, it's gotten way too overrun with SBSs just like Taylor park. When an area becomes popular to the SBS crowd it's fate is sealed.
    redrock88, Pariahtize, wbbnm and 6 others like this.
  3. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Side by Sides and their ilk are the true death of anything fun, awesome, pretty, and worth the ride. I have kicked several of them off the tundra this year. All of them living the instagram life. It saddens me to no end.
    redrock88, AbeWhat and eddyturn like this.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles tend to weed out the average twinkie eaters except the ones who really want to get to someplace. With SBSs that's all changed, most drivers are respecting of the trails and really not an issue but there's too damn many of them and any twinkie eater can drive one..
    dmac1 and WVhillbilly like this.
  5. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thoughts on this are split until further information.

On one side, one would hope Polaris would of vetted the advert, making sure everything portrayed was legal.
    All footage/evidence being on private property for instance, and or any structures/ environment damaged of the same.
    Not sure if that even would be legal, permits might have been needed.

On the other side, if indeed the actions were on public land/property, they all need to be investigated, and charged appropriately.

I know of several persons with mining claims that stretch back into the 1800's, with the original structures somewhat intact.
    I'm sure the truth will surface with time.

I won't go into what I think of SBS operators.
    That's a whole other thread.
    ROAD DAMAGE and cidi like this.
  6. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just spent the last 30 min searching / looking at any ads from 2018 /2019 and watched several, but did not come up with anything remotely mentioned by the OP.
    We will have to see if anything turns up.
  7. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the ad that OP is talking about and I was seeing it pretty regularly, though I can't recall if it was on TV or online. But now that we're talking about, I have to say I haven't seen it in a little while. Wonder if Polaris is aware and has pulled it.
  8. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    Whether they pulled it or not, if they made it, it shows that this is their perception of their market. Having enjoyed hiking, backpacking in wilderness, mountain biking, and now motorcycles, I really hate to demonize another user group. I am convinced that the direction of the land managers is to remove all human activity from all public lands eventually, and that we need to band together. The “humans are bad” mentality isn’t going away soon. That said, most, not all, but most of what I see in the SBS crowd is a bunch of morons going as fast as they can and tearing up once usable roads, as well as going off trail where ever they want. I’m getting tired of every forest road being turned to loose rubble. But since they appeal to the “Twinkie eating” masses, I don’t see it changing soon.
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I freaking lost it at "living the Instagram life". :lol2
    pratered and Merfman like this.
  10. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    "Instagram is the worst social media network for mental health and wellbeing, according to a recent survey of almost 1,500 teens and young adults. While the photo-based platform got points for self-expression and self-identity, it was also associated with high levels of anxiety, depression, bullying and FOMO, or the “fear of missing out.”

https://time.com/4793331/instagram-social-media-mental-health/
    WVhillbilly likes this.
  11. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Oh, I get it and I completely agree. Just chuckled at the phrasing. I'm surprised that isn't a sticker put on their bank loaned SUVs aside their Salt-Life, Army-Life, and Fire-Life decals. :D
  12. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Funny, I rode Taylor Park last Friday and had the whole place to myself. Didn't see a single sxs, atv, or Jeep, and only one other motorcycle all day. Frankly, it kind of freaked me out, and had me riding extra cautious being solo and all. I've also ridden Ouray/Silveton in October and had the same experience....standing at the top of Yankee Boy Basin without a single other person in the entire valley.

As for all the ATV/UTV rage, I've honestly never encountered anyone in or on one of those things that wasn't courteous and respectful. Maybe it has to do with when and where I ride, avoiding tourist areas in peak season? :dunno

Personally, I'd like to see UTV's licenced for street use, even if only for roads with a speed limit of less than 50mph. Their impact is so concentrated right now because they have so few places they can go. Licensing would spread them out and reduce their impact imho.

13. Granitic

Oddometer:
    This is probably the ad in question:

These appear to be the scenes that caused concern?

Polaris1.JPG Polaris3.JPG Polaris2.JPG
    RLK, _CJ and AbeWhat like this.
  14. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Central AZ is the highest concentration of ATV / UTVs I have ever seen. Everybody I have ever interacted with is very nice. (They do drive too fast, of course.) And I make a point to interact with all, admiring their vehicles, sidearms, etc. A large outfitter (20 ATVs on a trailer) says there are sometimes problems. No surprise. He is out there several days a week so he is going to see the bad behaviors.

Agree on licensing. That's an interesting point on spreading out the impact. AZ licenses everything, so a lot of miles are spent running around on rural pavement and not tearing up dirt. USFS LEO I spoke with says there are very few accidents involving OHVs on paved roads.
    Colorado Uli, CrazyCooter and _CJ like this.
  15. Assfault

Oddometer:
    If indeed this is the advert, I really don't see anything that might be harmful.
    What looks like Poughkipsie Gulch or similar trail, a pullover off the trail, and a obvious newly setup "cabin" being torn down, not anywhere in the San Juan Mtn's.
    I guess some people need to be outraged over something to be happy.
    sieg, wbbnm, MCCOYBOY and 5 others like this.
  16. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right, the second pic is clearly bad off trail behavior, but the first is a rock garden and the third is a rancher pulling down his summer cabin somewhere.
  17. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in agreement that this looks to be the video in question.
    While nothing in the video is overtly egregious on detailed inspection; I do have concern over this portrait of off trail parking, and cabin pull over. While in context they are fine on private land; we in the San Juan’s see an ever increasing lack of Tread Lightly education and behavior.
    Glorification of bad behavior tends to lead to that behavior. Especially by those who live in areas where very little education on environmental conservation is provided. They visit our mountains and look t live vicariously like the ads.
    It’s a philosophical problem
  18. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Having worked in the business.. I would not be surprised if the UTV was not put in place in the tundra... With a crane or just carried by people ( yes, the extremes ) ... as they would need permits to film on public lands ( for Commercial usage ) , maybe even a forest service representative on set...
    Any FU would jeopardize any future permits...

Thing are not always as they look on film... The UTV may have been striped in...

Assfault likes this.
  19. Assfault

Oddometer:
    This is my position, fact and reason are not the norm anymore.
    It seems people are all to quick to judge a perceived injustice.
    Overreaction and outrage are almost expected to promote an agenda.
    Otherwise it wont be considered worthy of a response or action.
    Vetting and critical thought are needed today to weed through the BS.
    Unfortunately, that is not popular.
  20. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Commercials have always went to extremes
    CrazyCooter, dirtydoug and Assfault like this.