1. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about an address and phone # for Ma ma's....if you think that's a good meetin' spot. Then we need to check the ferry schedule to see what (Edmonds/Kingston) ferry we need to catch in order to be at Ma ma's at a given time. How much time do you allow to go between Kingston and Port Angeles?
  2. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    I'd be REALLY interested in doing that on the DRZ. :clap
    My 22 year old soon too. If you are interested in such a ride in late August or in Sept. I'm in big time:thumb
  3. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    OH yes on a DRZ the trails are excellent, and yes late Aug is ok Sept is actually one of the best months around here.

my DRZ now has 170 miles on it....

what an incredible machine.
    BTW to get into olympic national park costs 5 bucks for a cycle.
  4. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    Kingston to Port Angeles can be 1 to 1.5 hours depending on traffic AKA BSM (Big Slow Motorhomes) Sunday traffic is mostly going east so you'r better off.

MA MA's is at....215 S Lincoln St. phone. 457-3585 (one of the only bakeries, cafe's open on Sunday)
  5. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    I buy my yearly pass as we visit the parks often. :deal

I'm looking forward to this ride!!!:jive
  6. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    10 or 10:30 is a great time to meet? is that ok with all?

weather permitting of course...

Greg
  7. CascadeThumper

Oddometer:
    Looks like Sunday (7-31-2005) gives those of us on the East side of the pond two choices: either the 6:30 a.m. ferry or the 7:10 a.m. ferry to Kingston. Arrive in Kingston in 30 to 40 minutes after Christine has lightened the wallet for the better half of $10.00 and Proceed to Ma Ma's Bakery in Port Angeles ( 215 South Lincoln Street, phone 360-457-3585 NOTE: Ma Ma's opens at 9:00 a.m on Sunday -- if someone calls them later this week with an approx head count, they will open the patio for us :1drink )

Now, can I get an annual Park Pass at REI?
    Is the ride going to be BIG GS Friendly?
    Shall we say departure from Ma Ma's at 10:00 a.m....will that work?

Current weather forcast suggests Sunny with high of 75....sweet!
  8. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    I would like to make it big GS friendly, that means gravel though, perhaps DRZ;s could take a side spur, or push the GS's a little on some single track.
    Then off beat a bit through highway 112, for a little coastal action? probably 50/50 gravel-pavement.

Greg
  9. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    I am thinking a little foot travel might be in order? anyone opposed to a 2Mi hike?
    anyone seen Marymere falls?

Greg
  10. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    Any idea of a head count, and does anyone use FRS communications radios in their helmets?

Greg
  11. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those date just may be doable for me
  12. CascadeThumper

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun. Later in the week I will know if I have any work conflicts. I have a Motorola Talkabout, but that's the limit of my radio gear. Not sure about the hike part....if the usual suspects show up, some have some rather cool GPS units and other bling-bling that shouldn't be left unattended.
  13. KingO

KingO Quarter Moon

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg, I would love to ride with you guys around PA sometimes. I live in Bremerton, and sometimes will ride in that area, I know the Foothills DNR riding area, and just did Deer Park and Obstruction Pt. this last week. My bike DRZ400E dosen't like long stretches of Highway (knobbies& low gears) but I'm game for dirt/gravel roads and single track, and some tarmac if kept to a minimum. If the ride this Sunday is going to be tailored more for larger dual sports, with highway riding out to Neah Bay, I may pass, but If you'r gonna take the DRZ and show us the hidden trails, I'm up for that. Let us know a little more about you may do on Sunday.

Brian

14. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    I think the ride will consist of at least one person bringing something over 1000cc. I would love to restrict it to below 1000, but if that's what someone has to ride, then that's whatcha got. I want to show folks something they haven't seen before, so the ride will be a little off kilter.
    what you mentioned, before is local to PA and really good, foothills is in my back yard, but tht's only 15mi of trails. although the trails are splendid now that they have logged and opened up the view!

I don't think an 1100 Gs could get past the first gate as the trail is rutted, and rocky, maybe they could with a winch or something. Would like to go there, but I think Sundays ride will be more road than dirt, maybe you want to pass. I love my DRZ stock! but I am thinking of a pipe and a rejet as long as it doesn't kill my MPG.

Greg
  15. yota

yota Wayde

Oddometer:
    Okay looks like I'm in for Sunday 10:00 at Ma ma's in PA GS friendly or ride small and fast? I will ride a small bike and risk more monkey butt if the ride is gravel roads and single track trail. Something about another 350 miles this weekend on a dirt bike has my butt starting to hurt.
    My butt wants a biiiiigggg seat.

Wayde
  16. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    Monkey butt is very probable, but I do want to stop quite a bit for some sights. I really really need some kind of idea how many bikes? if there are 50 bikes I am going to have to do some fillings or extractions on people.

oh yeah bring a big GS if you want comfort it'll be ok.....

Sorry DRZ guys like me will have to suffer chimp cheeks.

Greg
  17. CascadeThumper

Oddometer:
    Well, my guess is about a dozen bikes, but who knows??? You've got some great weather on your side and Lord knows the venue is superb. And then again, some of the avid riders are going to other events over the weekend. I'd love to see more of the area, but work could interfere. I won't know 'til the last minute, as usual. My ride is an F-650 Dakar.
  18. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    kinda misty, foggy, visability less than 5 miles.....hope we're ok for Sunday...

BTW, how many riders planning on coming?

(can you tell I'm nervous.......my first group ride.....be kind)

Greg
  19. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    Is there a protacol for rides like this? standard format, instructions for next of kin? papers that need to be filed? drinking rules? what usually happens?

Greg
  20. CascadeThumper

Oddometer:
    For proper protocol, I suggest you contact:

Tom Mehren tmehren@mm411.com

He's the force behind www.soundrider.com and puts on a DS ride erery month or so. They are fun and informal. No doubt, in our litigeous siciety, there are legal implications involved in offering your "guide serrvices" on a public forum. As I recall, Tom just has everyone sign a release form of some sort. I don't mean to throw up bunches of red flags, but I don't want to see you assume undue RISK, when your intention was just to get together with some DS types and enjoy the countryside.