Poor Man Uraling the U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stitchergary, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Oilybimmer

Oilybimmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us Gary, I have thoroughly enjoyed this ride report and all of its superb photographs.
    Best regards
    Stewart
  2. KJP

KJP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    like the others I want to thank you for your great RR. I missed it for a couple of days and when I got caught up I saw you went through my town on your way to Glacier. Anyway glad to here you made it home safe and your pictures were well done.

Kevin
    2001 Ural Patrol (Yogi)
  3. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Welcome home neighbor.
  4. Wallybob

Wallybob History Geek

Oddometer:
    Glad you are home, but I am going to miss the ride report:lol3:lol3

It was nice meeting you along the way, and if you come back into this region, let me know! You at least have an offer of a place to stay.:freaky:freaky
  5. cpres

cpres Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awsome trip great photos, now for the rundown on the Ural will you ever set upon it again:D . Glad you had a great time and a safe trip.
  6. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Gary,

We just arrived home from our vacation to Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier National Parks, what a grand time we had riding the Ural through all the Parks. :D

I am glad to hear and read that you made it home safe and sound. We arrived at the camp ground in Yellowstone at 5:pM, about a half hour after you left. Darn it, I had hoped to meet you whilst you were on tour. Thanks for the great ride report and the fun of reading about your sojourn across the USA. :clap :clap :clap
  7. stesun

stesun stesun

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gary, I followed you from the first day. Great job reporting. I have been interested in the Ural Patrol for some time, I just might get one.:clap
  8. Dratharr

Dratharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Gary,
    Great report I followed it everyday; I liked it so much my wife and I have been retracing some of your route, we were on the 101 on Sunday, and have been working our way slowly back home!

Thanks again for a great report.

Matt
  9. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Gary, I'm so glad we had a chance to meet, albeit briefly. This has been one of the most enjoyable Ride Reports around these parts, and I'm going to miss reading it. I'm looking forward to you sharing your future trips with us. If you ever get back to Seattle, we're all moved in and settled with a spare bedroom waiting for you. And I'll even find some Labatt's!
  10. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Quick question...has anyone rode their Ural around the world???? Not that I plan on doing such a feat, but I tried googling to get the answer and didn't get any results????[/quote]

Ahhhh around the world, well he's not doing it all on a
    Ural, but a good portion of it......http://thetimelessride.com/index.htm
    He's taking 10 years for his trip..........it is a GREAT on-going ride report and this guy is very tough, riding & camping in Winter conditions. He pretty much tore down his new Ural and rebuilt / upgraded everything before starting the Ural portion of his trek.

A few years ago I read a blog of a couple attempting to ride a Chang Jiang & Sidecar from Beijing across Mongolia & Russia.....in over 90 days they rode a total of 13 days...the rest of their time was spent repairing or hauling the bike by truck / train to get it repaired in remote Mongolia. They finally abandoned the bike in Russia, and the husband flew to Germany to pick up a BMW sidehack rig to complete the trip. The Chang Jiang was poorly built with sub standard materials. They started out with 4 extra carbs and all failed, clutch failures, transmission failures...you name it and it failed, finally when the engine blew up, they gave up ( they were also $$$$ tapped out)............Moral of the story.......don't attempt to go around the world on a stock Chang Jiang unless you have a truck load of spare ones with you.
  11. sraber

sraber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gary, I have enjoyed your writing, pictures, and humor every night for weeks and hope you will continue with updates in your life. Cheers! :clap
  12. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gary,

I am now considering not selling my 06 Gear Up. Good job!

Glad you're home.
    Wish I could buy you a cold one.:freaky
  13. Lano

Lano I was so much older then

Oddometer:
    Gary, I am just like everyone else in that I have enjoyed your trip so much. You wrote your report in such a way that we felt as tho we knew you. Your choice of rides would not of been my choice. Thank goodness you had very little mechanical trouble. I do understand the hack thing. I have a Sportster that I put a Velorex sidecar on. It's fun. Your Ural did make you stop and smell the roses. Thank you for sharing. Bob
  14. ZONKR

ZONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome home and congratulations. You and the Cob are inspirations to the rest of us Uralistas. Great meeting you when you were in Mesa. The Gear Up and I are taking off next week for Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico.

Happy Birthday!

Max
  15. Dodger5440

Dodger5440 n00b

Oddometer:
    Not Around the world, but Gary Smith, http://burrohas3wheels.com has ridden around both North and South America on a URAL.

RJ
  16. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gary,

I discovered your RR 3 days ago and spent all day Tuesday reading all (then) 48 pages. I joined AR just to let you know how much I enjoyed reading about your adventure. I'm leaving for a month with a buddy, me on my Electraglide and him on his VStorm, August 2. We will be following many of the routes you described, all be it at a less leisurely pace. Camping and motels for us too. While we expect to be preparing our own food on the road, I'm not signing up for your now infamous breakfast salad.

Ride on,
    Frank
  17. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan n00b

Oddometer:
    Gary,
    What an amazing journey. I love your sense of humor and unique story telling. Glad you had a safe trip. Thanks so much for taking us long. :beer
  18. White Tenere

White Tenere 44 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Great trip, thanks for sharing:beer
  19. jntroisi

jntroisi n00b

Oddometer:
    My God, that is beautiful. It reminds me so much of British Columbia. It's easy to see by these simliar landscapes that it is sometimes only artificial governments that divide us. Not just the US and Canada. Food for thought.

20. ClarkA

ClarkA Power sleeper and eater

Oddometer:

Thanks for the ride! To rip off the Dead, what a long strange trip it's been:freaky :freaky :freaky :freaky :freaky :freaky