1. eNewsletter Sign Up

[Poll]: XR650L Exhaust. What you got?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by twistedthrottle, Dec 6, 2011.

?

What aftermarket exhaust is on your Honda XR650L

1. Big Gun EVO - [url]http://www.biggunexhaust.com/ex_mx_hon.html[/url]

2. FMF Power Core - [url]http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/BikeAsList/2005_HONDA_XR650L[/url]

3. Pro Circut 496 - [url]http://bit.ly/vccuVd[/url]

4. FMF Q4 - [url]http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/BikeAsList/2005_HONDA_XR650L[/url]

5. White Bros - E2 (FYI - WB was bought by Vance & Hines)

6. FMF Ti4 - Discontinued.

7. XRs Only - [url]http://bit.ly/sD74EI[/url]

8. Supertrapp IDS2 - [url]http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...temID=611-3601[/url]

9. Supertrapp Dirt Aluminum Racing Series - [url]http://bit.ly/sCDrET[/url]

10. Thumper Racing Ceramic coated oversize header and pipe. (Cannot find this one...)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zulusafari

zulusafari Malta DualSport

Oddometer:
    What pipe did you guys put on Patrick Tran's bike?
  2. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big Gun Q-Series....its before the EVO around '05.......
    [​IMG]
  3. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say we don't.... Hey Inmates. Anyone tried successfully to put one on with an aftermarket pipe without modifying the supports or the pipe?

Kev
  4. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    After we designed the support to fit with the stock pipe Big Gun sent over a prototype pipe for him and we made a one-off support to replace the surprise pipe that arrived after development. I will have to ask Patrick if they ever went into production with that pipe or not.... I am fairly certain that the designer kept the measurements of the new support. If we find that this pipe made prodcution we will account for this in the development of an update. That is a long way off though.

Kev
  5. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yosh full system. Stainless headpipes with integrated mid, round AL muffler with a turn down I added when I worked at Muzzys. Bent stainless tubing was easy to come by. It came on the bike, looks to be fairly old. I haven't seen one on any other xrl EVER.
  6. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the Supertrapp quiet core on mine. I noticed a slight increase in performance, but thought it was loud and kind of raspy sounding. A friend gave me a lightly used White Bros, so I tried it. It was slightly louder than the ST, but not at all raspy. It was deep and throaty, plus there was a definite performance gain over the ST. For me, this pipe was a keeper.

For the record, I used the stock head pipe.
  7. jackflash

jackflash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the Largest Tire that will fit the rear with the supports on?
  8. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    The support arms come inside of the swingarm around 1/2" per side. They are very high in the sub-frame and should be out of the way up to the point of full compression. I want to emphasize SHOULD. there is no science behind that answer. Unfortunately, the bike we designed the supports on met an untimely end in Nigeria and never made it home. Maybe one of the other guys can chime in here.

Kevin
  9. jackflash

jackflash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read about him. Hope he is doing well.

Do you know what size tire he was running when he started the trip?
  10. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    We had to make a set of custom arms for him last minute. Big Gun made him a custom exhaust at the 11th hour. But I do know he was running The Mefo Enduro Master DOT knobby (110/100-18 or 4.00-18) and the arms should be of a similar in "intrusion" into the field of travel.

[​IMG]

As for Patrick (Trahan) - He had a hard fight for a while and treated his rehab like a job. Literally. I spoke to him a bout 6 weeks after the accident and he had an 8 hr daily schedule of workouts and PT. A year later (tomorrow) he will lead an adventure tour called "10 days Morocco Road & Off Road with Dakar Rallye rider Patrick Trahan". I'd say he is ahead of schedule. The doctors told him initially that he may never walk again.

Kev
  11. Grover6

Grover6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any update on this?
  12. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Sorry Grover. No update yet. I would encourage anyone who installed the subframe supports on their XR650L with an aftermarket pipe to chime in here or send us a PM with the information so we can update the website to help the next guy.

Kev
  13. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    I have the FMF Q4 also and bought a set of these. They are still sitting in a bag in my garage as I've been trying to decide if I wanted to get a different muffler, modify my current FMF Q4 or wait to see if you make an alternative. Looks like you are on that path. :freaky

Maybe you remember this pic when you first released them.

[​IMG]

If there was a little more bend in the pipe, I think it would fit. From pics of the Big Gun EVO, I think it may bolt right up. Another option I've considered.
  14. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    You might be right about the Big Gun EVO... unfortunately though no one is running that system that has responded to this poll.
  15. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    Quick update. I took off the FMF Q4 pipe yesterday just to see how far off it is. Basically where the nut is welded onto the pipe is only off about 1.5 inches. I am going to take it to a muffler place and get a bid on what it would cost to either move the nut or extend the pipe 2 inches to get the bracket on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    Well, I went the route of extending the pipe. Took a little to get it right and back on but I'm so sold on the brackets after having them in my hands, I wanted to make them work.

[​IMG]
  17. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    Any update on this? I am looking to get a Q4, but have you supports.

Chris
  18. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris.

We couldn't get a good enough response to move forward on the project. Sorry to say that without a real response (= demand) there is little upside to developing a new sub-frame support. We have no real idea which pipes to build for.

Kevin
  19. zulusafari

zulusafari Malta DualSport

Oddometer:
    Do you have a list somewhere of which aftermarket exhausts will fit the 'stock' supports you currently sell? I have White Bro. Thanks for your help.
  20. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    We do not have a list like that. To my knowledge the only pipe that fits with the Twisted Throttle subframe support is the stock pipe. As you can see a few people have modified their exhaust to fit with these supports which are super beefy and really do an excellent job.

Kevin