Poor XR200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by eatpasta, May 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    I found this poor XR200 on CL and picked it up last weekend if for anything else, it needed to be rescued but also because I have a real soft spot for those air cooled XRs and wanted something small my wife could ride on camping trips etc.

Not sure if it was the PO but someone rattlecanned it green and didnt bother to take the plastics off the bike....

:fpalm

It starts first kick and runs really nice - no smoke - no drama but will not run with the choke all the way out so I clearly need to through the carb (they rattlecanned that too :fpalm )

These are cool little bikes! I know this one can be brought back around but its going to take some love...

How many years old you think that air filter is?? Im guessing at least 10

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG
  2. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for rescuing it, if you hadn't gotten it, the next owner would probably "cafe" it somehow.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  3. eatpasta

Oddometer:

:lol3

I havent even really started on this one yet as Im finshing up a top end for my sons XR70 but I pulled the air filter off just for giggles yesterday to see if I could find a replacement (as clearly the stock airbox is ruined) and it was just zip tied on....

im also trying to figure out what the hell is the other air filter in the airbox - ive never seen that before
  4. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I have been making some progress lately.

In working from home with two little kids around, I have been really happy to have a few projects around to keep me sane. Something about working with my hands is therapeutic.

First order of business was to get that hideous green color off the plastics. It looks like this bike was red then black and THEN green....

IMG_2549.JPEG

IMG_2554.JPEG

next was the street legal setup, which was hopeless and a rats nest to boot. I may try and make this street legal again but not today...

IMG_2564.JPEG

IMG_2570.JPEG

this is what came out!! it probably doubled the weight of the bike

:lol3

IMG_2568.JPEG

next was the tank which still needs a little bit of attention but it still came out pretty well

IMG_2573.JPEG

IMG_2574.JPEG
    It still needs a lot of work but aesthetically its in a much better place. Next is a carb soak and trying to get the rest of the overspray off of the frame and engine

The bike came with a recovered seat but its blue. I will probably recover the seat that it came with in that black and red Honda cover as I love the way that looks.

but for now....

IMG_2136.JPG

This bike has already paid for itself as my daughter LOVES it. its very quiet and geared very low so I can ride it in our tiny front yard.

E97D2058-FEB4-4DAC-BC7D-9824B6CE98D1.jpg

of all of our bikes, she likes the 200 the best. She took her bunny into the garage yesterday to go 'ride' with him

IMG_2236.JPG
    RustySpokes and xrmattaz like this.