Poor Man Uraling the U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stitchergary, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Hiya Gary! Great to see that your trip came to a happy conclusion.
    It waz great to meet you, and have a chance to spend some (short) time with you.
    Sure gets FLAT heading back East....don't it??? :)

didya ever get yourself a kidney belt to wear on the way home???
  2. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gary, I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip! will you be continueing your future travels in this thread or starting a new one? I really want to see what's up in your area of the country.
  3. ClarkA

ClarkA Power sleeper and eater

Oddometer:

The ferries across Lake Michigan out of Manitowoc or Milwakee WI are the perfect way to avoid the "Chicagoland "craziness of I-90/94/80 and nice interludes to rest and catch your breath.
  4. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Very true. The ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington is the S.S. Badger - a slower ferry. Milwaukee to Muskegon is the Lake Express - a fast ferry.
  5. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    Love this ride report, just have a favor to ask of everyone else who is following along. STOP QUOTING ENTIRE POSTS, the 300 extra pictures per page makes it less fun to follow along.

6. Burrito Bandito

Burrito Bandito burrito eater

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Hi Gary!

This has been a really great Trip Report! :clap :clap :clap I found it a few weeks ago and just finally caught up today. Keep up the good work!

Donnie
  8. Biscuit82

Biscuit82 n00b

Oddometer:
    If you ever go back thru the Badlands see it at sunset. on a personnal note now that your back home after a trip like that how can you stand be couped up in a car and how bad is the urge to ride again
  9. ramblin66

ramblin66 HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer:
    +100

Just caught up with the last few pages..
    Wanted to say a quick THANKS again for sharing..

Something about the casual style of this report made it really great to read...

Cheers.
  10. engineerdad

engineerdad n00b

Oddometer:
    Gary:

I had been in "lurker" mode for several months until just a couple of weeks ago when I finally bit the bullet and walked in to join the rest of the looneys here in the bin. Your RR was one that initially attracted me to this site at the beginning; I thought "How cool would that be?" I just finished reading every post over the last few days and now feel somewhat like I was on the ride with you. Excellent job chronicling your travels! Your RR combined with some of the others here will keep me coming back everyday to see what's going on outside of the small spot I occupy in this great big world.

A couple of months ago I couldn't even spell "Ural", now I want one so much I'm trying to figure out what I have to sell to get my ticket out of this looney bin and back into the world.

Keep it up!
  11. shepoutside

shepoutside Canadian - eh!

Oddometer:
    somewhere in Ontario, between many Great Lakes !
    :clap Wow, What a RR, glad I had a free day to be able to take it all in.

I"ve been thinking of a Ural, and after your report, I'm Sold. Thanks again for your time taking Us along with you.
  12. NoGear

NoGear n00b

Oddometer:
    Northern Kentucky where Bourbon meets Education
    I found this page while looking for information about Urals. I currently ride a FJR but since I'm over in the middle east right now (left Iraq last month now sitting in Kuwait) my wife sold my Jeep Rubicon. Last year I put 22,000 miles on the bike in 6 months and only 4,000 on the Jeep and most of that was in one trip. I'm thinking about replacing the Jeep with a Ural since what I want is something for snow and ice but I was worrying about the realibility of a Ural. Your RR has solved that question now the only issue I have is the speed. I started reading this RR at work yesterday and didn't get anything accomplished! I read it when I woke up till I had to come back into work and now I've wasted most of the night on it again. It isn't the best written nor are th pictures the best quality but together they make this is the best RR I've read.

I joined this forum just so I could tell you that.
  13. BOUNTY HUNTER

BOUNTY HUNTER Bavarian Bomber Wrench

Oddometer:
    The reliability of the newer (2007+) Ural is MUCH better than the older models. The warranty is also quite impressive w/ the new models (2 years unlimited mileage). I sold my FJR1300 and bought an old Ural a few years ago. Haven't missed it at all! I think you'll be happy w/ a Ural too. Thanks for your service and welcome to ADV.
    P.S. You might also want to check out Soviet Steeds forum also.
  14. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    I'd take the FJR....I love those things!!! :clap
  15. BOUNTY HUNTER

BOUNTY HUNTER Bavarian Bomber Wrench

Oddometer:
    I did too but the Ural has been a whole lot more fun.
  16. jackattack

jackattack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are rice fields, they use laser to terrance the field, the birms allow the terraces to hold water. The terraces are difficult to see, but it works, Rice is a pretty big commodity in Mississippi and Arkansas
  17. buddha

buddha buried in the sand... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I've got both an FJR and a Ural. I probably ride the Ural more often than the FJR, but the FJR still gets more miles every year, because I turn to it for longer trips. It's just so much faster and more convenient.

The Ural is better in the snow, though. :D

The Ural is also better to take the kids for a ride.. or the dogs.. or just me on a lazy afternoon. Mine runs 65mph easily, so has plenty of go for the blue highways which I tend to keep it on.

BTW, I would argue that a 2004+ is a Modern Ural as well. At least they have a Denso alternator which seemed to fix one of the most common problems on the earlier units. I have a 2006 with 14k kilometers (fairly low, I know) and I've not had a problem with it yet. It starts and runs everytime. The best thing you can do to prevent breakdowns is regular maintenance. If you're religious with that, you should be good to go.
  18. solorider40

solorider40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this report Last Monday and have been enjoying it. My 1st Grandchild was born last October, and I keep telling my wife I need to look into getting a Ural so I can take her riding when she gets old enough. After reading this, I am definitely going to look into one. :D This looks like allot of fun.
  19. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    I found this thread three days ago and haven't done much but read it since then. Thank you Gary for taking the time to put it together. You have given me additional confidence to take my Ural across the country in a couple of months. I bet you did help get a few more sold since you wrote this a few years ago. Let me know if you end up riding down in the Finger Lakes.
  20. rxcoop

rxcoop persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer:
    been reading it too...working midnites at the hospital. 2 points i'd like to make:

gary...before your next trip, learn how to work the 'where to' function on the GPS. will show you gas stations, restaurants, etc. which direction and how far....a BIG help.

others...it is NOT necessary to quote a post with 20 pictures to simply make a comment. maakes it tough on those with limited bandwidt.

that is all...:clap