POLL: stator / alternator failure on F800GS/F650GS twins please vote!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JRWooden, May 6, 2012.

?

Please vote your situation & mileage AT FAILURE or multiple failures

Poll closed Dec 25, 2015.
  1. NO failure - current mileage 0 - 20K miles

47.6%
  2. NO failure - current mileage 20K - 40K miles

21.7%
  3. NO failure - current mileage 40K - 60K miles

4.9%
  4. NO failure - current mileage 60K+ miles

0.2%
  5. YES - one failure at: 0 - 20K miles

2.6%
  6. YES - one failure at: 20K - 40K miles

12.4%
  7. YES one failure at: 40K - 60K miles

6.7%
  8. YES one failure at: 60K+ miles

1.5%
  9. MULTIPLE FAILURES

2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hayate

Hayate ADV Monkey

Oddometer:
    Sad to say the Electrosport route is only a reasonable solution if you're really on a budget and not straying to far from home.

I'm pretty sure the heat and damage is mostly due to dirt riding in my case, but the bike is supposed to hold up to this action.

Anyway, I just burnt up my 2nd Electrosport. The first lasted a year and 15,000 miles, 2nd only 3 months and maybe 6k.

I think it's time to bite it and upgrade my '09 to the new style generator and see if that helps me get to and from work after a weekend in the mud (Reliably!)
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    that's very disappointing results.... I thought the Electosport units had a 1-year warranty but could be wrong....

Before you spring for the $1000 BMW upgrade you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890729

i have 40K miles on my 2009 and still running fine.
    I also have a monitor installed to give me a bit of advance notice that things are going bad:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...g-Battery-Voltage-Monitor-amp-amp-GPS-adapter
  3. smeghead

smeghead b00b

Oddometer:
    2009 F800GS first failure at 51k miles. Up until the failure I was seeing system voltage between 14.3 and 14.4.

Same story, thought bad battery. Replaced. Found system voltage still hovering around 13.2 and not going any higher.

I found a short to ground across all three phases of the stator and therefore didn't bother measuring the ac output. I ordered the electro sport stator from amazon and while I waited for the stator to show up I found this thread (and a few others) discussing the issue. I saw lots of pics of burnt and gunked up stators and was expecting the same when I pulled my side cover off.

However, to me the stator looks really good. There is an hugely obvious short where the insulation failed on one coil. Other than that, it doesn't look particularly heat damaged like the others I have seen pics of. And I have *not* been nice to my bike.

Interestingly enough, this very likely occurred during a very long high speed burn from AK to OR over a few days. Lots of driving with high beams and grip heaters on high flying down the alcan.

I am waiting for the rtv to dry before I crank it up and check the charging voltage, but I figured I'd share these pics since they seem to be quite different than the other failure pics.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  4. TrailmanFr

TrailmanFr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bonne année à tous !
    Oh my god, I'm the only one without stator failure in 60000+ km, in fact 85000.... Do you think, I use correctly my 09'f800gs? :D

Edit: I haven't seen the MacCardigan's post.. But my vote is alone...
  5. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know anyone that can do over 100,000KM (60,000 miles) on our stators. Most fail much earlier. You might as well order an aftermarket stator or have yours rewound. It is a ticking time bomb sure to go off when you are furthest from home on a trip!
  6. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Mine was on it's way out at 62,000 kms. Got it and the reg replaced on the extended warranty. It's the newer version so we'll see how it goes.
    If you have option for an extended warranty (mine is 3rd. party) I'd seriously recommend it! It's more than covered itself. :deal

Dave
  7. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Make SURE they install the new ventilated flywheel !!!
    It comes with the kit, but a "less than fully dedicated installer" might consider the flywheel swap unnecessary ... :evil
  8. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Yes thanks JRWooden! They said it was the new version but are there more than two versions?

Dave
  9. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    No, but I'd want to see the old flywheel. It's a chore to change rotors, but not technically difficult. Some shops fake it.
  10. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang, I need to change my vote as well. We should lobby Baldy to bring in that feature :lol3
  11. JRWooden

Oddometer:
  12. lunaticTR

lunaticTR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe my new design alternator is going down. I got the old one changed aroind 65K km in Munich. After paying that much for the whole set, I clung on the old one all the way to Morrocco and back, just in case. And after 40K km, the voltage registers down to 13.1 with heated gear on. I have not tested the alternator yet but I am sure it is going down. I will have to get the old one rewound and install it when the weather gets better. Still on stock regulator. It is time to visit the regulator treads. So, is there any reports on the new type of alternators going down?

Ps: For any spelling, grammer and smillar errors, I will blame my 7" android tablet, the cat and the side effect of the anti-biotics I am having, before admiting any fault on my English and typing skills :lol3
  13. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I asked this question a month back, and at that time, there wasn't any confirmed. So you're probably the first failure with the new design alternator. Take pictures if you remove the alternator cover, it's possible that your dealer may have only swapped the stator and skipped doing the flywheel.

This reminds me, I need to complete the series rectifier swap that I have been postponing for a while.
  14. lunaticTR

Oddometer:
    It was not my dealer. It is the one in Munich, and I am from Ankara, Turkey. But they changed the whole thing as I already have the old one with me. Well it is going to take sometime to take it off since it is snowy here. I'll take the pictures once I remove them.
    Do cnage your rectifier as soon as possible. They are the culprit here.
  15. Reaver

Oddometer:
    OK Lunatic, what's wrong with 13.1V with your heated gear on? Heated grips too? It's still charging. Was it previously higher with the same heated equipment turned on?

If you're riding the 2008 F650GS in your Sig line, and your Regulator is original, then it operates at a lower voltage by design. A newer regulator would raise the voltage by about .5v.

Just asking before you tear into it unnecessarily.
  16. lunaticTR

Oddometer:
    Yeah I forgot to mention the regular voltages. The original one had 14.4-14.5V at idle. When riding at 2000+ rpms it would drop to 14-14,1V thanks to our stock regulator as you mentioned. With heated gear on at max, at 2500+rpms the voltge would drop only 0,1-0,2V that is it would go down to 13,8-13,9V. The new one was and still is the same at idle 14,4-14,5V. But when it was new and heated gear on, the voltage would drop a little lower to 13,7V as if had less power to start with compared to old one. It was 14-14,1 at higher rpms but now it went down to 13,8V (without any extra load on) and the voltage started to drop recently down to 13,6V with heated gear on. After not using the heaters because of warm weather, a few days ago I tried it and it went down to 13.1-13.2 volts. The battery is new and does not have a short. I can charge it with solar panel easily.
    So that's the scoop. What is your verdict?
  17. Reaver

Oddometer:
    If one were to go on Ebay right now and search for an F800GT Fly Wheel Magneto they'd find a great deal on the new design rotor in PA.

My search shows all the F twins use the same #. You verify.

Not affiliated, just found it there and don't need it. You don't find used very often!

Matching stator too.
  18. TrailmanFr

TrailmanFr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big mistake, I have read too quickly this thread and reply I have more than 60K miles without Stator failure....I thought It was kilometers and not miles ....actually , 55000 miles and no stator failure...
    Sorry about that .:cob
  19. Reaver

Oddometer:
    No big deal, we've got things pretty much figured out already.

Good to see someone nailed the new design rotor off ebay. Stator's still available. If that someone needs help installing it, I've done it before. :evil
  20. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Reaver, t'was me I couldn't help myself. I have an aftermarket stator and regulator so this will make the a complete upgraded system. I'll have to look for the rotor install thread as I don't think you are in my area.

I like having a good charging system-

Attached Files: