1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Poor Man Uraling the U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stitchergary, Apr 15, 2009.

1. stitchergary

stitchergary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I head out of the East entrance of Yellowstone park... Yellowstone lake is on my right (south) and the wind is bringing the gas smell to me... They had loads of gas pools around the lake, I wonder how many are below the lake??? I also wondered how this gas affects the PH of the lake and if it affects the fish??? Remember way back when someone told me Wyoming wasn't much to look at?? And then I head up the western side and found it to be amazing?? Now I'm leaving Yellowstone and heading East.. I wonder if this is the area he was referring to that was so boring?? I want to find a motel in Cody, WY and on the way this is what I see...
    [​IMG]

John in Massena, NY, these 2 pics are for you to prove I can actually find a moose...I had to travel all the way to Wyoming to do it, but finally I saw one in person.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is actually starting to look like Utah, but without all the multicolored rocks...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things are going good along route 14/16 with the wind behind my back.. that is until I get to a little town of Wapiti. It was like I walked through a door and suddenly got hit with a hurricane... I couldn't believe the wind could change that fast...Now I'm giving it all it has to maintain above 50 MPH... It's pushing me all over the place... There is U.S. Forest land on both sides of the road and campsites about every couple miles... I need to take care of my back, I don't have any food with me, and my water supply is almost exhausted... Any other time I would have been ready for a free or almost free campsite..
    There is a bluff on my left and a lake on my right...I think the wind is coming over that bluff and whipping to the lake.. The road is now wet and any oncoming car is lifting up a cloud of water spray...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I go through a three tunnels and out the other end the wind has died down considerably...I finally get to Cody and stop at the Walmart and get some veggies.. I head down the main street looking for a reasonable motel, hopefully with a comfortable bed...No Motel6 in this town, but I see an America's Best Value Inn..I've stayed at a couple and they were a pretty good deal, so I stop...I sit on the bike deciding if this is what I want?? Doesn't look that great, but I head in anyways...I ask if they have a room available, and yes makes me happy... Then I ask about the price and he says $107. I'm sure my mouth dropped to at least my waist...I asked if I heard right and in an expressionless reply he said yes... I told him I 'd been on the road 9 weeks and have never had anyone tell me a price that high. The expressionless face just looked at me...I guess I'd feel the same way if I told people an outrageous price and didn't want to hear any shit back... We didn't get into the specifics if that included tax or not because I headed out the door...So I contine through the town looking around and see a sign for a KOA. I didn't want to stay in a tent tonight , but I can't afford $100+ either. A few miles outside of town I stop into a very nice KOA...Playground, pool, all sorts of entertainment. I ask the price for a tent site... $35.99 was the answer... I paid $34.99 for a really nice motel on Camelback Rd. in Scottsdale, AZ and they think a 4'X7' piece of grass is worth $35.99???? My suggestion, if you want to burn money, Cody, WY can help you out... It's getting dark but I head out... I even thought of setting up the tent beside the road, but not within sight when I saw a barbed with gate open...I even started riding down the road, but then thought about the owner might be back there and turned around... 48 miles later I found a place in Greybull. $45+tax for the night. Of course my first question is whether they have internet and he replied in the positive..I walked in and wasn't real impressed. I couldn't get connected until I went to the office, then when I got back to the room I was disconnected after uploading two pics...Oh Well!!!
    The owner mentioned that I missed the big storm..He motioned to the limb laying in the yard saying it fell down awhile ago from the wind...Maybe that was part of the wind I hit earlier... He was out sweeping up around the front of the rooms from 9:30pm till after 10:00pm. As I spent more time in the room I started liking it better. It was obvious it was an older room, but everything was clean and freshly painted...They seemed like they tried to accomodate everyone with a fridge and microwave in the room and had a full canister of coffees for the coffemaker...This place grew on me... very simple, but homey too...
    [​IMG]

The next morning I took some pics outside...
    [​IMG]

They even had a barbeque for the customers, and a lot of nice flowers around..
    [​IMG]

I'm heading out around 10:00am and this is the temperature..
    [​IMG]

I went through a very pretty area and a bunch of pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kept trying to take a pic with the wind blowing the flag, but it took me about 5 tries before I was satisfied...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    :evil So you escaped!!! Went to see Mr Cobb again today thikning you might be there (you passed by 10 feet from my campsite by the way!!!) but no sign of you... He said you knew his staying dates at the campgrounds... what's up with that Gary? I thought you wanted to meet him... You also went 20 miles by his house up North without stopping... :huh . We are starting to get ideas now... :evil Anyhow... had a great time... We have ourselves have been on the road now for three years and the first time we meet him. Wish you had... just an awesome person all around.
    Have a great one...
    Ara & Spirit
  3. ramblin66

ramblin66 HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer:
    Early morning, July-4th..
    Catching up on your RR while the family is still sleeping..
    Looking forward to a busy family day capped by an evening of fireworks..

Just wanted to say THANKS again for this great RR..
    and especially on the 4th of July... your photos are a great reminder of how beautiful this country is..

Cheers.
    :norton
  4. SnowyMtnRider

SnowyMtnRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pictures. My computer setup has 3 monitors. I keep downloading some of you fantastic shots and place a different one on each monitor as the desktop image. That way I get to enjoy (in a small way) the scenery and the joy of your trip.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Mark
  5. stitchergary

Oddometer:
    Got up at 3:45am hoping to be on the road at 5:00am.. I slept really good last night for the first time since Kalispell, MT. Two short days riding on smooth roads for a change, plus time, and as of this morning the back feels great...I'm going to go out on the lawn and do backflips I'm so happy..

But, Since Wyoming the computer is acting up. I would connect at a motel and many times the speed would go from 54 Mbps to 1.0 Mbps once I started using it...I was upset at the motel in Greybull, WY but then it's done it at every motel that had internet at one time or another... I had the card that connects to the internet changed just before I left on this ride and wonder if that's gone bad again or bad connection.. I'll take it in once I'm home...

I should be home probably Tuesday and will probably complete this stage of the report from my home computer... This is my thoughts, and will be
    subject to change at my whim. After getting caught up with everything at the house and seeing visiting relatives I want to show everyone my back yard. No, not the garden, but my usual stomping grounds including the Thousand Islands, the Adirondacks including Lake Placid, then venture over to Vermont, New Hampshire, and possibly Maine. It will be back to the slow pace I enjoy. I hope this connection continues until I get this sent out... Gary
  6. preacher dan

preacher dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    outstandin trip gary,i enjoyed ridin along...thousand islands is one of the prettiest places i have ever been and tell people of it often...i will enjoy your pics....thanks again....dan'l
  7. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
  8. ClarkA

ClarkA Power sleeper and eater

Oddometer:
    Where are you? Did I miss something?:huh
  9. britman

britman Britman

Oddometer:
    stitchergary wrote in the post you quoted

I should be home probably Tuesday and will probably complete this stage of the report from my home computer...
  10. shanzoskeleton

shanzoskeleton n00b

Oddometer:
    It'll be a day late, but I'll have a "birthday beer" :freakyLabatt's Blue Light waiting for you at the Vet's tomorrow.:beer

I'll make sure the girls keep it cold for you.
  11. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NO!! You must not go home! Keep riding, don't stop... please? :eek1
  12. Lost Soul

Lost Soul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trip Gary!!! I've been traveling through your words and camera lens since you started this adventure. It's a great report!!
  13. Wallybob

Wallybob History Geek

Oddometer:
    This has been a pretty cool ride, and ride report.:freaky
  14. knuckle

knuckle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gary for being one of them fellows from up yonder ways you did good. You got me to thinking.:wink:When we went through Glacier National Park we good only go bout halfway and had to turn around. Brought back a lot of memories. You don't have to be on a big cc machine to travel the USA. Just slow down and ejoy whats out there. Great job.
  15. Caymen8

Caymen8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Gary!

I continue to be impressed with your excellent photography and your very entertaining descriptions of your ride. Having lived in Colorado all my life, I've seen many of the places you've been to out here in the West. However, there are many that I haven't seen (like Glacier Park) that I now want to see. Thanks for the super RR! :super

With regards to your back, I am amazed that you went as far as you did without problems! I have a "sensitive" back, and the single most helpful accessory for my touring has been a backrest. I've got one on my Harley, and I can't believe how much difference it makes on long rides. I don't know if they make them for Urals or not, but it might be worth checking into for your next adventure. Ride safe!
  16. ClarkA

ClarkA Power sleeper and eater

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm obtuse, but I still don't know where he is?:huh
  17. britman

britman Britman

Oddometer:
    HE WILL COMPLETE THE REPORT ONCE HE GETS HOME.

CLEAR NOW :eek1 :eek1 :eek1
    HOLY MOLY:lol3
  18. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'VE loved every bit of your report...first thing i do every morning is to check out your trip. i'm anxiously awaiting your backyard. I may never get outwest, but i will get up north. 30 years ago, i rode my bike from va beach to ny city while in the navy. then one weekend i rode up to the west point area and i thought it was beautiful. i've always wanted to go back for an extended tour, camping only. THANKS FOR THE ARMCHAIR VACATION :)
  19. stitchergary

Oddometer:
    Actually, not too quick... I arrived back home in Gouverneur, NY at 5:45pm on my 53rd birthday of July 6th having traveled 14,131 miles over 30 states in the most incredible experience of my lifetime...So many great scenes of our country combined with so many opportunities meeting such great people.. I've said this before, but it's worth saying again..if you watch TV the world is full of bad people...If you've got the guts to set out and explore you'll find that most of the people are just nice people interested in your journey..... this was what greeted me at the local VFW, a birthday drink from my friend Liana...
    [​IMG]

My friend Labatt Blue Light... I tried yesterday to upload pics to my home computer but then couldn't figure out how to get the smugmug icon on Picasa. I gave up and now I'm doing it on my laptop... Maybe I can get this figured out and get things caught up... I spoke yesterday with my friend Joe Hunter who after reading my post, that I wanted to update this RR with a ride around my back yard and including the Thousand Islands, offered to take me on his boat for a picture taking session... That area is so beautiful I hope we can arrange it because it would be a great addition...

Quick question...has anyone rode their Ural around the world???? Not that I plan on doing such a feat, but I tried googling to get the answer and didn't get any results????
  20. xprovince

xprovince Adventurertypeperson

Oddometer:
    Gary it was a treat meeting you on the 101 in June on my first big solo ride , thanks for the chat and its good to hear you made it home safe and sound . Great ride report and love the pics.

Cameron