Popularity of Club Style Bikes

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by n8mandy, May 17, 2019.

1. n8mandy

n8mandy Just hangin' around

Oddometer:
    The influence of the 1%er clubs and Sons of Anarchy have really affected the popularity of club style bikes up here in the Bay Area.

Living up in the Santa Cruz Mountains the vast majority of bikes that I see around the mountain either look like this:

upload_2019-5-17_21-26-14.jpeg

or like this:

upload_2019-5-17_21-26-58.jpeg
  2. CbDude

CbDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, they are heading to Starbucks too
    liberpolly, n8mandy, flei and 5 others like this.
  3. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    As an old geezer who somehow survived the Bay Area era of the '60's I really don't care what a club bike is.

At that time very extended front ends, some with slugs that could snap hitting a pothole and twisted square section springers welded up by porch railing makers were cool. Then we get to brakes or lack there of. Front brakes, uncool. Remember "chopper stopper" brakes? They were a bicycle brake fitted to a front wheel to hold your cool custom at a stoplight on a hill, maybe.

A stupid award should also go to the moron who invented the spiked gas cap. I noticed Orange County Choppers, Paul Jr. Really likes unrideable bikes with lots of spikey things sticking out. Great for the boys in a crash.

If you feel compelled to follow SoA design of any era you're not just a poser you are a Darwin Award finalist.
    SportsterTom, spo123, frog13 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Poser, yeah. But the Darwin award? At least the bikes remain rideable.
  5. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Blood, yes indeed the TV bikes on SoA are very rideable. That's because they are for actors with low rider skills. The club bikes I see all seem to have over the head apes and 21 inch front wheels. Admittedly that is better than the Easy Rider chopper style of the '60's.

I just can't understand why you would ride a FLH with batwing fairing and apes over the windshield. Get back whips are another rant. If that's what you want, fine. But I've been riding over 53 years and as a geezer I have strong opinions as to what's stupid. As I said I'm surprised I survived my youth.
  6. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    What's the distinction between "club" style bikes and ADV style bikes? Strikes me they're just different styles for different clubs.
    AwDang likes this.
  7. Shooter1

Shooter1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    different strokes. different folks.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    One reason is that there isn't that many farings styles for harleys. Center in the second pic actually works to block wind while the first one mainly blocks the torso.

But the reality is that cruisers all more or less look the same, just like most sports bike, just like dirt bikes, etc. Jay Leno said it, about how conservative motorcyclist are, how things looks and where things go, they just don't change much.
  10. Mykola

Mykola Stoked

Oddometer:

Imagine how much faster he would get there if he was on an actual fast bike, and how much more he'd have to spend when he got there!

:hide

I'm poking a little fun at myself here too, as I've basically made my Super Glide into a modern T-Sport; people will do what they do to their bikes because they got into or bought into an idea of what's "cool" to them.
  11. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So T-bars and a T-sport fairing make you a poser? Good to know. image1.jpeg
    Ginger Beard, rauchman and TheHeretic like this.
  12. n8mandy

n8mandy Just hangin' around

Oddometer:
    Hey, for me it's just following trends.

I'm poking a little bit of fun at the tendency to pretend to be a 1%er, but the truth of the matter is, if you want an American cruiser that handles better than stock, the outlaw clubs modify their bikes to do so.

The comment about the un-rideability of choppers made up above by Buzzard II misses the difference Frisco style or club style cruisers vs show type cruisers.

The whole point of going 2" or 4" over was to increase ground clearance. Most guys that I know on the forums who lengthened their forks just a few inches and didn't change the rake state that their bikes handle better, not worse.

Also, I guarantee you that the real deal club riders weren't using slugs. They put a ton of hard miles on their bikes, so they have a tendency to know what works and what doesn't.
    Trackjunkie21 likes this.
  13. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Cruisers aren't really my thing, but there's nothing inherently wrong with them. Lots of guys like the style and the Vtwin power. Different strokes for different folks.
    rauchman and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  14. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the big deal is. From what I've seen, the Club Style bikes focus on suspension and engine performance, maxing out the bike's perfomance. I would guess the majority of them are a lot of fun to ride and handle reasonably well.
  15. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see nothing wrong with the bike in the top example pic. Twin disks, quarter fairing, mid controls and suspension with good ground clearance. Should be a good riding bike, actually looks a lot like my commuter.
    rauchman likes this.
  16. HellFishTat

HellFishTat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I wanted HD a few months ago. I started listing what I really like about riding, and what different types of motorcycles provide.
    This is from HD, 2019 Street Glide Spec's
    2019 Street Glide Special.jpg
    Then I started thinking.....
    Lean Angles.jpg

I'll stick with a sportier bike. I don't know how close I get to the 58 degrees mark, but my brother has said on many occassions, you're going to fall on your head if you keep that up.
  17. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    I dunno; I've ridden all kinds of bikes over many years and a lot of miles.

I do like Harleys and put up with their limitations and idiosyncrasies because, well, I like them.

My Suzuki 1250 Bandit, at less than half the price of a not even comparable Harley, does it all for me - but leaves me yearning.

As for "Club Style" bikes, I don't see it as a 1%-er thing but more as the the latest iteration of modifications for the sake of individualism - albeit in a group/conformity setting.
  18. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the sake of individualism they all build "me-too" bikes.