POLL: Good Vibrations - F800GS AF-XIED

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by utah914, Mar 30, 2016.

?

What setting do YOU use on your F800GS AF-XIED?

1. Setting 5

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Setting 6

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. Setting 7

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  4. Setting 8

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Setting 9

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. utah914

utah914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to eliminate some annoying vibrations (so bad it was shaking the bolts out of my hand guards) on my 2013 F800GS for the past six months with basically no success. Checked motor mounts, fuel type and octane, crash bars, exhaust mounts with nothing making any substantial improvements. Finally decided to try out Roger's AF-XIED and it has transformed my bike. The "all parallel twins vibrate like this" argument goes right out the window. This is a super smooth bike now, something I was beginning to doubt was possible. In the areas of the power band where adaptation has worked its magic I'd almost describe the power delivery as "electric".

I'm now just trying to pile on the miles to give the BMSK time to adapt. But seriously, even with only a couple hundred miles on 7 and now 50 miles on setting 8, I'd say the vibrations have been reduced by like 60-70%. For me that's huge and I think it will just get better.

So.. now I'm curious what your experiences have been and what setting you use on your personal bikes. I ran a couple of tanks at 7 and recently changed to 8. I can't seem to get enough riding in now. Definitely should have come like this from the factory.

Roger, great work. Thanks for the excellent product. :ricky

EDIT: Changed mine back to setting 7 and plan to leave it there for a couple thousand miles before I try another setting.
  2. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Gave my bike more grunt and quicker delivery in the low to mid range.

:happay
  3. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one sitting on the bench, once I install I plan to start at 7 and then give it 2-300 miles. After that I'll try it one setting at a time in either direction.
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had the AF-Xied on the bike for over 2 years. That's about 7/8,000 miles in motorcycle time on this bike. It is on position 7. I ran it at 8 once. Perhaps not long enough, I did not feel that much difference. I have run the bike with stock and aftermarket exhaust.

Vibrations have been a complaint, since these bikes were introduced. I and others have posted ad nauseum why and what we have done to deal with it. Every mod made a difference. Because I ride off road I have a steering stabilizer. It has some cushions between the handle bar mount and the frame. I have bar cozies on the handlebars. I have a G2 throttle tube to deal with the abrupt throttle. I ran a 17 tooth sprocket for a while to lower rpms while keeping the speed up. That helped, but caused a negative effect off road at slow speeds.

With addition of the Af-Xied, the 17 tooth sprocket is back on. So is my stock exhaust. Compared to stock, this bike does not vibrate. Take that Triumph :clap It is pretty amazing what grades this set up can pull at very low RPM's. The stock muffler flows better at higher rpm than my Leo Vince set up and now has a raspy growl to it. I have lost a few MPG. Yesterday was a typical ride. 150 miles of back roads. Max speed 70 mph. It did include 8 miles of steep dirt/gravel/sand with a few rocks thrown in, all done in first gear. Mileage was 56mpg.
  5. utah914

utah914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With as many miles as you've got on yours, you probably have a really good feel for how it improved over time. How long did it take before you felt like the ECU stopped making improvements to fueling?
    Big Fella likes this.
  6. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about vibrating nuts and bolts loose as I have not experienced the extreme on my GSA. Just the normal stuff especially at highway speeds. The Afxied wasn't the big game changer at those speeds. However it was a good piece in the puzzle along with others that allowed me to install a one tooth larger counter shaft sprocket. That allows the bike a lower RPM which equates to missing a certain RPM vibration at some highway speeds.
    I run the Afixed at number seven with the drilled open air box mod and a Akropovic slip on. The cork is removed from the exhaust quite tip so it is a straight through perforated core however the quite tip remains in minus the cork in front.
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never paid much attention to the fueling because California makes periodic changes in their gas formula. It causes the same loss of mileage. Winter gas sucks. When I put the AF-Xied on, I also had the Leo Vince muffler with the noise suppresser installed. I noticed an immediate acceleration improvement in the lower 4 gears below 5,000 rpm. Not so much any where else. Not to argue about it, but I had a temp spoofer on the bike and never took it off. Even if adapted, unplugging it should have reset it. I did a few freeway trips, loaded with gear at 70mph and got 46mpg.

I live very close to the National forest and was worried about spark arresters. It was a ranger who told me if I had the stock exhaust they would not check me. The first ride with the stocker opened up the whole rpm curve. It was almost night and day occurring very quickly. The odd thing, unless my memory is gone, is it has a whole new sound it.

I am advocating the AF-Xied, not so much the gearing for expert riders who think they bought a dirt bike. But it is geared low enough for all the fire roads around me. It is fun to ride some of these back mountain roads and the Sierra Passes. Not whole lot of shifting required.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  8. utah914

utah914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about just general improvements in how the bike runs? Did you feel like it got better over time? And if so, how long
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't answer it better than I have. I think if you live in a mountain area that results in a lot of shifting, changes in throttle positions and engine load it will happen sooner than if you lived in Kansas and rode from A to B on the highway.
  10. thetrux

thetrux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I
    The biggest improvement is how it eliminates the "snatchy" throttle problem. For me it was a drastic difference. As mentioned it makes lower rpms useable where the bike feels smoother. I've only tried 7 so far.
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it took long on mine. A few thousand kms maybe.
    I like to vary the throttle opening and use all the gears through the entire RPM range at times so I may be an unusual case.
  12. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IIRC, my AX-FIED came from the manufacturer set on number 6. That's where I've left it. It definitely cured my snatchy throttle issues, and it seems like I have a touch more power everywhere. I also went to a one tooth smaller front sprocket, and I have no complaints whatsoever. My computer says I get 54 mpg, almost all the time.

p.s. My bike's a '14 F700GS
  13. bimmerd00d

bimmerd00d Throbbing Member

Oddometer:
    I believe I am needing this. It works great for your F700GS?
  14. HandKPhil

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does indeed work as advertised. Noticeably smoother throttle, slightly better power everywhere. Practically no gas mileage penalty, and the device itself was relatively inexpensive and super easy to install. I would equate the improvement to going up one size on the pilot jet of a carbureted bike. It feels to me like the bike is running maybe 5% richer.
  15. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought it to help the off idle control. Engine smoothness was an added bonus. Roger has a great explanation of why it works to end the vibes. I forget all the tech stuff. The engine simply runs less ragged.

It makes sense that Rotax would build a smooth engine. It's the emissions regs that make it rough. Just a little extra fuel makes the engine run incredibly better. Likely as it was designed to.
  16. bimmerd00d

bimmerd00d Throbbing Member

Oddometer:

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I called and had an informative conversation with them earlier today. Going to place an order first thing in the morning. What setting are you guys currently running?
  17. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Perhaps we should conduct a poll to see what settings people are running.

:baldy
  18. HandKPhil

Oddometer:
    Nah, that would never work - people would probably not even notice a poll if one were started, even if we put it at the very top of the page. Probably just better to come out and ask people individually, "What setting are you running your AF-XIED at?
    JustKip likes this.
  19. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see that so many are benefiting from lambda-shifting the O2 sensor using the AF-XIED. Thanks too for the positive feedback.

In fairness though, it's not "my product" I just did extensive research with an LC-1 and then testing and explaining. We've got to credit Steve M at Nightrider for designing the HW and SW, plus setting up manufacturing and generally taking the risk on the BMW market. Credit too goes to Mike F. at Beemerboneyard, who was instrumental in bringing the product to market. Without these guys there would only be a handful of us riders with science degrees with Innovate LC-1s. Kudos to them both.
    arkmola, NCD and pklop like this.
  20. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Setting 7 here, she's smooth as silk at 3300 rpm/ 55 mph on back roads.... Literally can't feel a thing.