1. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your help, yep paper trail would be good to have but who buys the beer? or do DS guys drink at all?

Greg
  2. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    Thanks Thunder. I've E-mailed Tom....

Greg
  3. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    yesterday went pretty well but one rider was soured. and I got to thinking maybe this isn't such a good idea after all......I'm not sure I have the right personality to put up with all of the crap people can dish out, the testesterone, or the conflicts that arise when a group gets together and comingle to make my life a living hell. I love to ride, but I do it to get away from crap like that, I deal with enough of the general public at work. Soooooo WARNING I AM PISSED OFF I believe it may be a good idea to take my knowledge of the area, riding experience, people I know like and respect that want to help me, and squash this before they get pissed off too. I thought it would be fun to help riders like myself enjoy the area I live in, but I don't think I can do that, I'm not sure I know what people are looking for when they ride? adventure? escape? for me it has been a religion since I was 10. I love just feeling the bike react, the smell of burnt premix....... is something deeper than just riding. I was hoping to share.....but damn .....I am afraid that it might ruin the love of riding for me.

So come to PA for a ride if you want.... I may or may not go along, it is easy to get to Obstruction point, costs 5 bucks, and takes 1.5 hours depending on how you ride. From there Neah bay can be had for 3 hours and that puts you back in town before 4pm, in plenty of time for the ferries

thanks for the chance. I learned my lesson....

Greg
  4. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread....rode the Griptwister tour with Dave McKay a few months back on the peninsula and loved every mile of it.

Bummed to hear about your experience, especially after your coming onto the board and immediately setting up a ride.

Riding is obviously a choice, and if someone isn't happy doing it in a given situation, then should be responsible enough to either make it work without compromising group integrity, or just turn around and pursue something else for the day. just my .02.

Anyway, I'm unable to ride right now, and would love to, am going freaking insane after 5 days....hope that you stick around the board, canine, and can do something like this again when I'm back on two wheels in a few weeks. :thumb
  5. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    Wait, what's going on here?

The ride you're organizing is going on Sunday July 31, 2005- right?

This is a motorcycle enthusiasts' forum. Having no insight into what stresses you endured yesterday, I'm somewhat confused as to your trepidation about following thru with your efforts on Sunday (tomorrow) with folks from this website.

I've not made plans to go on this peticular ride, but I would be interested on your definition of:

In my experience of riding with and socializing with members of ADVrider I've not had to come to terms with this event:
    Also, as a practical matter if you say this:
    you might not get a turn out at all.

Some of us think we've got something special here in ADVrider. Stick around awhile, get to know some of the online personalities, do a search on some of the things that have happend in the past that interest you, attend some the functions some of us host, go on some (always casual- with no legal overtones) rides and then make your mind up about us.

On a personal note, I have pulled-out of a ride mid ride for no other reason than sometimes I like to ride alone. No one's feelings were hurt, no harm was intended. I also organized one ride where only one dude showed up. You know what? No big deal. I had a nice time, it was a nice ride. It would have been nice had I been the only one there also. I've also bailed on rides where for one reason or another I couldn't make it. No worries.

If you haven't already done so, check out the ride reports area of the site. That's what this place is all about. Sharing a common interest in a sport.

Take it easy brother, hope it works out for you.
  6. yota

yota Wayde

Oddometer:
    I will be riding to PA tomorrow and I dont give a shit if anyone else goes as I will have a good time. I know enough about the area as I have ridden around there several times and have worked in the area for years. I Only ride for fun and If that isnt enough or if others have a shit for attitude then they can eat my dust or ride by themselves. Everyone has there own idea of riding. That is GOOD.

Hey by the way I too rode with Dave on the 3 day dualsport I only rode day one as I didnt trust the weather HA HA and did we ride? Never less than full throttle.

Wayde
  7. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm confused....

Today is Saturday, and you (Canine) say that after yesterday you are POed....
    So....
    did you have another ride organized on Friday (7-29-05) that I didn't pick up on?
    I thought the Sunday ride was the only one happening.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience and are throwin' in the towel.
    Maybe you'll reconsider at a future time.
    I enjoy the PA area and would like to see more of it.
  8. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    Hey I will be there in the Morn, I'm not that big of an asshole, I had a bad time with the gals Friday Today was the funeral for a rider that died on highway 113 last weekend. Almost hit a deer coming back from Soleduc, I figure maybe my luck is running out....
  9. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh, I'm lost here :dunno So there was a ride on Friday and sombody got there feelings hurt and then a ride on Sunday that went o.k. Don't get too down and out here. Most of us douche heads are o.k. I hope your willing to lead another ride, that's a great area and I'm always looking for more places to ride. Best hint I can give you is try to advise the riders what kind of ride i.e thumpers only, gs friendly, newbies, medium riding, advanced that sort of stuff and if somebody needs to turn around half way through well let it be. Now it looks like Stosh and myself will be out in Neah bay area next Saturday possible friday night if Stosh can quick talk the ole lady :evil Maybe we could hook up and you can show us a couple of places were both on GS.
  10. canine

canine Olympic mud man

Oddometer:
    First, I was willing to expose something very precious to me. My love of the area, knowledge and resources. Second I knew a rider that was killed last weekend much like one I was riding with, inexperienced, and careless. Third last Friday I was with two women with enough issues to be on Springer, and I ride to get away from that....................
    Sunday was beautiful, an exceptional day, it was nice to be with two exceptional riders, neither of which were female. My advice..... one should sell her bike before she gets killed, the other needs to ride something she can handle. Sooooo having burnt bridges here, and having had my nose bloodied by posting here I am resigning from ADV? I can't help but feel taken advantage of? even the cargo net I so graciously lent to secure my bag and pad was not returned.
    So to the two that made life miserable for each other, and myself, Finger well extended to both of you.

bye......
  11. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Buh bye...Asshat :asshat
  12. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:

Them are some harsh words.

You're probably aware of the issuses you have in your own life, I hope so because you're making them crystal clear on this internet message board. I hope you're working on 'em.
  13. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    Yes - That area Friday. And anyone that wants to come along should leave their bunched panties at home because we ride at 80 plus as a norm.

Canine - stick with it man - most riders know their limits and when to just ride at thier own pace. I have done it on several rides and caught up with the other riders at stops along the way. It goes with experience , I guess.

Hope to see you this weekend.

Enjoy
  14. GSguy

Oddometer:
    Those are kind of harsh words for a couple of ladys. Always remember we all started to learn how to ride at some point in our lives. Try to help the ones still learning. You will meet a very diverse crowd of people here and all I can say is take the good and throw out the bad and just try and go with the flow but be the bigger man and don't belittle people on this board.
  15. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    I didn't see this post earlier.

Not a good choice.

I agree with riding under your own experience level and to know when to break off and do your own thing if the group is riding outside your level- but this is a little too much my friend.

:bueller :puke2
  16. gentry

gentry For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer:
    Damn Canine. Your first post was something along the lines of a vendor or wannabe vendor. you offer to "show people around" and now your all pissed off at everyone??? We ALL ride, we ALL try to get along with each other. That is what this group is all about. "Something precious" to you???? Well what the F do you think riding is for the rest of us??? Before this crew I rode 99% alone and liked it. Now Ive met a good crew to ride with if I choose to. The great thing about advrider is the variety of riders, bikes and interests. you can take your pick from week to week. All you have to be is interested and open minded.

Its not your turf out there mate and I suggest you just chill the fuck out and let everyone do their thing and you do yours. If we co-incide then great. If not...well, Im sure everything will be fine.... If you've got issues with other riders then dont offer to lead....at least until you get to know them. If you had been following along the threads you would have known the skill levels and interests of the riders who came to meet you.

We've all had shit days and we've all been on rides that didnt turn out how we'd hoped they would.
    YOU offered to help/guide. No one made you.

I think the biggest problem is no one knew what the hell was going on....

maybe we'll meet and ride together one of these days.....maybe we wont.

There are some exceptional riders on this board. There are also some good people too. Maybe the people you "helped" thought you were an asshat? Did you ask? Maybe they arent happy with you but choose not to bitch and moan on the board. Maybe not.... I dunno.

Ive led riders on good rides and ive also been the slowpoke with the busted bike. I figure what goes around comes around....
  17. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    Just about done buying a bike from a member in OH. Looking forward to hitting some of the cool stuff out PA way. I know all about all the killer sport-bike routes out there now I want to find all the cool DS/ADV Tour trails. Anything you can point me too online (or road names I can look up) that won't compromise those closely held secret roads/paths? :)

Don't know how long it will take the finish the deal and get the bike here but as SOON as I does I plan to ride the tires off it! IN the mean time I have a street legal DRZ that I could putt out there but she's sort of old and crusty.
  18. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    Dang, didn't hear about he death on 113. That's some awesome road. Sorry to hear about it. I know I've had more than one close call with big woodland creatures on 112 (nothing like a big bull mid-corner).

I just got to the last page. .sorry you had what sounds like a bad time this weekend.
  19. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    Not to take sides here but this is what I know and what I think I know not what was said.

I rode up to Port Angeles and met Canine (Greg) at said meeting spot, there were other ADV riders there too, names not mentioned.....if they want to post to reveil themselves they can. Anyway we chatted for close to an hour over breakfast and Greg seemed like a great guy like many others I have met through ADVrider. He gave us a brief history and layout of the town and offered us maps of downtown PA and WA State --nice gesture I thought.:thumb

On the way to the restroom I ran into another rider, not from ADV and briefly told him who we are and what our ride plan was for the day. His name was Brooks and agreed to meet the others. :clap After a brief introduction to the other riders we off to Hurricane Ridge (on Sunday morning). Greg didn't always lead the pack, there were 6 of us including Brooks, and at times was the anchor guy --another nice gesture of him. There weren’t any conflicts of interest the entire ride. Once we reached the top we relaxed a bit soaked up the awesome beauty surrounding us, we eventually pressed on to an 8 mile dirt road which lead us to panoramic views of the Cascades and Port Angeles some 6000 ft below.:super
    Again we stopped for a break and to wipe the dust from our eyes and faces, the road was very dusty --anyway, we get off our bikes and Greg breaks out some mouth watering freshly smoked, moist salmon that his buddy sends him from Alaska (can't even buy it in WA) along with a block of cheese and gourmet crackers for all to eat --I thought this was very cool and it sure hit the spot. There was other snacks that were available as well. :spam I've never eaten smoked salmon that tasted so good. The entire time we were parked, a young female deer was circling the dirt parking lot. At one point she came within 4 feet of us, you’re not suppose to feed any animals in the park but people still do, that’s why she and other deer were being so friendly. (no we didn’t feed the deer):nono

Between having a beautiful day at Hurricane Ridge, almost dragging the 640’s foot pegs on the downhill twisties, :ricky and spending quality time with ADV riders on one of WA awesome landmarks I’d say this road trip was a success.

Personally I think Greg is a good guy and has a respect for others, perhaps there was some miscommunication between him and the two ladies that caused his feathers to get ruffled. Nonetheless, when riders G2G weather it’s a first for someone or routine for others we all experience folks with bad attitudes, inexperienced riders, show off’s, or whatever the case may be we all grow into our own and weed out who we ride with, there’s enough rides throughout the season to satisfy the meanest, grumpiest people, and most of them are Harley riders, or Harley wanna be’s. :strum On ADVrider many of us have good email karma and can joke around, highjack threads, offer endless advice, have general respect for others, and are savvy enough to read a post for what’s it’s worth. What was said in his post and what he’s like as a person are two different people –it does not jive. So don’t always judge a book by it’s cover or burn bridges so soon. (even if his posts were off a bit) time heals most wounds and it’s still a fresh cut…

Ride hard, ride safe, ride free

Darin
  20. GSguy

Oddometer:
    Well put Darin. Greg the last thing I want is you to think your not welcome around here, I wanted to say that so you know that. I would love to ride some of the roads that you know over there. I just think there was a huge gap in riding skills between the people involved and being such a small group of people it stuck out like a sore thumb. But the last thing I want to see here is people trash talking other people and that is for both sides. I think if your willing to take another group of people and show them the way that would be a blast and I would like to go, I think with all of this discussion about what happend we would not need to worry about any missunderstandings, just my .02 cents. Greg I hope you decide to stick around it's like all these guys said were a good group of mates and for the most part I think all of us can get along.