Port Clinton, PA (Hermy's BMW) route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by XPatriot, Mar 11, 2007.

1. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    With the promise of mid-50's and abundant sunshine I decided to head towards Hermy's BMW and take a look around the State Game Lands located in and around Port Clinton, PA. I was partially (OK, completely) inspired by this post A Few Pictures from PA this winter which decribed various trails into the woods around the area. So I whipped up a few waypoints in mapsource that looked promising and hit the road.

I packed light- just the tank bag with some water, snacks, cell phone etc. Here's the relatively clean 'before' shot in the driveway around 11:30am. GPS showed 60 miles to the first trailhead I wanted to explore in Port Clinton.
    [​IMG]

I tried to stick to back roads so I certainly didn't set any land speed records getting there. I passed 78 on Rt61 about 2 hours later (I got lost around Reading and had to backtrack a ways) and passed Cabelas looking for Lombard Road. It's about a mile beyond on the left- about 1/2 a mile before Hermy's. There was a lot more snow around here than back in West Chester. I also passed a bank that let me know it was only 42 degrees- no 50's for me! A couple of detours later I found this entrance into the State Game Lands:
    [​IMG]

I was a little wary heading up it with Tourances on but figured I'd give it a shot.
    [​IMG]

I went up around 1/2 a mile but the trail got too snowy and I was spinning the rear and digging in the front. It was a shame. It looked promising as it headed directly up towards an impressive hill. (I'ts noted as State Game Lands on the gpx file below). I dragged the bike around and headed downhill, back tracking towards 61 and looked for the second possible trail. I took a left another couple of miles up 61 north but realized I should have turned just before Hermy's- on Broad Street. I went over a single lane bridge and past the Antricite Railroad. Broad Street climbs and turns to gravel.
    [​IMG]

About 1/2 a mile up on the right is a cemetary- the small parking area was completey snow covered and impassible. If you read the previously mentioned post there is a picture of the poster's KLR in the exact same location.
    [​IMG]

Once again I had to gingery turn the bike around and head back to the gravel. I kept going and found a nice overlook. The road cuts right and then continues in the background.
    [​IMG]

There was a trail that head directly down towards the river. There was no way I was taking it- but others had at some point.
    [​IMG]

I remounted and continued to a parking lot. Dicey getting in as there was a lot of ruts that snow melt had created- I was up on the pegs and spinning the rear to make it up this far.
    [​IMG]

Looking up towards the top of the lot there was a snow covered trail. I'm not sure if when these trails are more passable they open the gates. There was plenty of room to get a bike around and it was labelled 'Fire Road'. The only restriction mentioned was for snow mobiles to stay on the tracks.
    [​IMG]

Again I slithered back to the gravel road and headed west. After another mile of so I hit a dead end :(:
    [​IMG]

Looking back from where I came from- bike getting pretty dirty.
    [​IMG]

I headed back, passed the lot and the overlook and tried to get a shot showing some of the surrounding hills. I took a few minutes to catch some warmth from the sun and eat some peanuts.
    [​IMG]

Heading back to Port Clinton I ducked into the Reading and Northern Railroad station. This is the enrance- across an old RR bridge.
    [​IMG]

This locomotive was running- I could feel the vibration from this distance through the soles of my boots.
    [​IMG]

Entrance to the station, with drop off circle.
    [​IMG]

They had a few huge blocks of Anthricite (the main cargo of the rail line). This chunk looks wet but the sheen comes from it's color- it was jet black.
    [​IMG]

Someone with a keen sense of imagination had put a little twist on the sign at the bridge back on Broad Street.
    [​IMG]

A lot of snow melt and last nights rain heading down stream. No one went over the bridge while I was on it- I guess the one F%$K (me) at a time rule is abided by.
    [​IMG]

Heading back to 61 the bank informed me it was now 39 degrees. Without heated gear I decided it was time to head home. 61 to 222 to 176 to 10 to 322. All the way into West Chester and warmth.

Here is the .gpx file of the route....I think it loaded. If it doesn't, pm me if you are interested. There was one more potential trail I wanted to explore but never got around to it. Also, just beyond Hermy's on the right are State Game Lands i'll check out next time. I'll definitely head back on a few weeks when the weather is warmer. View attachment 106926 If you have to go to Hermy's or are stopping by Cabelas it's not a bad place to go exploring.