Pony Express track from RideWithGPS

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Eastbay Dirtbag, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    This route and track was created by Jan Bennett and posted on Ride With GPS. I have not ridden it but I thought it was worth sharing.

Her goal was to ride a mostly gravel/dirt route on a "gravel" bicycle across the west following the original Pony Express route (similar concept to the Great Divide).

https://ridewithgps.com/ride_reports/3588-scouting-the-pony-express

I compared her route to Cannonshot's and the two rarely overlap because she takes dirt/backroads as much as possible. His route ends in Wyoming. She continues to Sacramento (in her write-up she ends in San Francisco). Countdown has tracks beyond Wyoming. I did not look at those.

In her write-up she mentions taking pavement due to bad weather etc but I believe the tracks are all planned/scouted/pre-ridden and not actuals from her end-to-end trip. In other words, the tracks are the maximum gravel plan.

There are sections she mentions that will have to be bypassed by motos:
    A private ranch in Wyoming.
    Single-track near Tahoe.
    Rail-trail through Sacramento.

She does not mention it, but she might have used bicycle paths in other cities.

Attached Files:

2. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shoot, I laid out an Adventure version of the Pony Express route and have been scouting and riding it for a year and a half.
    I was able to get a track of where exactly the National Park Service thinks it went.
    Based on that, I got county road maps and laid out a route as close as possible to the original route on public roads.
    I have from Marysville KS to Salt Lake City done, was supposed to get the west done this fall but got delayed.
    Might be finishing the eastern end next week.

Also doing the Sante Fe Trail (should be finished next week), The Mormon Trail (just finished, now have to post), and the Oregon Trail (finished next summer, done to Pocatello Idaho). Have California Trail done past City of Rocks.
  3. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Pretty Cool. I love the history and adventure of the endeavor.

From Cold Springs station NV last week

[​IMG]
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott----------------was in Marysville KS not long ago--------what a neat town--------camped there among all the black squirrels. Campground in town was free with electric hookups.
    There is a rail trail that starts there and goes north in to Nebraska-----------rode my bicycle from Marysville to Nebraska and back.
    Been a while since me and you rode together.
    BigDog--------actually ...........Mark
  5. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I camped there too. The old train station looked pretty forlorn when I was there - early Aug 2018.

Wanted to be at the 3 Step event, didn't realize you were being honored! Or Doc and LDF being there.

Got another DR650 - wore the splines off the countershaft on the one you saw. Got 3 now.

Got a WRR, thinking about setting it up... pings like a death rattle when I try regular - what's the secret?
    Is the 4.7 tank the one to get?
    Got 2 others in that class - DR350SE and KLX250S - they are already set up so no hurry on the WRR.
  6. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Always ran the cheapest gas in mine-----------never ever rattled---------Dingweeds the same.
    Yeh 4.7
    Running a Honda 250 Rally, KTM 350EXC and 2019 Honda CB500X------and others ..

Went with Doc and Francine for a camp ride---------just like old times.

Mark
  7. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    I hope these tracks might save people from duplicating the effort. I had considered working out Pony Express or Oregon Trail routes myself several years ago but got sidetracked. (Actually I put together a few days worth of the Oregon Trail in Idaho before we moved. Didn't get to ride it.)

Is your California Trail track part of your Southern Route?
  8. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    I recently finished reading two books about many of the old western and southwestern trails so I've gotten the bug.
  9. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Hello Big Dog,
    Congrats on being honored at the 3 Step, it was well earned. I've sure enjoyed your ride report and videos.

We did a ride in southern AZ earlier this year and I thought of you when I saw this...
    DSC06774.JPG
  10. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    OK-------where the hell is that ?????
    GPS coordinates ???--------got to go there.
    I may have to steal that picture.
    BigDog
  11. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    N34.88348° W111.97150° off Bill Gray Rd, west of Sedona and north of Cottonwood

Feel free to use the photo all you want. Glad you like it.
  12. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much---------got it marked in my AZ gps file. I've been on the Bill Gray Road years ago with Dingweeds.