POLL: Good Vibrations - F800GS AF-XIED

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by utah914, Mar 30, 2016.

?

What setting do YOU use on your F800GS AF-XIED?

1. Setting 5

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Setting 6

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. Setting 7

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  4. Setting 8

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Setting 9

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. utah914

utah914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still very happy with my AF-XIED, mostly below 5800 RPM though. From 5800 to redline it's still more vibey than I'd like. Much better than before though. One issue I may be facing is the warming temperatures outside. It probably takes even longer for the full adaptation to take place when the IAT is a moving target.

Does anyone out there have a bike that is smooth from idle to redline in all gears?

Just want to set my expectations in line with reality. Happy with my bike the way it is, but there's still room for improvement.
  2. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed one a fortnight ago @ no.7 and can't overstate what a difference it makes. Smoother at and off-idle, definitely less snatchy. Gobs more torque, and a sharper exhaust note.
    I had a couple of pals take a run on it and they both made the same comment- utterly smooth and with diesel-like torque.
  3. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is very interesting. Even with the AFXied I still have the handlebar vibes around 5000rpms. I'm, also running a Leo can and the stock front sprocket. Now, I do have a rougher tire on the front as of last summer (Mitas E07) so I was thinking that was it. I may change back to the stock can and give a 17 tooth a try. Lately all my riding has been freeway commuting any way. I think my AFXied is set at 7.
  4. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really sure what you mean by "smooth response"...it still vibrates more than I'd like, but throttle response is linear to the top and pulls harder through 100mph. Before AF-XIED I considered the bike a soulless weenie bike. Now it's much more willing to perform at highway speeds, but it still numbs the hands.
  5. forwardslip

forwardslip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone can answer my newbie questions, thank you for it.

Q1: I assume that the same AF-XIED that is used for F800GS is also used for F700GS? (On the seller's page i see that for the F700GS the AF-XIED's description mentions F800GS specifically, but no mention of F700GS. Just wanna make sure there isn't a dedicated version specific for F7 [​IMG] ).

Q2: On my F700GS, when I "blip" the throttle from warm idle to ~4,500-5000 RPM, there is a popping noise on the exhaust. From the little that I know, that could be an indication of a lean fuel mixture - is that right, or could thee be other reasons for the popping exhaust? The F7 is 100% stock (see next question below).

Q3: The F7 less than 500 miles (still the basic "break-in" period). Should I wait for a certain number of miles until I would consider AF-Xied? I would guess not; in fact, would it not be better to "beak-in" the engine with a fuel mixture that is richer than the stock lean?

Q4: On an F700GS with stock exhaust, stock sprockets and with AF-Xied (let's say, at setting 6 or 7), how much does the fuel consumption increased (hopefully full-tank range isn't reduced a lot and I understand there are a lot of factors in what someone might report).

Q5: I'm pretty sure this will void the "engine" warranty? (If so, I'll have to think about this one a little).

Thanks a lot for any info!
  6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Q1: It's the same one.

Q2: They all do that. It's the ultra lean fuel mix.

Q3: It don't matter, but the engine will run better, so do it now.

Q4: Fuel consumption should actually decrease in every condition except freeway cruising. Run it on 7 or 8.

Q5: The mfg would need to prove that the changes caused damage, IF you didn't remove it before sending it in for a claim(which takes less than 5 minutes). BUT...see my response to Q3. Your bike will run cooler with more fuel, and have less chance of detonation or "popping". The only thing that might be damaged is the catalytic converter.
    forwardslip likes this.
  7. forwardslip

forwardslip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is really good info - thank you for it. After you mentioned that it takes not many minutes to install, I read up on it and it is pretty much plug-and-play. Also interesting that in some riding situations fuel consumption can decrease (while, more of what I expected, for freeway cruising it would decrease some). I gotta read up on it.

If by conditionally enriching the mixture I get a (a.) little bit smoother, less abrupt acceleration at very low speed, (b.) improved engine cooling and (c.) maybe even a little less vibration withing some RPM range, without any major side effects, this will surely be my first add-on. I love the F700GS as it is right now and this will make it better. Saweee! Thank you again for the info.
  8. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    My BMW dealer replaced my engine under warranty while the af-xied was still in place when i brought her in. I even had holes in my airbox cover. And my catalist removed. Since these things where not part of the problem the engine was fixed (in this case replaced) by them.
    Snks likes this.
  9. MikeTheMechanic

MikeTheMechanic Tsiki?

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Leo exhaust for my F800GS 2010. Now the next step is this. My question is, will AF-XIED work better with the oem air filter or does it need a more open one like DNA or K&N? Also which will be the correct setting (mode)? Or should I try with all settings?

And lastly how much better is AF-XIED than Accelerator Module, BoosterPlug and Wukaking? Is it worth the extra money?
  10. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The xied is a completely different kind of product than the others. It will work with stock or modified exhaust or intake. In all cases it sends the ECU a signal that leads to the ECU adding a controlled amount of additional fuel.

The other products you named send a signal to the air temperature input that temporarily results in more fuel added. But after a time the ECU corrects the signal to meet the fueling spec of the O2 sensor.

The reason the xied works so well is because the O2 sensor input is the final arbiter of whether the fueling is right. Whatever mixture the O2 sensor is set for, that is the mixture the ECU will eventually tune to. By shifting O2 sensor signal, the ECU has to add fuel.

For a more detailed discussion, although I'm not the vendor, please post any questions in the Vendor thread, here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...or-project-and-af-xied-for-bmw.749080/page-80, that is where the mods here prefer these discussions.
    dirtriderdan likes this.
  11. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed mine, left it on the default setting 7. I didn't notice an immediate difference actually, but I don't even think I got it warmed up, took it on a quick 3-4 minute ride.

I did start it without the seat on and the lights are on so I'm assuming it's installed correctly and reading the o2 sensor.
  12. SpottheDogg

SpottheDogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About to order something but curious about the extension harness, is this necessary?
    Also, why would someone order this vs. a Power Commander or even a DynoJet Electronic fuel control module??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    I ordered from BeemerBoneyard and I didn't need the extension harness, not sure if they all come with the same harness, my unit and harness was bagged separately. There is a thread about the Power Commander vs the AF-xiED, let me find it for you.
    SpottheDogg likes this.
  14. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    Here you go - Click here
    SpottheDogg likes this.
  15. bimmerd00d

bimmerd00d Throbbing Member

Oddometer:
    Just installed on my f700gs last week, same questions as you and it worked perfect. Mpg so far is the same for me

Q1: Same one as the F800, you do NOT need the extension cable, as it's plenty long to put under the rear seat. I zip tied to frame under seat, no issues whatsoever.

Q2: I got that as well, 13k on my 2013 F7. It still does it now on setting 6-7, I think it's just what it does. Quit revving like a jackass squid :lol2

Q3: I feel like it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't take it in for warranty service with this attached, but it shouldn't do much. It just fiddles with lean-cruise and mixture settings. It's simply an air/fuel o2 "piggyback" box. That being said, too much fuel can sometimes fry the cats. I don't think this thing is sending that much fuel to do that. If I had to guess, maybe it's going to shorten the life of the cat by maybe 5%.

Q4: I rode a few hundy on setting 6, and a few more on setting 7. It somehow seems happier on 7. I can't put my finger on it, but it is. Try 6 or 7 and see what you think. Mine's also bone stock.

Q5: It cannot "void" the warranty unless they know about it. It's by no means a permanent installation, you can just unplug it and take it in for service. They will hook up the diag machine and all it's gonna see the stock airfuel and the Bosch Motronic computer (BMSK). The only thing this box does is interfere with the readings the BMSK receives from the o2 sensor. It reads RPM and most likely throttle % and load, takes the reading off the sensor and sends an altered signal to the ECU which in turn delivers a bit more fuel. All this thing does is richen the fuel mixture at given RPM/Load. Someone jump in if i'm incorrect, but this thing by no means communicates with the BMSK outside of delivering an alternate reading off the o2 sensor.

[​IMG]
  16. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    SpottheDogg, its a pretty quick and easy install, mine probably took 30 min and thats because my son interrupted me twice and I actually pulled the regulator/rectifier off to zip tie the Af-Xied behind it real neat (it plugs in to the plug right behind the R/R that runs to the o2 sensor).
  17. SpottheDogg

SpottheDogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  18. boldham

boldham Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The first time I rode my F8GS, I was annoyed by the twitchy throttle. I bought AX-FIED and noticed a significant improvement. The throttle transition is still there, but not nearly as 'abrupt' as before. I only rode the bike a few times before installing the AX-FIED, so I can't speak to performance improvement. Nothing drastic enough for me to notice, but certainly no decrease in performance. Mileage seems about the same.
  19. utah914

utah914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding into work today in 6th gear at 5000 RPM, bike was smooth as can be. A few months ago, pre-AF-XIED, it was vibrating like crazy at 5k.

Still slowly improving above 5800 (possibly so slowly I'm making it up). I've got about 1500 miles on the AF-XIED so far.
  20. bimmerd00d

bimmerd00d Throbbing Member

Oddometer:
    Im running on setting 7, what are you guys using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk