1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Hope to Kenora loop. Suggestions. Paved only

Discussion in 'Canada' started by theshnizzle, Aug 31, 2020.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hubby is going to do a 4/5 day ride from the port hope area to kenora and back, trying not to backtrack.

he is thinking 28 N to 41 to renfrew. Riding along 17 up to north bay. Up 11 to nipigon. Up 17 to Ignace.

sioux narrows down to 11/17 then eastbound through marathon,Wawa, the Sault, then through Halliburton/minden home.

Any side trips or cool PAVED roads to check out along the way? Suggestions on motels or favourite campground, private and provincial. If the weather sucks, he will cut it short. He will be set up for camping but will motel if needed.

He will be riding a 2002 Honda VFR so no gravel. I see up in the Dryden area there are a couple loops one can do, is one “better” than the other?

As an aside, he fell asleep once on his bike and rode off the road. Broke his collarbone and rode the rest of the way home with it broken,from Bangor,Maine. That was a long ride back. He said he is going to use his cruise control which scares me even more. I have done that route a number of times and I know how easy it can be to zone out if you are tired or had enough of trees n rocks.

Anyway, he will be leaving in two weeks. I think it’s going to be a cool ride,especially in the mornings.

Any recommendations for bear spray?

thanks
  2. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    I was just up that way on my way out west. I think your plan is good so far, but I would include some twisty roads along the road to break up the longer stretches. I would suggest passing through Calabogie, the 518 near Huntsville, and the 638 near Sault St Marie: https://goo.gl/maps/6dQdJ62RqD92TZKZ6

Yes, the roads south of Kenora and Dyden are also worth exploring: https://goo.gl/maps/WGcxDxsiXKrhrkRx7
    Some have distances between gas stations over 150km, so he should fill up when gas presents itself.

I liked the Coach House Motel in Jack Fish Lake, just east of Terrace Bay, but wifi isn't the greatest there. It's very quiet and clean for an older motel. Nice lake nearby for swimming too.

In Kenora I stayed in the Lake Vu motel, which was decent. The room was a bit small and the parking area was on sloped ground which was a bit awkward. However the wifi was excellent and the motel is beside a gas station with a really good convenience store that also sells yummy potato wedges!

For camping along the north shore of Lake Superior I've stayed at both White Lake Provincial Park and Pukaskwa National Park and would recommend them both, especially the latter for awesome hiking trails. I've also stayed at Cache Campground south of Timmins and liked that spot too.

I find riding with a hydration knapsack is excellent for keeping me awake. Anytime I'm getting a bit sleepy, I just take a sip and it wakes me up. Also no heavy lunches - keep it light with small lunches and snacks like trail mix for slow release energy between breaks.
  3. OntarioHawk

OntarioHawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    28 is pretty boring in my opinion. I'd skip a little west to County Road 10 and run that up to Millbrook just outside of Peterborough. Run through Peterborough and north on Lakefield Rd, hang a left on Buckhorn Road, and head towards 507 which starts at Flynns Turn. At Gooderham, hang a right and ride the Monck Rd east to 28 and into Bancroft. From there 28/41/132 to Renfrew is a nice ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/FXDo1SwwkpLA5NG76

As an alternate I'd think about going north on 62 at Bancroft to Maynooth, then head east to Combermere, then north to Barrys Bay on Hwy 60 and aim for Pembroke instead of Renfrew.

Coming back Hwy 35 from Dwight all the way down to about Norland is a nice ride too, but nicer to head through Haliburton as mentioned although you'll end up on 507 or 28 coming south. You can come down on County Road 3 just outside of Haliburton off of 118 and run down to the Monck Road. This will spit you out just west of 507. From there you can head west on the Monck Road towards Kinmount and follow 121 down towards Fenelon Falls. From Fenelon you can head over to Bobcaygeon or continue south and meander your way south on concession roads down towards Port Perry or Bethany and then home to Port Hope.
  4. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    County rd 10 is literally 3 mins away from my house. Lol.
  5. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add 129 between Thessalon and Chapleau.