Port Angeles Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Reeds Moto, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden Cannon Cocker

Oddometer:
  2. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Therapy, not a cure, but headed west along the strait on Friday. Highway 112

Pillar Point

[​IMG]

I was going to head down FR30 and maybe up to the lookout but lots of truck tracks coming out of there so headed on past Pysht to FR3006, an old logging road that goes from the Burnt Mountain road over the hill to FR30. Like a lot of the logging roads, it stays open because people use it, not because of maintenance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got over to the dark side of the mountain, everything was dry but only down about 1/2". Those Shinko big blocks don't have very good sideways traction. I might get as much as 2500 miles out of it. With all due respect to my Ural I really believe that 94 hp to one wheel will propel you better than 41 hp to two wheels. But I'm not selling the Ural.

Oh yeah, I put a truck box on the back of the car and moved the gas and water directly above the wheel. The car is so light that you can really feel the weight distribution unlike the Ural where if it is handling funny a couple of guys will have to get out of the car. The box is pretty light for a truck box but perfect for the sidecar. The nose of the enduro sidecar acts like the big bubble on the front of a semi trailer and still got ~35 mpg at 60 mph on the highway.

I should have taken a picture down the washout. There was actually room to get the outfit past with whole inches to spare, it's just that there's something about 200 feet of free fall that make me a little unnerved. Age I guess. And no, you do not fight your way downhill. Not in this country. Sometimes gravity is a really good friend and you don't want to turn it into your enemy.

[​IMG]
    rg sw wa., Fabricator, NSR400 and 3 others like this.
  3. Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden Cannon Cocker

Oddometer:
    I think I saw you at the Elwha Gas Station yesterday? If you're referring to Klosche lookout you wouldn't of made it. A group of us went up the north side yesterday from the 30 and we hit snow. I'd say we have another two weeks until it's clear.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I don't think I got above 2000' and in the shady north side spots it was still a little greasy but no snow. Two wheelers would have had no problem with that washout. and if you look at Google Earth it looks like the bridge on the NF30 side is still there.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  5. Reeds Moto

Reeds Moto That La-Z-Boy will kill you.

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain with the Shinko tire... Cool AT setup man!! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the day. One question, how many cans of a certain frothy beverage can you carry in a setup like that? :drink:rofl
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    That box is 17 x 18 x 24. Screw luggage we're doing cargo. Beer by the case. All those years of strapping things on piled on top of each other, now just stuff it in and get somebody to hold the door closed while you latch it. The pressure helps in unpacking.
  7. Reeds Moto

Oddometer:
    Oh man, that's 7344 cubic inches!!:clap Plenty of room! Brilliant!

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 10.33.56 AM.png
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. SmokeRing

SmokeRing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another snow report. Still no-go on NF-29, stopped at 3000' (instead of 2200' on 4/17). Another 1/4 mile or so and I would have reached the junction with NF-2922, where there is a good view of Mt. Olympus, 20 miles to the SE. NF-29 only gets 200' higher, and it's probably already clear past this patch of snow. Notice a solo rider walked their bicycle through here in the last few days - nice job.

NF-29_3k.jpg

I returned to Hwy 101 and headed west a few miles to the Sol Duc Salmon Hatchery, a nice quiet spot with a boat ramp.

SolDucRamp.jpg

There were a lot of motorcycle on Hwy 112 yesterday!
  9. Reeds Moto

Oddometer:
    There were a lot of motorcycle on Hwy 112 yesterday![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the report.:*sip* It was so cool to see all the bikers yesterday. I bet we saw 50 or more. Today is even better, so many bikers are out riding. From my place we can see them coming through PA heading E. Too many to count. Keep the rubber side down everybody. Unless, of course, your log hopping or puddle jumping.:nod
    rg sw wa. and dammitdave like this.
  10. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to predict where the log trucks are in a cluster? I mean other than sharing the road. And I imagine the trucker wouldn't be in too good of a mood if he spent the morning cleaning motorcycle parts and blood from between the dual wheels. Would the mill know?
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since most harvesting is currently coming from state and private lands the DNR might have a list of active logging areas. dd
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  12. SmokeRing

SmokeRing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The forest roads between Quilcene and west of Sequim are clear of snow. There was a very small amount beside the road on NF-27, west of the high point about 3,580'. The route is in good shape, pretty smooth except for the occasional flurry of potholes, which can be dodged. It was busy for a Monday, with about 10 moving cars and pickups, and the same number parked at trailheads.

NF-28_NF-27_map.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Reeds Moto

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the update.
    RedWolf likes this.
  14. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    An FYI from the south end... Wifey, the pup & I took a 4WD ride and verified that FS 2441 still had the cabled ecology blocks across the road at the intersection with FS 2464 from the Maple Fire closure. This was on Friday (15 MAY). The last closure notice posted on the ONF website said that it was to be lifted on 14 MAY, and the closure notice was removed from the ONF website on 15 MAY, which I verified that morning.

We then ran up FS 24 and the closed signs were still up at the intersection with FS 2480 - didn't run up to the end to verify barricades, but figured they would be there given what FS 2441 showed...

FYI2 - FS 2419 (Mt. Ellinor Rd.) and FS 2464 remain closed due to C19.
  15. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I rode up the Hamma Hamma last week a sign there said it was closed for logging operations. I should have cross posted that info here. dd
  16. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where was the sign? At the bridge (LH turn) where FS 2480 starts, just past Hamma Hamma CG? Need to make a run up there... :D
    dammitdave likes this.
  17. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've been waiting to ride the Elk/Jefferson Lake area for almost 2 years now. Road closures are starting to be a frustrating trend in that area.
  18. Captain Salmon

Captain Salmon Honda Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    Just new to the area from Missoula Montana, now living in Poulsbo looking for some guys to ride with. I may have met metal Carver at the BOM and Montana. Would appreciate any links to good forum threads for this area. Thanks
  19. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was on the gate on the far side of the bridge.
    LoFlow, judging by the amount of trash strewn about the forest roads we may be looking at more permanent closures. It's absolutely mind boggling! dd
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    3067 on the North side of Snider Mt. is open. I rode 30 miles down the highway to the only rain in the area..

Only mountain around with clouds on it.

[​IMG]

Had a pretty good idea what the view at the observation deck would be so went the other way.

[​IMG]
    Reeds Moto likes this.