POLL: Good Vibrations - F800GS AF-XIED

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by utah914, Mar 30, 2016.

?

What setting do YOU use on your F800GS AF-XIED?

1. Setting 5

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Setting 6

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Setting 7

47 vote(s)
    71.2%
  4. Setting 8

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. Setting 9

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Paulie M

Paulie M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started with 7. I’m going to put on at least 1000 km before I think of changing settings
    shuswap1 likes this.
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've been getting some F700 baseline data, some through the seat/handlebar vibes and some through fuel economy.

Last 3 or 4 rides of approx 350 km each, 25% FSR, at an average of 60 kph on twisty dirt and some hwy blasting north of 120 kph resulted on 3.33l/100km or better than 85 mpg (Imp Gallon). This is unbelievable mileage! The computer says 3.5l/100km, but the careful refuels say less.

I don't ride for fuel economy, but am interested to see what the gadget does to vibes, power and mileage.
  3. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anything that improves the joy of riding seems to ultimately lead to reduced mileage, even a windscreen that initially saved gas eventually didn't because it's easier to ride faster longer on highways.

You'll enjoy the AF-XIED so much you won't care whatever you end up finding in fuel economy sector.

85? Lol, I already want to die at 64 (US)
  4. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    3.33 l/100km...wow I wish. My last ride I was averaging 4.6 L/100km. However it might have something to do with me riding like a raped ape through the prairies. LOL
  5. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    Raped ape speeds, if I remember correctly, put the fuel comp in the 8.5-9 l/100km range....but I didn't properly confirm or ride that fast for very long. What I find amusing is the wife, riding her F7, same trip, exactly, consistently takes just a hair over 15% more fuel at gas up. I attribute this mostly to my use of a gear or two higher and smoother throttle, using the low end torque of the F7 to exit corners and climb hills.

In this oem tune my '14 F7 rattles pretty badly beyond 5k rpm and is quite unpleasant there and at 7k rpm truly rude with vibes. So bad, in fact, that I thought I'd bent a rim or lost wheel weights. But the vibes disappeared when I pulled the clutch in at speed. The wife's '13 feels much smoother and maybe pulls a little better in the 3.5-5k rpm range also. Interesting to contrast the 2 bikes. I'm getting eager to install the AF-XIED.
  6. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those vibes are with stock exhaust or aftermarket?

I know for me the aftermarket exhausts kill the 5k and up vibes, they are there, we ride on an ICE afterall, but so diminished you won't mind, the simpler/freer the exhaust the more relaxing revving it up on the highway gets, you quickly rev it to 7-8k without the "oh man, am I breaking it" feeling you don't have to calm down with "nope, you don't, keep revving it".

Even with AF-XIED removed and stock mixture while buzzier, is nothing like it is with stock exhaust.

On that note, the 2017 Akrapovic gets buzzier close to 7k compared to the Delkevic.
    Former has no direct flow at all, latter has the basics flow through perforated pipe into surrounding expansion chamber design.
  7. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    Bike is all stock in my previous post.
    Now, with the addition of the AF-XIED:
    So, had my first 230km ride, mostly twisties but also some high speed stuff after installing the AF-XIED. Set at what I believe is position 7, the gadget lacks numbers on its face-plate, rather has markings displayed around the dial. The install is pretty straightforward and I really didn't need to cut any zap straps or remove anything at all but did add a few to hold cables here and there....which took the majority of the time.
    First ride impressions, after letting the motor run (throttle untouched) until fan came on, is quite a bit less vibe in the 4.5 - 5,500 rpm range. Engine pulls smoothly and I'll continue to watch the fuel usage for any change. So, good impression at this point and I'll follow this up with more as the miles accumulate.

Morfic, now you're telling me I need a pipe, eh?
  8. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    OMG, I need an exhaust too.
  9. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    I'm extremely cheap, too cheap to spend $500 on a pipe but think I'll take a look at the chinese pipes that are mentioned elsewhere.
  10. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    Delkevic are fairly reasonable. Just as expensive as the Chinese or just a smidge more.
  11. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like Delkevic for their light weight and free revving past 6.5-7k (I'd have to check where I'm currently limited, only notice it Accelerating down the suicide highway entrance by my work), their length options and available "quiet baffles" giving me a lot of tuning options, the 14" I can ride without baffle, with the perforated stock baffle and the (long) solid quiet baffle. (I might cut it apart and have it welded together short at work because I would want to hear stock length solid, not solid + longer)

But for pure tone, my 2017 Akrapovic is King, with baffle removed. Just that it doesn't rev up as freely as my Delkevic past those 6.5-7k mentioned, which is why I worked on the Delkevic sound with the quiet baffles. (That it isn't as free revving wasn't obvious until after I got a Arrow header and rode my 18" Delkevic without baffle because I had an initial mounting issue with my 2017 Akrapovic and the Arrow header (it's longer than stock header and the Akrapovic doesn't have enough room to swallow that due to how it's made, I fixed it by cutting the header by 1/4" with an ez-lock Dremel cut off wheel which was surprisingly easy to control, keeping wheel inside pipe to avoid rolling off the outside))

If I had more money to burn I'd likely try the Arrow muffler as happy medium.

What pretty much all exhausts with all header combinations have in common is that you don't have the 5k vibes make you wonder if it's healthy to accelerate past it, and you enjoy zipping through traffic or Accelerating in general a whole lot more.

But exhausts are a very personal and subjective topic, so if you ask if you need one, the answer can of course only be: "Yes, yes you do need one."

-

Daniel

Oh yeah: Before/After videos online rarely give you an idea what they'll sound like in person, often the after being distorted, so yes, difference heard, just not as appealing. I'd pick by looks and satisfied customer reviews.
  12. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @shuswap1 9 is at 9 on the AF-XIED with leaner clockwise from there and richer CCW.

But always count blinks to confirm settings as the dial is lacking clicks and you could be one leaner/richer than intended.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  13. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    Bit of an update with respect to the AF-XIED I installed on my 2014 F700GS after 3 rides of 350km each:
    The green light always flashes (on power-up) the same number of flashes, (12) no matter where I have set the AF dial
    The dial has no printed numbering, just slash marks around the face.
    Zero soot in the exhaust exit.
    Fuel economy is less than before, maybe 6-9%, but I may be riding a little faster, which makes this data suspect.
    The vibes that were always starting at 4k rpm are quite a bit reduced and don't seem to occur until passing 5k rpm
    For my next ride I will turn the mixture 2 slashes to the rich side.
  14. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean the yellow light flashes twelve times?
    The green is indicating something else, not the setting.

If you locate the center you can't approach to 6 o'clock then Setting 9 is at 9 o'clock.

Turn it there and see if you get 9 yellow flashes.

Edit: but nothing smooths out the bike like a slip-on, header AND intake mod. Had reverted the intake mod for other reasons, rode with header+slip-on alone, restored intake mod this weekend, damn does it make a difference. The AF-XIED is just the icing on this cake.
    vfrpilot and shuswap1 like this.
  15. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    Here is some help to ID the settings

upload_2019-9-17_18-0-26.png
    Tigershark48, morfic and shuswap1 like this.
  16. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Paulie and Morfic, I think I'm getting closer to understanding this thing. The green light flashes 12 times on power-up. Then, after a delay the yellow flashes as expected. I had the unit set for 5 or so and have re-set for 7, confirmed by flashes. Just waiting on some dry weather to test the result. Even on 5 there was a reduction in snatchy-throttle and it pulled better from lower in the rpm range. It also produced fewer aggravating vibes above 4000 rpm. Setting 7, confirmed by 7 flashes of the yellow light: DSC02196.JPG
  17. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Yay, success. 7 seems to be the magic number for most of us. Verify the buildup of soot in the tailpipe every few hundred miles and tweek if required.