1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Poonie Packs it~

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Steverino, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    So Harpoon wants to ride and explore Forest Service Roads. OK no problem. As I was a bit preoccupied last night I did not get a chance to change to TKC's and had to go out on Tourances.

Took the long way down over Thornton Gap. It was not until I got to Luray that I realized that my left system case was open and dragging the ground in every right hand turn. :doh :stupid.

Got to Luray and we gassed up and then headed into Fort Valley. We started up FS 374 and it was not long before we got this.....

[​IMG]

Biff Boy was all excited about being on TKC's and look what it got him. :evil :ksteve It was really challenging but fun. If you just let the bike go and bounce off the ice ledges it was not bad. But then you would get to sections that were all ice and then it was really fun! :thumb

After about 10 miles of that we came across a Ranger that thought we were :poser :jump nuts! Here he is giving Harpoon crap for dropping his bike again...:evil

[​IMG]

The road was quite fun once you got beyond the ice and just let the bike do it's thing.

[​IMG]

374 I think takes you all the way to Tasker's Gap ORV area on 675. We started up the trail, but the ice prevented any significant progress, we will be back....:evil

[​IMG]

After that we headed into Fort Valley and up to 758. It was closed for some reason.....

[​IMG]

Took this interesting shot of the 7 bends of the Shenandoah on the GPS....

[​IMG]

We wandered around the eastern slope of the Massanutten Mountain Range dodging PU trucks and snow. Nothing major happened. Just a couple more shots that are pretty cool...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One last message for Poonie........had a great day dude! I am ready to go again....

[​IMG]
  2. Scot

Scot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what motorcycling is all about man. Good show!
  3. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
    Not many smileys work right now so this will have to do
    :1drink

Gerg
  4. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed it.
  5. Steverino

Oddometer:
    It will be there another day my friend! :thumb
  6. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:

That first photo looks like a hoax to me.

Here's a few others maybe?

Its easy to ride with both feet down

[​IMG]

Hard to make out but an idiot in a SUV is trying to run Steve off the road

[​IMG]
    Misc.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good ride. I don't think it ever got over 40 degrees though. Steve rode the dog out of Tourances today. It was impressive.
    [​IMG]
  7. Steverino

Oddometer:
    What is the IPA????

Yeah man, it was a great day. :thumb Loving the big GS more and more every day...

Days like today make you a better rider every day.

Hey, it was the ice on that steep section. That's why my feel were down YFF!
  8. elektron

elektron effin ef

Oddometer:
    nice, looks super fun...

most of the winter riding i do is in the city and all.. a lot better surface, really the worst part is the cold.
  9. Steverino

Oddometer:
    It was not really that cold, it was probably high thirties at that elevation. Just the white stuff was frozen solid where it did not get much exposure.

The city scare me in winter more than the mountains. Black ice sux. DAMHIK
  10. elektron

elektron effin ef

Oddometer:
    ice can be bad.. usually on the more popular roads it's all good. sidestreets and stuff are hit or miss. about a month ago i had both wheels sliding in a turn. was prolly going way to fast for a side street, but i just got off the expessway, a little bit of 'velocitation' going on. anyway i was amazed i neither went off the road or crashed... felt both the wheels moving out from underneath me and somehow caught it in time to avoid going into someones yard.

a strange mixture of terror and exhilaration.. would have to say it was damn fun.
  11. Steverino

Oddometer:
    I went down turning into the parking lot at work....no chance to save or react. No falls no fun! :thumb
  12. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had a great time!

Poon, How did you mount that Pelican case? Is it fixed? or easily removeable?
  13. Steverino

Oddometer:
    May I answer, only cause I want to do it to.....it is on a locking basepalte from TT I think. It is removable and can be secured with a key.....

It sucked! :evil
  14. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its on a Zega Top case bracket from TT as Steve said. Its an easy install and on and off with the turn of a key. Only thing is you can't run the handle behind the pass seat. I'll post a pick once my camara batt recharges.
  15. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    Ok...its on the base plate from TT, but what is attached to the pelican case itself? or did the complete kit from TT?? any pics Harpoon? The reason I'm asking is 'cause I want to something with the Pelican 1526 case that includes an inner softcase for carrying a laptop.
  16. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I have never seen that kind of stuff (snow/ice) on a bike. I would bust my butt so easy out there I would be worn out just from picking myself up.

Although it may be just another ride to y'all, that's real impressive to me --gutsy!
  17. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:

base attaches to frame, plate to bottom of Pelican, thin plate on inside of Pelican (not pictured) all comes with. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now go buy a bike.
  18. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not something to seek out there BUBB. One upside is that it's easy on your crash bars:

Twice down and the dang label is trying to peel off. :dunno

[​IMG]
  19. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    I side with the ranger, but it looked like a fun day. :thumbup
  20. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:

I'm workin on it....I'm workin it! In fact I just test rode the '95 Triumph Tiger thats listed in the "Flea Market". I'm also looking hard at the V-Strom 650 so, soon very soon...I'll be two wheelin it.