Polaris! You didn’t!?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jwrover, Oct 10, 2019.

1. jwrover

jwrover Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's really a matter of Weeding through BS or judging a perceived injustice. Nor is it acceptable to write it off as " Commercials have Always went to extremes" ...so its ok...?

The reality is that far too many people who engage in Side-By-Side enjoyment do so at the expense of the terrain, environment, and local resource than is acceptable to those of us who live here. For a company as dominant as Polaris to portray or give credence to activities with their vehicles that flies directly in the face of Tread Lightly policies is irresponsible. In the past 4 years we've had multiple incidents where people from outside of the region come to enjoy our San Juan Mountains; but wind up leaving destruction and long term damage behind them. So when the primary supplier of those vehicles presents an idea of how to enjoy their vehicles in our mountains; it needs to be done in a way that does not encourage bad behavior or disrespect for the basic principles of Tread Lightly and Trail Etiquette.

I didn't necessarily see anything proudly problematic with the video that was found. I do have concern with regard to the tundra picnic and the pulling down of a cabin imagery. I have seen people with TX plates on their quad and SbS driving out of mining areas with artifacts in their trunk. I stop them and engage in a conversation and each have said they are property owners taking if from their own places...But who really knows? But if we are to keep trails open and maintain unrestricted access to the multitude of routes and trails in the San Juan's then we need to self regulate and self govern. Or the hard core regulators will. There is currently federal legislation to expand the Mt Sneffel's wilderness area. It will ultimately cause closure of upper Yankee Boy Basin and potentially parts of Governor Basin. Those looking to reduce and exclude motorized travel will use imagery created by Polaris to justify their position.
    redrock88 likes this.
  2. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    During my recent trip to the San Juans area I noticed SXS's running through towns in the area, I don't know about CO regulations but in MO you cannot legally drive them on the roads. There must some states that plate them and allow that. I do remember being a bit bewildered seeing them on the streets,,
    maybe some of them are just taking the chance. What does stand out to me is" just get your SXS out of the way of my moto momentum" though.
    redrock88 likes this.
  3. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much just Silverton. They aren't allowed on the streets in Lake City, Ouray or Telluride, which are the other three 'big towns' in the Southern San Juans. Or on the highways.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Knowing that your SXS can pull down a cabin appeals to a certain segment of the owners.
    enduro-ince and Assfault like this.
  5. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    So that's the jet car we were promised back in the 60's!
    I always wondered where it was, now I know. Thx Norm!

Here's a doosie! Hope someone doesn't get outraged due to the overland route. Oh My!

<iframe width="483" height="362" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    motorcycle john likes this.
  7. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    Just a question I've pondered: How many of your would like to see a gathering of all types of motorized trail users in order to seek common ground and to educate one another?

More of a "in the field" kind of thing than a "in the classroom" kind of thing.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    You'd get the best turnout if it was held in TX :jack
    Blakebird likes this.
  9. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Supposedly according to one of my geology professors long ago, when that was filmed a storm moved through and she was stuck up there for awhile. Car was stripped down so the roof did not work.
  10. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    here in AZ they are legal on public roads,,, there are so many of them that we still have issues with congestion, dust and litter. granted there are more popular areas that they frequently use, but the other side of the coin is a vehicle that size power sliding around blind corners at very high rates of speed on public roads with other motorists. it can be, and has been quite dangerous.
  11. jmq3rd

jmq3rd .

Oddometer:
    What kind of plates? Last I checked I didn't think it was possible to plate a quad or most SbS in Texas.
  12. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    People get a mailbox or setup an llc in Montana, Utah, Arizona or one of the Dakotas. Those have seemed in the past to be the easiest places to plate them. Still doesn't cover highways, and local towns is up to how they have decided to manage. Silverton and Lake City have allowed them on designated routes, Ouray has cracked down against them. Telluride seems to allow them, but that only means come down Black Bear or Imogene, and you can get to Last Dollar as well. So you need trailer support or out and back.
  13. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    It sounds like Silverton is pretty fed up with the whole thing and I can see why. allowing them in town has been kind of a clusterfeck because now a lot of these users have changed their daily destinations from going over stony pass to going to the breakfast place or the liquor store or the bar or the funnel cake place.. its kind of become a parade atmosphere. Its like some people drive 15 hours to get there, unload their rigs and then they don't go anywhere.
  14. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Kinda sounds like the wanna be's at Sturgis......
  15. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geeez, you guys are spoiled, try living in Moab :puke2
    Assfault likes this.
  16. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Yep. Moab is the poster child for this mess for sure.
  17. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Hooliganry and bad behavior sells. Polaris is giving customers what they want.

I'm still pissed about David Lesh and his snowmobile antics. Another example of how bad behavior sells.
    Assfault likes this.
  18. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    Throttle down in town!
  19. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Golden, CO, has a car show/meet every Saturday in the summer. All Saturday long on the tiny main strip "downtown" were 100+ people might be on the sidewalks and crossing the street at any moment, it is the complete opposite of "throttle down in town". Every jack-ass with anything "fast and/or loud" gives it hell, you know, going from 0-25 MPH. The real cool guys go faster. Police just watch. I was raised in the suburbs, in high school any one doing similar would get a reckless driving ticket and a serious talking to by a Sheriff - so chasm of difference here is a real wake up call.

Long story short, the Billy Baja ATV/SxS culture is a natural extension of Ricky Bobby car and truck culture.
  20. jmq3rd

jmq3rd .

Oddometer:
    I dont understand why the part showing them pulling down a cabin is bad? They are showing what kind of work can be done with them. Never would've crossed my mind that it might be somebody else's cabin..