POLL: Good Vibrations - F800GS AF-XIED

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by utah914, Mar 30, 2016.

?

What setting do YOU use on your F800GS AF-XIED?

1. Setting 5

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Setting 6

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Setting 7

51 vote(s)
    70.8%
  4. Setting 8

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Setting 9

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Agree. 600 rpm difference at 70 mph has to be the result of a different gear selection.
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps he meant the beginning of the obnoxious vibes has moved from 4.2 to 4.8 rpm, which is what I think happened when I added the Af-xied
  3. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    So, dropping a tooth up front would raise rpms across the board putting it more into the higher vibration range. That would be unfortunate.
  4. inlawbiker

inlawbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not change the gearing, just the AF-XIED. My normal cruising speed is right around 70mph on a flat hiway putting me around 4800rpm, but it seems lower now. Could be my faulty memory, or the fact that I tested without my Vario bags on the bike reducing the weight and drag a little. I almost always have the bags on the bike but took them off last weekend.
  5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only way to physically change the RPM at a given speed is through changing either the sprocket sizes(frt or rear), the transmission gears or the tire size.

Installing or removing bags will not change the RPM even a little bit, neither will weight or windscreen....or anything else, except that mentioned above. The addition of the AF-XIED did shift my vibe zone upwards to a higher RPM, allowing me to cruise slightly faster before encountering the annoying vibe range.
  6. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or clutch slip.
  7. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought one from Beemer Boneyard

Gentleman there said they ship on 7 and told me 99% need setting 7 or 8

Looking forward to violating the maniacal regulations established by the psychotic EPA
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  8. inlawbiker

inlawbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took it off and re-attached everything to make sure I'm not crazy and it's hooked up correctly. For fun I disconnected the entire thing so the stock configuration and AF-Xied were both out of the loop. I started the bike expecting to see a check engine light but nothing happened. The bike started up and behaved totally normally. I'm puzzled about this, why would that be? I didn't ride the bike, just started it up.

You're right about the RPMs at speed of course, I'm hoping what I felt was just lower vibes at my normal hiway cruising speed.

Greg.
  9. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I may not have this entirely right-- but I believe the bike starts up in "open loop" mode when it is cold. During this time it just uses preprogrammed values in the computer for fueling. It takes a few minutes of warming up before the oxygen sensor starts to work and then goes into "closed loop" mode where it is using feedback from the sensor to adjust the fueling on the fly. Since the AFXIED is basically just offsetting the oxygen sensor signal it would make sense that unplugging it would have no effect when in open loop mode. Also, it takes a while (a couple hundred miles) to adapt, so just unplugging it and going for a quick ride might not be enough time for it to "adapt" back to original levels.
  10. WQFTruckster

Oddometer:
    For those that have tried setting 8 and gone back to 7, what differences did you notice at 8 that caused you to go back? I have been running at 7 for a while and just put it on 8 for a couple hundred miles for comparison. Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like it wasn't as smooth on 8 even though the power was still there. What signs should I be looking for to indicate it is too rich?
  11. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Lots of black soot on tailpipe?:hmmmmm
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  12. WQFTruckster

Oddometer:
    Not really any more than what I saw on 7. Only a slight bit of black on a paper towel after a few hundred miles.
  13. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    I got more soot residue on 8 than 7. At 6, there was none, so too lean. If it didn’t run as smooth for you on 8, that kind of indicates 7 is the best setting. Pretty popular choice. There must be a reason.

The bottom line is the factory mix without AF-XIED is way too lean for emissions. AF-XIED allows us to correct that. Try 6 and see how it runs. It should run close to how it ran from the factory. Very lean. More pronounced highway speed vibes and more twitchy on take offs. In general, not as smooth. If you really focus on how it runs, I think you'll find setting 7 to be best.

Keep in mind, an after market exhaust can change your best setting.
    WQFTruckster likes this.
  14. WQFTruckster

Oddometer:
    I couldn't tell a lot of difference in soot levels between 7 and 8--very light for both after a few hundred miles. I'll have to go back to 7 to see if it really was running better or if it was my imagination. The vibrations just seemed more pronounced on 8, which seemed odd to me. I do have a Leo Vince slip on and air box mod FWIW.
  15. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you’re close to the sweet spot.
  16. Kevin311

Kevin311 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have had an incredible experience with the Af-xied. Long story short, I have had it on 7 for about 4 weeks. I haven't noticed much on the vibe change. I haven't noticed much on the power change, either. What I have noticed while destroying the roads in the North Georgia mountains is that I find myself in 4th and 5th gear more often now where it used to be 3rd and 4th.
    Furthermore, unless I'm doing traffic maintenance during the few passing zones up here in N. GA I find myself never even getting up to 5500 rpm. I have started shifting at 5200 now. Whether I'm in North Atlanta, or husslin in the mountains I don't feel the need to go above 5200. Just a subconscious decision. I do believe that that figure used to be 5500rpm for my short shifting away from lights and out of a curve.

The vibe reduction/relocation in the Rev range is probably there. It would appear that the power increase is actually there, having written about it... It's just not in your face power increases.
    The customer service at Nightrider is also top notch. I have had MAJOR problems since purchasing the device. He vowed to do whatever he could to assist me and has. The problem is you can't fix stupid. (me)

7 seems to be fine after about 1200 miles in the last month but as I was cleaning up the bike today I decided to change to 8 to see if there are any further benefits out of the device. I'll give it a month and another 1000+ miles and see if I can remember to post about my level 8 verdict.
  17. Burgs96

Burgs96 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have found and eliminated the following rattles and vibrations on my 2015 F800GS -
    Heat shield above and behind radiator had no bolt to secure it to the frame (centre top)- I managed to install two cable ties through the hole and around the frame tube - rattle eliminated. The same cover was rattling against the engine on the left side - trimmed plastic to eliminate rattle.
    Electrical regulator - removed clip that bolt threads into and replaced with bolt, flat washer and nyloc nut - minor rattle gone.
    OEM lower luggage bars not being used on my bike - removed bar - reduced vibration.
    Front brake rotors - very annoying rattle when off-road - compressed rivets to minimise movement - rattle fixed.
    Cam chain rattle at start-up - had need to remove clutch cover and discovered bolts were little more than finger tight (no external oil leaks though) - after replacing cover and correctly tightening the cover bolts, cam rattle is reduced in intensity and the rattle time is less - there may have been some minor oil leakage internally from the oil passage that transfers oil to the cam chain tensioner.
    Steering head bearings need constant checking (at each service) - I have a short allen key to adjust bearings - no need to remove handle bars.
    Exhaust mount, lower mount near catalytic converter - check that it is not touching the frame bracket - adjust bracket if necessary.
    Gearing - I currently run 16T front and 43T rear and am very happy with the result (no noticeable difference to fuel usage).
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  18. magellan44

magellan44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Help all
    After going back and reading the entire thread I’m convinced the Af- xied would be a welcome change especially for throttle response.
    I would however like to hear from the fellows that went to a 15 tooth front sprocket and the Af-xied. I was out today for a few hundred miles and 40-50 off road. I find in my opinion that I would like a Lower first gear for descending off road trails and roads or for technical stuff. Am I correct in thinking this would help. (My bike is a 2017 F800GS). I would rather use the bikes engine to slow me down than use the brakes when I’m descending very steep technical trails. Since I’m ask this how does it effect the top end for street?

I don’t mean to hi-Jack this thread. I find this thread very informative so thanks to all contributors
  19. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i run a 15 tooth with the afxied and like it a lot. about a year ago i "went back" to a 16 tooth for about 100 miles and switched back to the 15. super slabbing, which i avoid is a bit rougher, but off road, back road, whatever twisties i can find the 15 tooth is the winner for me.
  20. magellan44

magellan44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid someone is going to be angry that I high jacked this thread. I want to find who to buy a sprocket from and use my OEM chain (4800 Miles on it)
    Being respectful of the contributors please PM me if you have any thing else to add.
    thank you