[Poll] What makes a great ADV road?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MX2ADV, Dec 24, 2018.

?

What elements make a perfect motorcycle trip?

1. Water access (ponds/lakes/rivers/ocean)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Scenic vistas & evocative landscapes

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Curvy roads

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  4. Elevation change

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. Parks & natural areas

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. Attractions & tourist stops

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Small towns

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  8. Historic sites

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. Water crossings or fords

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. Unpaved roads (gravel, dirt)

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Underestimating routes because of what they look like on the map is my favorite way of turning an easy ride into something more memorable, so I think you're on the right track with this.
  2. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    My project will include paved as well as unpaved roads. For this first phase of the project I am trying to come up with an empirical road rating system that can be applied to all the roads in the 200 mile study area. As you suggest, the next step in my project will be to compile the best roads with input from local riders, information already in advrider and other sites like the scenic byways map you reference. Thanks for weighing in.
  3. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input, Alcan Rider. I will have to look into whether I can put my hands on free or low cost traffic count data for some or all of the study area. I have identified datasets that tell me the 'urbanized areas' (U.S. Census) that I can combine with land use and land cover data to make a very educated guess about which areas are rural in character. I also really love riding through small towns and I consider this a highlight of every trip.

I have not had the privilege (yet) of riding my bike all across this country. No doubt that the national capital region is not the best in the country for finding the best roads but there are some fine roads around here nonetheless. I'm hoping to highlight some good roads in the region that might otherwise get missed and merge information from many sources into one map.