POLL: stator / alternator failure on F800GS/F650GS twins please vote!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JRWooden, May 6, 2012.

?

Please vote your situation & mileage AT FAILURE or multiple failures

Poll closed Dec 25, 2015.
  1. NO failure - current mileage 0 - 20K miles

47.6%
  2. NO failure - current mileage 20K - 40K miles

21.7%
  3. NO failure - current mileage 40K - 60K miles

4.9%
  4. NO failure - current mileage 60K+ miles

0.2%
  5. YES - one failure at: 0 - 20K miles

2.6%
  6. YES - one failure at: 20K - 40K miles

12.4%
  7. YES one failure at: 40K - 60K miles

6.7%
  8. YES one failure at: 60K+ miles

1.5%
  9. MULTIPLE FAILURES

2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    This thread has some good troubleshooting information in it.
    It likely is your stator, but best to pin things down before you start spending money.
    If you or a friend are handy with a VOM meter it's easy to chase down.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/stra...red-transit-visa-stator-or-regulator.1401970/
  2. Paulie M

Paulie M Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So reading through this thread, my paranoia is running ramped. I have a 2011 F8 with about 24K Km, and thinking it is only a matter of time before the stator packs it in. Winter here is fast approaching and I will be doing some basic maintenance over the winter. should I add this to the list, or should I just have the parts at the ready. Either way, from what I have been reading, I have been getting some mixed signals as which is the best replacement stator and R/R

Can someone with sound knowledge chime in?
  3. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    24K Km is not so many miles ... but ... it's of course hard to predict.

AT THE VERY LEAST I would install some type of voltage monitoring device so that you will have some warning.
    Generally the units do not fail completely you will loose only part of your charging capacity and can limp home...unless you are on a long trip...
    (kill all elec. accessories and pull the bulb out of your headlight if needed)

Here's what I did for monitor: https://f800riders.org/forum/showth...g-Battery-Voltage-Monitor-amp-amp-GPS-adapter

If you're replacing parts:
    For stator I'd go with Electrosport
    For regulator I'm not sure what I'd do now as the one I used from Jack at http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm
    the Cycle Electric CE 605 SB may not be available. Send Jack an e-mail see what he's got ... he's "familiar" with our issues :doh
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might not be a bad idea to start keeping an eye open for a vented flywheel on eBay, sometimes you can find them listed fairly cheap. My charging system fried at around 12k miles.
  5. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    @dpike
    I really don't wanna ... :2cry
    I read the manual and it seemed a little convoluted ....

but you're probably right................................
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    How can I change my vote???

:baldy

I earlier reported no failures at 30K miles. Now my stator has failed at 53K miles. Replaced it with an aftermarket unit. I'll be very happy to get another 30K from this one.
  7. Jersey87

Jersey87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will need to change my vote too :(

2010 F800GS.

1st failure September 2017 at 34646 miles (3 days before a 3 week trip across Europe on the TET)

Failure October 2017.JPG

Rewound in time. RR replaced with second hand from 650GS

2nd failure June 2018 at 41790 miles. Left me stranded on the side of a motorway in Sweden for 4 hours until a fellow biker kindly stopped for me, collected his van and then me and the bike and transported us to Stockholm where I could get new parts in a few days...a good outcome considering a couple of days before the bike was struggling to fire up again when I was solo in the middle of the woods on the Swedish TET!

Stockholm failure june 2018.jpg

Replaced with aftermarket (believe it was electrosport) stator and second hand RR - I was doing this under the assumption if the stator had failed it may have affected the RR. New battery had also been installed a few days earlier when the issues first started as it was the simplest option I had where I was located at the time.

3rd failure (?) November 2020 at 48900 miles. Had what I assumed was a failing battery back in January (cheap and cheerful unknown brand bought at a hardware store chain in Sweden in 2017 so was never overly confident on longevity).

Recently the starting issue has returned. Voltage drops to less than 10v on fire up and when riding battery is showing 13.5-14.0 (12.3-12.6 at idle) and 13.2-13.7 (11.9-12.2 at idle) with GPS and aux lights. I was thinking those values weren't horrific but the starting problem is always worrying when I am almost always travelling solo.

Did a voltage test yesterday across the stator output pins (?? I'm a very basic home mechanic) and they gave:

At idle
    1-2 = 23
    1-3 = 23
    2-3 = 9

At 4000rpm
    1-2 = 40
    1-3 = 40
    1-2 = 20

Removed the stator today and found this:
    IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg

The windings to me don't look anywhere near as bad as the last two failures but there was a fair amount of build up on the surface of the rotor. I'm assuming that when the bike eventually stops working all together that would be when the stator would look as burnt as the previous ones :hmmmmm

So, after nearly 6 years of ownership and 40k miles it looks like another new stator and (this time perhaps a new) RR. I'm loathe to replace the battery too though as it appears to hold charge ok and is only 10 months old. :hide

Good thing I like riding this bike eh!:loco
  8. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that is a steady string of failures.

You do not seem to be having good results from the second-hand and aftermarket components. Would you consider trying the re-designed/updated version offered by BMW?
  9. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not replace the flywheel also? Problem fixed once and for all..
  10. Jersey87

Oddometer:
    I'm keeping a constant lookout on Ebay and UK breakers websites but so far no luck in sourcing the updated flywheel.

Not sure I'm ready to pay BMW the best part of a grand for a new one...yet
    Vark likes this.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered the series style RR? Seems cheaper than the other options and from reading it seems to reduce the heat load on the stator. If I missed something, please advise?
  12. vientoymar

vientoymar Motorbikes are a drug that change my life

Oddometer:
    which is exactly the series type? the Fh020aa or the Sh775aa?
    I can't decide what to choose.
  13. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look at post #63(See link below), you will see what my Electrosport stator looked like after 20,000 miles just replacing the the RR with a series type. Added the newer flywheel and never had any more problems in 40,000 miles.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/back...xtra-crispy-stator-p0ll-thread.1120786/page-4

Good luck.
  14. Jersey87

Oddometer:
    Cheers. I did spot your post.
    Waiting on a used flywheel to come up over here. Currently looking at around £800 new from BMW.

Getting a series type RR in the UK doesn't appear to be as straightforward as in North America however. Unless someone can correct me?

Got a new Electrosport stator and RR on order. Should arrive early next week.
  15. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I have something like 60K miles on my Electrosport stator + Series R/R (including the trip on the left in my avatar which was very warm climate travels)
    I have the old style NON-vented flywheel in my 2009 model bike.

I think the Electrosport is better quality than some, but attribute my longevity to the series R/R.
    I also have voltage monitor on the bike so I will have some advance notice of impending doom ....

Here's my conversion thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890729

I'm not sure how you could source a series style R/R on the other side of the pond,
    but perhaps Jack of Roadster cycles has some ideas: http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm
    Jack is a hellova guy ... always takes care of his customers!
    shuswap1 likes this.
  16. mntman

mntman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 F650GS, had 97K miles on it, had no problems with the stator. When I took it the dealer for timing chain and tensioners replaced, they noticed the stator was looking a little crispy so had that replaced, too. New stator came from Euro Moto Electrics.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I believe the vented flywheel was released in March / April of 2012 ...
    so good chance you have the new design...

So ... they replaced the chain the "endless BMW way" (not the master-link-way)?
    Do you mind my asking about what that cost?
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    New vs. old stator:

upload_2020-12-2_15-5-9.png
    k-dmitriy and Jersey87 like this.
  19. mntman

mntman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe endless chain. They replaced all the gears, tensioners and other smaller parts along with the stator $1,600.
  20. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Wow... seems too cheap :clap